Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: KitchenAid kssc36mhs00 freezer intermittent  (Read 1550 times)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: KitchenAid kssc36mhs00 freezer intermittent
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »

Yes that would be the next step.Werid you shut it off by the power switch and it comes on,but give it a try.
WP1113466 if you buy the part from this company and it does not fixed  it you can return it but lose the shipping both ways.Good luck.

Offline nj323ci

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Yes that would be the next step.Werid you shut it off by the power switch and it comes on,but give it a try.
WP1113466 if you buy the part from this company and it does not fixed  it you can return it but lose the shipping both ways.Good luck.

Thanks!
Part ordered. I'll keep you posted.

Alex

Offline nj323ci

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »

Back with an update. Replaced the freezer thermostat and same issue still. I did notice that when the freezer stops cooling, the defrost timer also stops moving. Keep in mind I replaced the defrost timer with 2 new units just in case with the same outcome. Still turning unit off and back on resolves the issue 90% of the time and defrost timer starts moving normally again.
What would cause the defrost timer to stop advancing? What triggers the advancement? There are 4 wires so I'm assuming it is looking or sensing for some kind of signal correct?

Any other ideas? I'm running out of ideas at this point.

Also as an FYI the compressor never stops running while the freezer is not cooling. Only thing that turns compressor off is when the defrost timer hits it's 25 min defrost stage.

Looking forward to your response.
Thanks!!!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
Quote:( Also as an FYI the compressor never stops running while the freezer is not cooling. Only thing that turns compressor off is when the defrost timer hits it's 25 min defrost stage.)    I am at a lost too.Unless someone else on here has a opinion please jump in.Was hoping it would be one of those parts you replaced but at this point maybe call for service.Sorry i could not help you get this thing up and running.

Offline nj323ci

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
Quote:( Also as an FYI the compressor never stops running while the freezer is not cooling. Only thing that turns compressor off is when the defrost timer hits it's 25 min defrost stage.)    I am at a lost too.Unless someone else on here has a opinion please jump in.Was hoping it would be one of those parts you replaced but at this point maybe call for service.Sorry i could not help you get this thing up and running.

No worries... thanks for all of your help and patience with me. Appreciate the effort! :thanks:

Offline Chuckp

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »
I am having the exact same situation with my side by side, but my model is kssp36qjs00.
I have replaced the following myself and still have the problem
Bimetal switch, condenser fan, overload sensor, start relay, timer switch, and lastly the thermostat freezer side

All ohms for compressor are normal range.   
I have the last part today which is the run capacitor. 

It is really funny that it is exactly the same as your troubles.   Have you had the tech is for repairs?  If so what was the trouble??

Thank you in advance

Offline Chuckp

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 06:02:24 AM »
I forgot also did evaporator motor in freezer section

Offline nj323ci

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
I am having the exact same situation with my side by side, but my model is kssp36qjs00.
I have replaced the following myself and still have the problem
Bimetal switch, condenser fan, overload sensor, start relay, timer switch, and lastly the thermostat freezer side

All ohms for compressor are normal range.   
I have the last part today which is the run capacitor. 

It is really funny that it is exactly the same as your troubles.   Have you had the tech is for repairs?  If so what was the trouble??

Thank you in advance

Hi
That's very odd you have the same problem.

What is a "bimetal switch"?

I'm thinking of trying the heater thermostat next. Maybe that is staying stuck open. Are you having the same problem with the defrost timer stopping?

I haven't called a tech in yet. Trying to save some money. I talked to him on the phone and he suggested the freezer thermostat which I replaced with no luck. Let's maybe work together to try and figure this mystery out. What do you think?

Offline Chuckp

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »
The bimetal switch , is the defrost thermostat.  The heater can only run during the 25 minutes it is in defrost.  The bimetal switch opens when it reaches a predesignated tempature in the freezer thus turning off the heater and coming back on when the temp reaches much colder. Most are about 42 degrees or so and makes contact again about 15-20 degrees.  Remember it is in a small part of the freezer  so the upper temp comes quick. 

I to had the timer stop, which is why I changed it first.    I will update later today after I receive the,run capacitor which is probably the last part to be able to be replaced by me.   Next step is to decide if this does not fix it is to call a tech and is it worth repairing a 16 year old freezer or give in to a new 6-8000 dollar one

Offline nj323ci

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
The bimetal switch , is the defrost thermostat.  The heater can only run during the 25 minutes it is in defrost.  The bimetal switch opens when it reaches a predesignated tempature in the freezer thus turning off the heater and coming back on when the temp reaches much colder. Most are about 42 degrees or so and makes contact again about 15-20 degrees.  Remember it is in a small part of the freezer  so the upper temp comes quick. 

I to had the timer stop, which is why I changed it first.    I will update later today after I receive the,run capacitor which is probably the last part to be able to be replaced by me.   Next step is to decide if this does not fix it is to call a tech and is it worth repairing a 16 year old freezer or give in to a new 6-8000 dollar one

Thanks. That was the next part i was going to change. Do you have any frost buildup on the coils behind the freezer panel? I was going to remove the rear panel today to keep an eye if the coils are freezing up. Usually the actual panel gets frost/frozen as well and I have not seen that.

Let me know how the run capacitor works out for you. I'm thinking this may be main board related. It's been 2 days not and mine is working fine. I expect it to stop again later today. It's the normal process.

KitchenAid Bottom Freezer Drain clogged- need to remove drawer to gain access

Started by tcape

Replies: 17
Views: 79713
Last post September 24, 2015, 08:49:50 PM
by AJ
Kitchenaid Freezer door stuck closed?? Help

Started by rongrzywacz

Replies: 4
Views: 2418
Last post September 12, 2014, 09:40:06 AM
by rongrzywacz
Kitchenaid - startup after being unplugged - Freezer first?

Started by rongrzywacz

Replies: 1
Views: 780
Last post September 12, 2014, 09:58:52 AM
by dab147315
Fridge/freezer not cooling, new condenser fan intermittent while compressor runs

Started by Valicore

Replies: 11
Views: 3137
Last post January 03, 2015, 08:11:07 AM
by dab147315
Kitchenaid Refrigerator KSRG25FKSS16 Freezer Too Warm

Started by FloridaFan

Replies: 6
Views: 1301
Last post November 07, 2015, 10:16:03 AM
by FloridaFan
Defrosting freezer - Please help!