Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG GR389R refrigerator is making a beep sound exactly every 15 minutes  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Ray_c

• VIP Member

My LG GR389R refrigerator is making a beep sound (.5 second +/-) exactly every 15 minutes.  The thing seems to be operating properly otherwise in both the refrigerator and bottom freezer.  The alarm that sounds when the door is open for more that a minute is working   There is a different sound (chiming) when the freezer temperature is adjusted and the LEDs step through the range.   This has been going on for a few days now and is mighty annoying.  I would be happy just to disable all of the alarms.  They don't seem very helpful.  By the way I have tried simply unplugging it, leaving it for a few minutes before restarting it.  Didn't help and a curious aspect is that it continued to beep every 15 minutes at the same time, i.e. - 12 minutes, 27 min, 42 min and 57 minutes.  Must be a battery in there somewhere keeping the clock.  Manual attached.  Thanks for any advice.  My first time here!

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
open the fresh food door. Hold the light switch in. Does the light go off and does the chime stop?
Open the freezer doof, hold the light switch in. Does the light go off and does the chime stop?
Sound like a possible bad light switch.

Offline Ray_c

• VIP Member
Thanks for the response.  The light switch works fine.  Light goes on and off.  There is no light in the bottom freezer section on this model.  If the upper (refrigerator) door is left open for a minute the door alarm will sound and stop when the door is closed.

The annoying beep sounds exactly every 15 minutes for Ĺ second or so, all day and night.  I really liked this refrigerator until this began.

I would be happy to figure out where the buzzer is that causes this and perhaps find a way to disable it.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
are you sure it's the fridge and not a smoke detector?

Offline Ray_c

• VIP Member
There is only one smoke detector in our condominium and it is 25 feet away from the refrigerator and in another room.  No, the beep is coming from the fridge.

Offline domain

• Technician
Light or no light in FRZR I would sure make sure the frz switch on left side rail is being pushed by the little sled on left rail. Peace

Offline Ray_c

• VIP Member
I found a flashlight just to ensure that I wasnít missing something and carefully checked the freezer door for a switch of any kind.  There isnít one anywhere.  Top, bottom, left, right or anywhere on the door assembly itself.

Just to make sure, I checked the service manual and the refrigerator door switch is clearly displayed in Figure 9 on Page 7.  There is no corresponding mention of a switch for the freezer door.

So, what am I missing here?

The manual was submitted as an attachment to this post.

Offline Thogek

• VIP Member
Re: LG GR389R refrigerator is making a beep sound exactly every 15 minutes
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:38:55 PM »
@Ray_c,

Did you ever find a real solution to this problem?

My LG LFXS30766D refrigerator just this morning started doing the same thing -- beep every fifteen minutes. No sign that anything is actually wrong anywhere, just beeping, beeping. Been going at least thirteen hours so far...

I've found a few other askings of this exact same question around the Internet, but, so far, no one seems to have an answer.  :(

ED25RFXFN01 Refrigerator not cooling and making a clicking sound

Started by ted82

Replies: 12
Views: 6142
Last post December 22, 2011, 08:44:32 PM
by ted82
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Making Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4664
Last post April 26, 2008, 11:25:19 PM
by TechnicianBrian