Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Model FWX833AS1 Frigidaire Washer started smoking  (Read 247 times)

Offline dennismv

• VIP Member
Model FWX833AS1 Frigidaire Washer started smoking
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »

Model FWX833AS1 Frigidaire Washer started smoking during normal operating cycle, with full water tub and several bed covers as a load.  It also sounded weird, kind of like not operating continuously but sporadically, perhaps struggling, not sure how to explain it.  Smoke was visible and had a smell.

Is it possible to see/figure out what was wrong with it?  Is the belt okay, are any parts out of place, is it leaking oil?

I took some photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xb1hwjf0sl8bj2r/AAC99ghBkiWOwuU9zrh4WcjLa?dl=0

And a video:

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Model FWX833AS1 Frigidaire Washer started smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
Slide the belt off and see what turns and what doesn't. The belt looks pretty rough. You'll need one of those. Check the idler pulley to see if it spins freely. It looks like there is some burned rubber on it.
Idler assembly part # 131862900. Belt part # 134511600

Offline ATIguy

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
Yeah I agree with the last post, It sounds like there's friction on the belt causing it to rub and make that burning smell
ATI

Offline dennismv

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
thanks scrapiron and ATIguy. I ordered the  parts & will see later if idler spin without the belt on.

I was also concerned if the dampness under the large wheel is oil, or water, and if that needs any attention.  And also if the large wheel is in the "right place", aka that the shaft did not slip down, because it looked kind of low to me.  Although it is on the same plane as the idler pulley so maybe it is okay.

Also, is it safe to continue using it now?  Will it be safe to use it after new belt or pulley is put in?

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
Not a good idea to use it until it's repaired. Probably would be a good idea to see if the idler will spin freely before ordering and replacing it. While you have the belt off, make sure the wash basket will spin by hand as well.

Offline dennismv

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
Thanks.  I took the belt off.  The idler appears to spin freely - I made a video of that. The wash basket turns okay when turning it by hand, and once spun, maintains its inertia for a few seconds as well.

Video of Idler Pulley and belt spin

Some more photos showing the belt, which turned out to have a crack, and the pulley:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcy4cdjzujgqbf9/AAAReOtHvYdk4Ncu_QjVmPq4a?dl=0

Is it possible to say anything about the transmission assembly?  Does it sound okay?
And, scrapiron, I am surprised you said the belt looked rough before I discovered the belt crack.  That's pretty good!  I did not see anything "out of the ordinary" on the belt before taking it off.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:03:05 PM by dennismv »

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »
It may just need a new belt. You ask how did I know about the belt? It's what I do. I drink whiskey and I know things. 😉
Seriously though, it looked like pieces of the belt in the base and half the time whenever you look at one of those belts, it will have cracks and burned spots.

Offline dennismv

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
So I replaced the belt and idler pulley.
Why replace idler pulley?  I say why not?  Since I ordered it already.  Maybe it was a needless task, but at least now I know it's a new one.
Plus old one was green inside and yellowish on the outside.

The new belt is put in, and it is tighter - you can see that the idler pulley is more taught.

Washer Repaired:

Also added 2 more pics (new/old idler pulley and transmission)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tjc8fwwv24y23a8/AADtxl1V3XMeA4hn6d4mgPdba?dl=0

Thank you for helping me with this!  That was super.

I do have a couple of post-repair questions:
  • on spin-up there is a high-pitched sound that the belt is making.  Is that normal ... ?
  • Before doing all these repairs by myself + getting generous forum help, I had a heating&cooling company come out and check my washer.  I have home appliance protection plan and they came under that plan.  They spun it a few times, and looked at it and said things like: this machine is toast, it's leaking oil, the transmission shaft has slipped down, don't use this machine, and what they wrote down on receipt was "found bad transmission, not covered by policy".  They did not bother changing belt/pulley.  So I'm a little miffed about their work or lack of it.  Looking at transmission with my untrained eye, I don't see oil.  I do see some residue of dust and discoloration around the rim under transmission, felt it with my finger, etc. it is not slippery, more like gunky.  So far no one in the forum mentioned any issues relating to transmission, and machine seems to be spinning fine, the shaft seems fine, and with new belt, I'm hoping there will be no more issues with the belt smoking.   
The only thing now is perhaps not overload the machine and to confirm that it empties out fine before the spin cycle.

P.S.  Changing the idler pulley was a PAIN. The C-clamp was a pain to pull out.  I unscrewed the side panel to get to it and had to maneuver my arms and hands and head and neck in most awkward angles, my gosh.  Putting it together was a little bit easier.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:35:57 PM by dennismv »

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
Glad I could help. That bit of a whining sound as it starts is a sound I'm not familiar with. You could try cleaning any rubber or residue of off the motor pulley and see if that helps. The belt is a special belt that is designed to slip as the basket is coming up to speed. You may also find that the whining sound stops after a couple of loads.

Frigidaire Washer - Smoking and smelt like rubber burning

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 12397
Last post April 15, 2008, 06:44:01 PM
by Repair-man
Frigidaire Washer Smoking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4372
Last post July 19, 2008, 07:00:19 AM
by TechnicianBrian