Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Kenmore cold spot, freezer not cooling enough  (Read 1505 times)

Offline sunnyblueskies

• VIP Member
Kenmore cold spot, freezer not cooling enough
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new here......
Having a problem with our Kenmore cold spot refrigerator.
Model 106.56879601

We noticed since a while that the freezer wasn't staying as cold anymore. Ice cream got mushy/gooey, other things started to thaw and then freeze again. The food items on the middle and lower shelves were affected most. Bit the bullet and started to investigate.

Coils under the fridge were dirty, cleaned them up to allow better airflow. Waited a couple days, nope problem persisted.

Took everything out of the freezer and removed the panel covering the evaporator coils. All Coils have a thin layer of ice on them, fan is running. Just by luck a defrost cycle started. Defrost element get's hot, thaws ice, turns off, fan starts, coils ice up again. Refrigerator part stays nice and cool.

Pull the fridge out from the wall, compressor feels hot to touch. Fan is running, but how do I know it's running fast enough and how do I know how hot a compressor gets normally and what is too hot? Not sure if there is enough airflow under the fridge.

Stuck a thermometer in the freezer, while it's freezing the temperature is an average -12 C/10F. During the defrost cycle the temperature goes up to 0C/ 32F. Keep in mind, this is without any food or shelves in the freezer, the thermometer sitting inside the ice dispenser up top in the door.

I don't know how to approach this from here. My first thought is that the defrost runs maybe too often? Or maybe too long?

Which parts should we test and how do we do it?
Help, please!!! :embarassed:

KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD

Started by whit

Replies: 3
Views: 9389
Last post December 17, 2008, 06:52:14 AM
by whit
Kenmore cold spot front edge of freezer HOT

Started by childoflights

Replies: 24
Views: 5696
Last post September 15, 2014, 06:17:34 PM