Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2783 times)

Offline bakeray

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jan 2010
  • Posts: 102
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »

In school this week we started Cooktops.  Ive spent this week tearing a couple of different models down, one gas, a Whirlpool, and one electric, a Dacor, and found somthing I cant figure out or find online about the gas ones.

Our sub instructor and our refrigeration instructor had answers, both answers made sense, but they wernt real sure because neither of them have dealt with the question I asked out in the field.

My question: If I bought a gas cooktop in Seattle and took it to Denver, would I have to change the orfices in order to use that same gas cooktop?

I asked this question because I ran across some problems in my research, some Viking gas ranges needing to be "rejetted" so to speak, for higher altitudes.

Offline jumptrout51

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Nov 2007
  • Posts: 1879
  • Country: us
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:12:12 AM »
I believe the break is at 5000 feet. You have to have more air shutter and possibly different orifices to burn correctly. A oven t-stat adjustment may have to be made also.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 8809
  • Country: us
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
You would need a High Altitude Adjustment Kit which would include a set of orifices.
You would also need to open the air shutters. The kit will come with instructions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:02:33 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bakeray

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jan 2010
  • Posts: 102
Re: Question
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
Thanks.   O0


Magic Chef gas stove question

Started by maypo52

Replies: 2
Views: 7801
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:12:57 AM
by maypo52
Maytag Range Model WW27430P Bake element question?

Started by Sue

Replies: 2
Views: 2909
Last post December 11, 2011, 08:02:45 AM
by Sue
Magic Chef stove question

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 3
Views: 2793
Last post May 15, 2012, 11:19:56 AM
by JWWebster
GE range Oven Control Board question JBS55SM2SS

Started by viking351

Replies: 4
Views: 3882
Last post July 12, 2012, 08:50:12 PM
by AJ
Kitchenaid f2e1 error / membrane keypad question

Started by repair-guy

Replies: 1
Views: 6093
Last post February 18, 2013, 04:20:37 PM
by repair-guy
Dacor Single Oven CPS130S which board question

Started by Wedgeman55

Replies: 5
Views: 4002
Last post August 21, 2013, 02:11:07 AM
by Wedgeman55