Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Samsung dryer, frustrating  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Joeyt56

• Technician
Re: Samsung dryer, frustrating
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »

So what is happening here, terminals 5 and 6 are not closing and there is no signal back to the board? If so, how are the start windings taken out of the circuit? I am missing something here.

Good question, I don't believe they are taken out. In the motor the only reason it switches to the run winding's is to increase efficiency.  The start windings are there for the added starting torque and set the direction of the motor but theres nothing that says the dryer cant operate on the start windings engaged is there?  I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me if I am lol. My guess is when the switch at 5 and 6 six fails the motor continues to run with the start windings, but the board cant see this because it doesn't receive a signal from the failed switch so it thinks the motor is actually off and wont close the heater relay.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. I just wanted to see if i was on the same page as you.Maybe we can get some more information or opinions on this.I was thinking maybe the contacts of the switch is breaking the circuit of the start windings but not closing 5 &6. Kind of in between.Did find a video of a similair model and at point 51 minutes gives some information on a very similar model.I we post if you want to take alook.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
Here is that long video. 

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »
Could be wrong but the way I am reading that diagram is that the start windings are on the left. The centrifugal switch has n.o. and n.c. side so the n.c. side that is connected to the start windings is broken but the n.o. side to give feedback to the board is defective and not closing the circuit. So motor can switch over to run windings but still not give feedback to board so board will activate heater relay.

Something to think about in the future when diagnosing as usually I would just jump the relay at the board to test and change the board.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
More opinions please.

Offline Joeyt56

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
More opinions please.

Ok so I think Ive gotten to the bottom of this. We are thinking mechanically, We are assuming that a bad switch means that it mechanically is not functioning properly which is ONE way for this to fail. In said case the motor would still run but on both the start and run windings no big deal if it does just wont run efficiently.

The second case scenario which is probably what most guys are encountering is a bad contact! The switch IS closing and IS dropping the start windings but because of carbonization on the contact the circuit is never completed when the switch closes!

Well... I still had the motor so I pulled apart the switch. It was still mechanically functioning but the contact on the neutral was black with carbon build up! The start windings disengaged but the poor contact would not complete the neutral circuit.

Makes more sense now right? I can take pictures of the contact and post later if you would like

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
The second scenario makes more sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:32:02 PM by dab147315 »

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
 Just wanted to update this, I ran into one of these the other day, previous tech had replaced the board and the heater had good circuit path and voltages and they couldn't figure it out so I inherited it.   I remembered this thread and checked the centrifugal switch contacts and sure enough the NO contact on the start winding switch was blown off and missing, when I jumped it out at the board it began heating.  Also found you can put the unit through the relay test mode where it cycles the motor relay on then the heater relay briefly letting you read the amp draw for about 10 seconds to prove that the board could cycle the relay if it wanted to...  none of Samsungs fast tracks or service manual for this unit mentioned this although it shows the circuit in the wiring diagram.  I suspect the idea was that when the centrifugal switch opens the start winding it closes this circuit which lets the board know that the motor is at full speed and then the board turns the heater relay on.   They just forgot to mention it in the tech literature...

Oddly I remembered this thread because I ran into one of these a year or so before finding the thread and I couldn't figure it out, unit was under an extended warranty and got bought out...   don't have that happen a lot so it stuck with me then made sense when I found this thread, and I'd bet good money if I could ever find that dryer I'd find a bad switch..

On a side note anyone know if you can purchase a generic centrifugal switch without the motor attached?   Seen enough switch problems that I'm kinda surprised I can't find just the switch for sale...

ABS-L2006-002 Samsung Frontier Dryer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4471
Last post August 17, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
by AJ
dv316LES/Xaa Samsung Dryer side venting

Started by Leonard707

Replies: 0
Views: 3445
Last post January 04, 2010, 01:14:22 AM
by Leonard707