Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer will not start drum  (Read 825 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag gas dryer will not start drum
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »

I just bought a used /junk dryer ---a Maytag gas unit with model number MGDC200XW1 that looked like a new one from the outside. When I plugged it in to 110 Volt and pushed the start button I got a buzz but the drum would not turn. The drum was removed and a jumper hooked up to the door switch connection and I retried it. No help when the button was pushed even w/o a drum. If I spun the motor a bit  and held the push to start button in the motor would run fine but I had to hold the push to start button in all the time to keep the motor turning.( I also found one of the T-stats on the heating column not functioning so it was replaced and the glow stick now heats and the gas valve solenoids appear to work OK)   The push to start button does not appear to have any relay coil associated with it and appears to work OK. The motor is a 1/3 HP unit and the centrifugal switch appears to function OK as it comes up to speed or shuts down. The motor does not show any sign of binding or overheating. I am reluctant to put another motor in due to cost and am asking for help before I spend a lot of time and money on this unit.
Any suggestions as to the next step ?

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag gas dryer will not start drum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:45:47 AM »
As a follow up to my previous post I was able to find a used motor  in working condition with a different shaft setup that I put into place and hooked up electrically for a test. It worked OK but the shaft arrangement was slightly different however and would not allow the belt to run in proper  alignment. This unit was scrapped after taking all the usable items off.  When I took it to a local scrap yard I knew the price of scrap was pretty low and it is only $ 0.02 per pound. Not hardly worth the gas money for the trip.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Last week I took 1 Range, 1 Washer, 6 Dishwashers and 5 Microhoods to the scrapyard and got $13. I think I will start charging a small disposal fee.

Offline BryanS

• Technician
  • Refrigeration specialty
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
We have a big dumpster and a company comes once its full. I think we used to $400-500 a pickup.  Now I think its about $100-150

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
I just bought a used /junk dryer ---a Maytag gas unit with model number MGDC200XW1 that looked like a new one from the outside. When I plugged it in to 110 Volt and pushed the start button I got a buzz but the drum would not turn. The drum was removed and a jumper hooked up to the door switch connection and I retried it. No help when the button was pushed even w/o a drum. If I spun the motor a bit  and held the push to start button in the motor would run fine but I had to hold the push to start button in all the time to keep the motor turning.( I also found one of the T-stats on the heating column not functioning so it was replaced and the glow stick now heats and the gas valve solenoids appear to work OK)   The push to start button does not appear to have any relay coil associated with it and appears to work OK. The motor is a 1/3 HP unit and the centrifugal switch appears to function OK as it comes up to speed or shuts down. The motor does not show any sign of binding or overheating. I am reluctant to put another motor in due to cost and am asking for help before I spend a lot of time and money on this unit.
Any suggestions as to the next step ?
  I see you selling older appliance than this and sounds like you needed a motor that you could buy new for around 50 dollars.If you don't mind me asking whats is your rule what to fix and what not to fix?

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
A general rule I use is the repair item has to be $50 or less. If a motor, heating element (electric dryer), or a timer is bad it is questionable as to repair. I try to salvage these items from other dryers and use them for repairs to keep the cost down. GE electric dryers use a heating coil that is replaceable for a decent cost but the front bearing support for a GE units is a piece of junk . Old Maytags and Whirlpools are the easiest to work on and low cost parts are plentiful on E-bay. The old rotary timers are something are sometimes a problem area on these old units. The small 110 volt motor wears out the plastic gears inside its housing. I salvage these as much as I can. If a gas valve is in need of repair and a used one is not available the dryer is pretty much scrap as the valves are very expensive as new.
Hope this is of value to you.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
 O0  Thanks

Maytag dryer drum won't revolve and makes noise when pressing start button

Started by KathyWI

Replies: 9
Views: 9383
Last post September 09, 2011, 09:40:54 PM
by AJ