OK here's where I'm at. I pulled the basket--no dead mice, no crocodiles, no socks, no panties. Nothing. I then reinstalled the basket. Before pulling everything apart underneith, I tried what AJ said....only on the machine. I reached down and spun the coupler by hand. The basket started spinning and the shaft was agitating. I reinstalled the agitator, and was now able to spin it counter clockwise (some resistance) and clockwise (freespin). So now, I'm gonna buy that lid switch and cross my fingers that it was the problem all along. One good thing. I now know how to disassemble and reassemble a Whirlpool wash machine. I need to pick up one of those little test meters. I'm betting it was the switch and I could have saved a lot of time and frustration by simply testing the switch in the first place.