Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Going round and round  (Read 538 times)

Offline JiffyPopJunkie

• VIP Member
Going round and round
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »

Hello! I have a kenmore series 80 washer that i periodically fix-never a big thing but this time might be more. The issue is as soon as it goes into the wash cycle the clothes will start to spin clockwise. It seems the lower part of the agitator pushes only one way causing everything to spin. The dogs are fine and the upper part is working correctly even under stress. Its not fast like the spin cycle but enough to know somethings wrong right off. I ran it empty and all was fine but with clothes resistance it would do the spin thing. Before i tear it all apart does this sound like a tranny issue or could it be the agitator being wonky?
Any ideas on what might be going on would be greatlly appretiated!

Offline haroldshell

• Technician
Re: Going round and round
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Sounds like a bad transmission, but if you can do the repair i would, this is a great machine.

Offline JiffyPopJunkie

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Update:  I figured it could only be two things thats causing my issue, either the worm gear is jumping teeth or the agitator is slipping on the splines. I tore it apart to find neither. The tranny seemed fine with no visable wear or skipping. The agitator did show a little wear so i replaced it. Put back together to have the same problem. Grr! After looking closely it looks as if the shaft moves under stress which im sure it shouldnt and is probably slipping the teeth but didnt show the wear because it just started. I hate to say it but if i cant a different plan of attack its off to the dumps.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
Have to agree - I'd replace the tranny with a 6 pad clutch and that baby will run for another 20 years. Not like all the new $1,000. machines that crap out after only 2 years!!!

Nothing like the olde Direct Drive Whirlpool/Kenmore's - Well worth the $130. you put into it.