Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Dishwasher not heating with new heating element. Suggestions???  (Read 2442 times)

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
Dishwasher not heating with new heating element. Suggestions???
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »

So my Whirlpool dishwasher stopped heating the water and doing the heat dry cycle. I checked and sure enough the heating element was bad. Replaced that and still no heat. We ran part of a cycle with a multimeter attached to the leads and it never received any current. I'm wondering if when the heating element blew it blew something else as well. Is that possible or likely? The dishwasher runs fine other than the heat portion. It was a fairly inexpensive dishwasher, $400 or so. Wondering if its worth trying to fix or get a new one. I am really strapped for money and having to replace a dishwasher would hurt right now financially (planning a wedding).

I should also say I am not the most handy and repair inclined person. I had help with the element replacement. So anything complicated I would most likely have to call a repairman to help with. So i'm trying to factor the cost of that into the equation when considering fix or replace.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Dishwasher not heating with new heating element. Suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »
WHATS THE MODEL number lol I have seen so many dif causes O0

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
It is WDF310PLAW4.

Thanks!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »
See if you can put it in a diagnostic mode.Here is the tech.Sheet. Read about it.

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
See if you can put it in a diagnostic mode.Here is the tech.Sheet. Read about it.

Thanks I will try this when I get home. So after I run this mode should I just run an empty load or what exactly after putting into the mode? Sorry I am not savy when it comes to these things. Thanks for being patient with me.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
Empty This video may help.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »
When any part of the heating cycle gets interrupted...bad element, thermal overload or even if unit is not circulating water because of bad pump or no water....whatever the reason...if the control senses no temperature rise for a certain amount of time it will trigger a heating error...either F7E1 or E2. Once that error is logged then it will continue to run cycles but will not heat...even if you replace the bad component. The only way to get it to start heating again is to clear the error code. This is easy but can be a bit tricky...

best thing for you to do is to read the manual on how to enter diagnostics to read error codes. The unit will store up to 4 error codes. Once the last one has been displayed you can press the hi temp key and that will clear the error code. You can then cancel out of diagnostics and enter it again to be sure you successfully cleared the error.

Hope that helps...let us know.

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
Wow good to know. Thanks for that. I will try that this evening. Sadly I had some stuff come up this weekend and wasnt able to spend anytime messing with it. But I plan to tonight. I will def give this a shot.

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
When any part of the heating cycle gets interrupted...bad element, thermal overload or even if unit is not circulating water because of bad pump or no water....whatever the reason...if the control senses no temperature rise for a certain amount of time it will trigger a heating error...either F7E1 or E2. Once that error is logged then it will continue to run cycles but will not heat...even if you replace the bad component. The only way to get it to start heating again is to clear the error code. This is easy but can be a bit tricky...

best thing for you to do is to read the manual on how to enter diagnostics to read error codes. The unit will store up to 4 error codes. Once the last one has been displayed you can press the hi temp key and that will clear the error code. You can then cancel out of diagnostics and enter it again to be sure you successfully cleared the error.

Well I tried this and it doesn't seem to do anything when I press the hi temp button. It just continues on doing the diagnostic. I have tried several times and the error still appears when I try the mode again. I did just run a load for about 5 minutes just to check and there appeared to be steam when there hadn't been before doing this and the heating element was hot to the touch. But I still get the error.

Offline clokwise

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »

Well I tried this and it doesn't seem to do anything when I press the hi temp button. It just continues on doing the diagnostic. I have tried several times and the error still appears when I try the mode again. I did just run a load for about 5 minutes just to check and there appeared to be steam when there hadn't been before doing this and the heating element was hot to the touch. But I still get the error.

Ok well another update. Regardless of it not giving any feedback and still showing me the error code for the heating element it appears to be working. I ran a load just to see and THERE WAS HEAT!

Thank you baldwinappliance for that little nugget of info. You saved me about $500 on a dishwasher. Thank you thank you!

Dishwasher leaking at heating element

Started by randyj

Replies: 5
Views: 6148
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:03:01 AM
by BrntToast
Whirlpool dishwasher DU8000 Still will not heat. I replaced the heating element

Started by Dennis1105

Replies: 7
Views: 1104
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:15:49 PM
by Dennis1105