Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Thin Twin will agitate but won't spin certain times during cycle  (Read 211 times)

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, looking for some much needed help.

I bought a Whirlpool Heavy Duty Thin Twin 24" Stackable Washer n' Dryer unit from a mom n pop shop.

Model # LTE5243DQ3, it's definitely an older unit but still works fine for the most part.

My problem is that during the "Normal" wash cycle, the washer does not spin as it should all the time. It fills up with water, agitates, then stops, drains and acts and sounds like it wants to spin but doesn't. BUT, if I push in the washer knob and then pull it back out, it starts spinning and works great. I have to do this two times during the "Normal" cycle.  When it gets past those two points on the cycle and comes to the "Spin" section, it spins fine, no help needed.

Any ideas of where to start? I've seen people online with similar problems but not the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
You either have a burnt contact on the timer or could possibly have a worn out clutch that needs to be replaced - does the non spin occur when you have a heavy wet load in it? You might want to pull the clutch down and see if it needs placing. Let us know what you find

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member
The non-spin occurs at the same two spots in the "Normal" cycle even when the washer is empty.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
Timer issue definitely burnt contacts - most technicians would replace timer but I've done this so long I'm actually an engineer at heart - I've taken the timer apart sometimes clean contacts and it works sometimes there so badly pitted you have to buy a new timer i usually find the bottom row either the 3rd contact or 1st contact pitted so badly ( there are 3 rows of contacts)

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member
Ok great, I'll tear it apart, see what I find, and report back!

I am curious though, I've seen some other posts on here and other forums mention a bad lid switch. I'm sure this one is bad cause the washer or dryer doesn't stop when you open the lid, could that be part of the problem also?

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
Yes but the washer has its own lid switch and the dryer has it's own door switch totally separate from each other

You can always bypass the lid switch temporarily (only for testing only) by applying a paper clip or a small piece of wire to the hot leads of the lid switch from behind the back of the molex Connector to test switch.

Inspect the lid switch is it cracked at all or does it still click when you push down on it? If you have a ohm meter you can always test it with the ohm meter,

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member
The lid switch on the washer was no good at all. The previous owner "worked" on this as well and had it taped together with masking tape. Looks like I'm ordering that as well. I went ahead and ordered the timer as well. My timer had what looked like plastic rivets that were one time use, I didn't care to break into the box and then have to rig it closed again. All parts should be here by the 25th, will update then!

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member
Well, unfortunately after replacing the washer lid switch and timer, the washer still only drains but doesn't begin to spin during its cycle until I stop and start the washer.

It's so odd to me that the washer will spin just fine when it gets to the "Spin" portion of the cycle but for some reason won't do it earlier in the wash cycle until I stop and start the washer. I've seen some people say that it's not supposed to spin but I know that can't be true. The washer drains and even as it's draining it begins to make the noise like its spinning below the tub and the washer even shakes a little bit like its spinning. It doesn't make sense for all of that to be happening just to drain the water. Something must not be engaging until I stop and start the machine again, then it starts spinning

The washer tub is leaning back and to the left just a little bit when it's not in use, could that be a problem?

Offline jonathanpjames10

• VIP Member
Now I am curious if it has been functioning properly the whole time. I timed it after it drained, the washer starts spinning on its own after about 3 minutes.

It just seems so odd that the motor would be working all that time and not actually spinning anything

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 38002
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer - No Agitate or Spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4788
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:58:27 PM
by AJ