Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Fresh food Ice up Pantry freez Samsung RFG298HDRS/XAA  (Read 1619 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Fresh food Ice up Pantry freez Samsung RFG298HDRS/XAA
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:52:46 AM »

OK  I have seen several post with this problem, and know there is several things to check.  Tonights research took me to a post from one of the guys I respect on the net.  He defines the problem is the freezer section is going to the default -14 degree point when
ice maker bucket is not full..  Samsung manual tells you this.

the problem is this: The drain tube for the fresh food section runs down through the lower freeze section, and when the freezer is at -14 any water accumulated, small drops even, will roll down and slowly build up and ACCUMUlate over time, in what he Called a deep plug condition.  In other words the first place to freez is not at the top but in the center of the fresh food drain.

If the Ice maker is not producing enough Ice, or the bar is not sensing, that refrigerator is freezing at -14 or trying to.  The front display is not a accurate method to tell the actual temp at evaporator.

if you are not using the Icemaker, set it to no ice.

make sure the Ice maker is in tip top shape.

set freezer to a higher setting.  And youll have to read the manual and understand their preset, and variances..  still bone-ing up on that my self.

now my question is this, because I could not see in the picture.  I would think the drain tube running through freezer is actually behind a panel.  True or ...is it exposed and can be seen in freezer.

The term duck bill was used.  What is the duck or duct bill.  I am still in research mode and will look this up.

The warranty people have swapped out some stuff, my customer said, another guy was going to come back, but never showed up.

still looking for service pointers and such.

I am wondering if it can freeze the Fresh food tube  at the -14 setting, what really stops it from doing the same at 0.

sounds like to me this is a insulation problem.

looking for any source of small drips in fresh food, so it does not accumulate deep down in fresh food drain tube. or any seal problems allowing condensate/humidity.

my plan was to install a WP drain kit, but that wont keep the freeze from occurring deeper in tube.  Now it looks like we need a tube wire heater that wont melt the tube and goes a little DEEPER IN THE WELL BOYS.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Re: Fresh food Ice up Pantry freez Samsung RFG298HDRS/XAA
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:55:17 AM »
Found this on site here
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11671.0;attach=6732

One post said there was seven service bulletins, pointers.  Any one got a complete list?
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Re: Fresh food Ice up Pantry freez Samsung RFG298HDRS/XAA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:42:49 AM »
Has anyone installed one of these in tube,  what watt?.  I had come across a post where some had used this.  Some RIGGED it.. to stay on all the time. 

I can see installing it in series with defrost heater so it comes on during cycle..  This one I found at Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-SH500-Drain-Heater-Lead/dp/B00VVKI7PS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31au7F4R05L&dpSrc

Ive got to get to bed..lol

Water leaking into and underneath pantry drawer samsung rfg298hdrs refrigerator

Started by Jcfitness

Replies: 10
Views: 12336
Last post October 11, 2014, 04:00:03 PM
by wsbones
Samsung french door ice maker RFG297AARS maker in fresh food compartment

Started by curjones

Replies: 6
Views: 2038
Last post October 19, 2015, 11:21:35 PM
by curjones