Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool direct drive top load timer interchange?  (Read 717 times)

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
Whirlpool direct drive top load timer interchange?
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »

Hello all! After spending pretty much all of last night installing new clutches, drive basket, motor coupling, drive nut, etc, etc to try to get my Whirlpool lsl9345eq1 to spin reliably I was finally able to sort the problem down to being a bad timer. I opened the timer up and the contacts inside it were burned to a crisp and only have just a little bit of the contact pads remaining. I was able to file them clean, and it's "sorta" working reliably now, but that's probably not going to last long. My model has a 3951912c timer in it, which through various different model numbers over time looks like its been discontinued. Looking around at what is still available, the 3951702 is a dead ringer for it in pictures.

Any change that thing interchanges, but maybe the dial won't line up right with my model plate or something fairly trivial like that? Or... Could I just rob the contact module out of it and drop it in my 3951912c housing? I can't determine the physical size of the timer in pictures, but everything "looks" like it would work.

Thoughts? If I can't get the thing to run reliably I'm going to have to replace the entire unit and I'd prefer not to do that right now...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Online dab147315

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool direct drive top load timer interchange?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
You have to go by the part number not by just because it looks like your. You might have to get it used or give this company a call. http://www.midwesttimer.com/appliance-oem.html

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I called them. They were the manufacturer of it when it was still being produced, which was over 3 years ago. No dice.

I get it that I should go off of my part number, but I can only buy what is for sale. I was kind of hoping maybe a tech would have that other, current, WP part laying around and could put a tape measure to the contact box for me and see if it's the same size as what I have. If it is, I'm betting I can Frankenstein one together and I'd risk the gamble that it would work.

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
I went ahead and bought the current part # from Amazon, so if it doesn't work out I can pay the return shipping and everything is as it was. I should have it Sunday. I'll come back and update the thread so if anyone else ever Googles that part number they can see what I'm attempting.

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
The new part number is physically the same in every way to the old one. The connector is the same and the pinout label on both of them is exactly the same. It also lines up on the decal exactly the same as the original,  at least for the "Heavy Wash" setting (or Super Plus, or whatever it is actually called) which is all I ever use. The only slight difference between the two timers is to the spin cycles from what I can tell. There seems to be an extra spin cycle before the rinse cycle begins (the machine spins, then stops for a moment with no sounds of any kind, and then a minute or so later it spins again for another couple of minutes... maybe on some other machine this is intended to be different spin speeds or something?) and the final spin cycle used to dispense extra water 3-4 times for a few seconds while spinning where this timer just dispenses extra water once, but for much longer.

Both spin cycles also seem way longer than they used to be and I'm personally looking at that as a positive thing since more spin should mean less water in the clothes when the go into the dryer. It also seems to spin way faster than it used to, which sorta makes sense if it was getting a poor electrical connection from the timer before. Of course I have no way to confirm that since I'm just eyeballing it.

I have no idea if the other settings on the dial work properly or align with the decal and I personally don't care. I can nearly confirm that if someone wanted to change just the contact packs over from one physical housing to the other, they are highly likely to interchange since they are dead identical housings. When I plugged the new timer in it just worked, I didn't have to bother to try it myself.

So... It looks like my gamble paid off. I have no idea if this will be a lasting repair to the machine or not (maybe the motor is fried too from the timer going out? Who knows...?), but the timer does what I expected it to. It's also a little frustrating the Whirlpool doesn't list it as at least a partially compatible interchange, but I guess they're probably not in either the business of offering parts that may partially work (or totally... like I said, I haven't bothered with the other settings, but everything clicks and pops in the timer like they should work) or supporting appliances from 1997 until the end of time.

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
Glad you got it going. :cheers:

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
That makes two of us!  O0 I also think the spin cycle works better now than it ever has in the 11 years I've owned that machine. Drying times are dramatically reduced (by 1/2 or even 2/3... Sometimes I had to run the dryer for 3 hours to dry some heavier items).

I was ready, but not "ready" to go drop $900 on a Speed Queen if this failed and I'm pretty happy that I can put that off for a little while. Hopefully this thread will be of some use to someone that may not have that option.

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
The machine ran perfectly this past weekend and now I just went down to the basement and it's the exact same story as it was. It agitated and drained, but no spin and it stopped trying between the wash and rinse cycles.

This is really starting to infuriate me. About the only things that I haven't replaced are the motor, capacitor, and transmission itself. The door safety switch is working fine and the transmission seemed to be fine when I had it all apart to replace the clutches it didn't need.

What in the world is wrong with this thing?

Online scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Lid switch or broken wire/bad connection at the motor?

Offline maxwelhse

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:20 AM »
Everything looks legit, and the switch seems to work reliably when I mess with it, and after I let it cool off for about 10 minutes in the "off" position on the knob last night it ran like a scalded dog for the next 2 loads. Seriously, when it's working it runs better than it ever has. I'm thinking it just can't be the motor or transmission because that would give me problems all the time, right?

Since I haven't been able to catch it in the act, I can't confirm if it comes on and just "hums" instead of entering the spin cycle or if it simply does nothing like a lid switch problem would indicate. I'm with you in your thoughts about wiring or the lid switch. Do lid switches ever cause intermittently failures or low voltage conditions?

3949238 Whirlpool Direct Drive Top Load Washer Lid Switch

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4253
Last post May 29, 2009, 04:58:33 PM
by AJ
Common Repair Parts for the Whirlpool Top Load Direct Drive Washer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 17918
Last post July 04, 2011, 05:48:01 AM
by AJ
3949247 Whirlpool Top Load Direct Drive Washer Lid Switch

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4753
Last post May 31, 2009, 01:30:03 PM
by AJ
285792 Whirlpool Washer Top Load Direct Drive Basket Drive & Brake Assembly