Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Frigidaire s/s fridge comp amp draw confusion  (Read 198 times)

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
Frigidaire s/s fridge comp amp draw confusion
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:17:26 AM »

I am totally confused on what a fridge amperage draw should be. I have read on many sites that the compressor on fridge should draw .5 to 1 amp though others say it can go as high as 1.5 and if it goes higher then comp is working too hard and could have bad windings or is on way out. On this Frigidaire fridge ,no cooling, both fans working, no ice on evaporator, that I can tell,comp running, but no cool. I took amp draw with my clamp meter and got a .02 , I attached my gauges to the low side and got 0 psi, At this psi I would think fridge would be cool, but it is not. I tried some gas but the psi jumped to 70 plus psi and stayed there. I am thinking at .02 amp draw and comp staying at 70 psi,, after applying a little gas,,that comp is bad or and also have a restriction on dryer. Any help appreciated thanks.i am still in house getting ready for the day and model number on this beast is in truck. Have a blessed day

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Frigidaire s/s fridge comp amp draw confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:20:48 AM »
Hello Gregaguilar,I think the hose that you attached to the schrader valve had a bad depresser so that it was not depressing on the shut off pin,so no refrigerant was flowing from the system to the gauge,therefore it showed 0 psig.When you put some refrigerant in ,the refrigerant was not going through to the system,it was stuck between the hose and the depressor,that's why it read 70 psig,which was the pressure  of the refrigerant at 70degrees Fahrenheit.Does it make sense?

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
Well shillion I appreciate ur input but what about the .02 amp draw on compressor. I am thinking since everything else is working and no cool , compressor is going to be the culprit. Thanks1t

Offline dewitt8884

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:05:42 AM »
Low amp draw and high reading on the low side is a bad compressor.

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
Fwiw my understanding of compressor amp draw is that generally the running amp load is gonna be 1/10th the locked rotor amp rating on the compressor plate...   this isn't a hard number and will go up and down depending on where in the cycle you are... more at the beginning, less towards the end... but generally gives you a good idea of what to expect...  this does not apply at all to linear compressors..

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
Afterbladt u don't make no sense ,yes with a good comp but not one that is having problems already. I have Been looking st graftgrafts,sorry about the spelling here but I don't think u understand what it's all about and me too.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Greg,did you touch the compressor to feel it is actually running?And examine the evaporator for some frost?If compressor running and very little or no frost would mean out of refrigerant and would draw less current.

Frigidaire fridge leaking on floor

Started by centralappliance

Replies: 4
Views: 7012
Last post August 18, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
by BrntToast
Kenmore (Frigidaire) Fridge Leaking

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 7
Views: 5541
Last post August 29, 2010, 08:58:37 PM
by JWWebster