Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Dishwasher tripping house breaker  (Read 640 times)

Offline davebro10

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dishwasher tripping house breaker
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »

Wondering if there is anyone who might provide some trouble shooting tips.  My Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU2700XTSB0 (approx 6 yrs old) is tripping the CB on my house fuse box during the wash cycle.  Opening the door, it is warm and there is water in the bottom.  From the sound it appears to trip after entering the wash cycle.  If I reset the house breaker power comes back on the washer.  If I hit resume the washer continues for  a few minutes then the breaker trips again.  I reset the breaker and hit the cancel and the water drains so the pump is working.   I ran a rinse cycle which according to the manual, has no heat and the the cycle runs fine.  I thought perhaps the heater element was bad as it does have signs of wear (blisters, discolored).  Removed the element and continuity check showed I had continuity through the element.  Thought perhaps the element was shorting somehow after heating?  Not sure what to check next.  Any suggestions?

Offline manden

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Dishwasher tripping house breaker
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:33:55 AM »
Since the heating element is blistered it should be replaced even if it is not the cause of the breaker tripping.

Remove power from the unit, then disconnect the heating element.
Tape etc. the heater wire connectors to be sure thay cannot shout to each other or anything else.
Then try a normal cycle. If it runs than the heater is the most likely cause.

Note that an error may come up due to the water not heating.

Offline davebro10

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Manden, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. 

Prior to your message, after verifying the element was working, I reinstalled the element and ran the dishwasher on normal which heats water to 120F...no problem.  Then ran it again with hi temp water option (water temp 140F)... again no problem.  At this point I can't even duplicate the problem.   This happened about 6 mos ago and I just cleaned and tightened the wire connections.  Thought I had nipped the problem then and the washer ran fine until Christmas Day.   I'm thinking now I just wait to see if it happens again and if so can try your suggestion.  Not really comfortable with a "ghosty"  electrical problem out there lurking but don't think there is much I can do at this point.  Agree?

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
I sort pof agree.

But as I said if the heating element is blistered as you said then replace it.
This is a safety issue.

Discoloration is normal as it is usually just soap residue.
Blistering is not normal!!!

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
During the wash cycle, when the heater comes on to heat the water, that is the point at which the dishwasher is drawing the most current. Is there anything else on the circuit that the dishwasher is connected to? If so, move that other electrical device to a different circuit. I have seen instances where the circuit is shared with a refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier. If the dishwasher is in a wash/heat cycle and the refrigeration compressor on the same circuit as the dishwasher starts up, that will trip the breaker.
Nuisance tripping can occur if the breaker that the dishwasher is hooked to is a GFI breaker or if the breaker is weak. In this case, replace the breaker with a standard properly rated circuit breaker.

Offline davebro10

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
Manden and scrapiron,  thanks again for your comments.  I've ordered a replacement element and grommets.  Also verified the dishwasher is not on GFI and is isolated on the circuit.  Dishwasher seems to be working fine but will replace element as suggested.  At least if it blows the breaker in the future I will have eliminated the element from concern.  Thanks again.

GE dishwasher tripping breaker

Started by ValleyJim

Replies: 2
Views: 1949
Last post October 22, 2013, 05:38:19 PM
by ValleyJim
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 10903
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 26634
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Check for foreign objects in food chopper.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 26372
Last post August 08, 2007, 12:43:21 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 20232
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Dead whirlpool dishwasher