Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Evernote - Member since Jan. 3rd 2013  (Read 3103 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Evernote - Member since Jan. 3rd 2013
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »

Any other fans of Evernote out there?

I have been using Evernote for a few years now and would be lost without it.

If you don't know what Evernote is check out this video.

https://youtu.be/UoDcIuGr3LM

If you use my referral link below to sign up for a free account I get some points to use towards my premium membership!

https://www.evernote.com/referral/Registration.action?sig=e6cc2f4a24abcd945307bd71e41b64dc&uid=37380696

Would love to hear from others on how they use Evernote.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Evernote - Member since Jan. 3rd 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
I use it, and it has saved me a lot of times.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »
I used it a little but settled on MS Onenote.  I like the folder structure of Onenote. It's free and I have 25 gigs of storage grandfathered from Skydrive. I rarely use paper anymore, when customers call I put them on speaker and start typing on my phone. I'm hoping Microsoft will integrate it with Sunrise calendar they bought last February. Then it would be almost perfect.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
I tried onenote for a week and ended up going back to Evernote.
Evernote is also free or you can get premium membership for unlimited storage and a few other perks that I could probably live without but I don't mind supporting Evernote with a few bucks as it's something I pretty much use daily.

Seems like there are so many other apps and programs that also let you "send to Evernote".

Offline Hackalar

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:30 PM »
@aj what do you use it for? I had it for awhile but never found a use. Maybe I didn't play with it enough.

Do you have all the service manuals on there?

Offline Hackalar

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »
I tried onenote for a week and ended up going back to Evernote.
Evernote is also free or you can get premium membership for unlimited storage and a few other perks that I could probably live without but I don't mind supporting Evernote with a few bucks as it's something I pretty much use daily.

Seems like there are so many other apps and programs that also let you "send to Evernote".

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
  I have Evernote premium. It's great for storing manuals on my smart phone. If I am going to a no service area I download the manual before I get there.

I know all that can be done on a laptop or tablet but I don't like to carry those with me. It's more convenient to have what I need on my phone.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »
@aj what do you use it for? I had it for awhile but never found a use. Maybe I didn't play with it enough.

Yes I have all my service manuals and other service docs in my Evernotes.
Evernote search feature is awesome as it searches not only the titles of the service manuals, but also the text inside them all at the same time.

I also have years worth of local newspapers in my Evernotes.
I had been saving the .pdf files of our local paper for years longer then I had been using Evernote, but after seeing how usefull Evernote is I decided to start storing them in my Evernotes.

I use Evernote for so many things. Not just work related, but many personal notes too.
Evernote has a built in document scanner that I use for taking photos of receipts. It quick and easy to snap a photo of the receipt and Evernote fines the edges to crop it and what ever else it does with it's magic.

I take photos of model/serial tags of everything, not just the appliances I work on, but things I purchase for myself too.
There are many notes I make with one reason in mind, but then later on, days, weeks, months later... I end up looking up the note I made for another reason.

I use the Evernote web clipper in my browser to save and organize information I come across online to my Evernotes.

Well shopping around for larger items such as a gas grill or snow blower I have taken photos of the price tags with Evernote at the different stores.
When I purchased my last gas grill the place with the lower price was out of them. A few weeks later in another town I found the same grill in stock but $50 more. I asked if they price matched. They said yes, so I looked up the photo of the price tag in my Evernotes and was given that price.

Have also returned stuff with photos of receipts I had saved in my Evernotes as I no longer had the paper one.

Evernote can also use the gps in your phone, so you can tag the location the note was taken. More useful then you may think!

You can also create audio notes, but I don't use it for that.

The more you use Evernote the more useful it becomes. It's more or less like creating a personal database for yourself.
As your Evernote database grows the more you find yourself using it, for everything! haha

I take far more notes with my phone and Evernote then I ever did with pen and paper.
So much easier to look up things in my digital notes too then pen and paper notes. :D

Offline Hackalar

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »

Yes I have all my service manuals and other service docs in my Evernotes.
Evernote search feature is awesome as it searches not only the titles of the service manuals, but also the text inside them all at the same time.

I also have years worth of local newspapers in my Evernotes.
I had been saving the .pdf files of our local paper for years longer then I had been using Evernote, but after seeing how usefull Evernote is I decided to start storing them in my Evernotes.

I use Evernote for so many things. Not just work related, but many personal notes too.
Evernote has a built in document scanner that I use for taking photos of receipts. It quick and easy to snap a photo of the receipt and Evernote fines the edges to crop it and what ever else it does with it's magic.

I take photos of model/serial tags of everything, not just the appliances I work on, but things I purchase for myself too.
There are many notes I make with one reason in mind, but then later on, days, weeks, months later... I end up looking up the note I made for another reason.

I use the Evernote web clipper in my browser to save and organize information I come across online to my Evernotes.

Well shopping around for larger items such as a gas grill or snow blower I have taken photos of the price tags with Evernote at the different stores.
When I purchased my last gas grill the place with the lower price was out of them. A few weeks later in another town I found the same grill in stock but $50 more. I asked if they price matched. They said yes, so I looked up the photo of the price tag in my Evernotes and was given that price.

Have also returned stuff with photos of receipts I had saved in my Evernotes as I no longer had the paper one.

Evernote can also use the gps in your phone, so you can tag the location the note was taken. More useful then you may think!

You can also create audio notes, but I don't use it for that.

The more you use Evernote the more useful it becomes. It's more or less like creating a personal database for yourself.
As your Evernote database grows the more you find yourself using it, for everything! haha

I take far more notes with my phone and Evernote then I ever did with pen and paper.
So much easier to look up things in my digital notes too then pen and paper notes. :D

That's pretty awesome. I need to look at it again.

Did you pull the service manuals from your drive account? Was it pretty simple?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
You can pull the service manuals from a number of places, does not really matter and yes it's simple.

Checking my sons car over today before he moves for college.
The antifreeze reserve was low so and I had to go get some.

When I got back home with it I got out my phone and opened Evernote.
I started a new note, took a photo of the reserve level before I added any, a photo of the receipt, a photo of the label on the jug of antifreeze I used and a photo of the milage on his car.

Now I may never have to look back at any of that information again, but I have learned that it's better to make a note of such things then to be trying to remember just what, when and how you did something week, months or years from now.

Maybe a week or month from now my son will check it again and it will be low. Will I remember off the top of my head when I added antifreeze or how low the reserve was before? Probably not, but I can look it up in Evernote.

Will my son know what to look for if he has to go buy some antifreeze a week or months from now even though I showed him today, probably not. But I can look up the photo I took of the jug I bought today and share my Evernote with him.

There just seems to be a endless use for Evernote once you start using it all the time.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
btw: in the case where you take a photo of something with Evernote like the jug of antifreeze I talked about above the text on the label in the photo is OCR by Evernote so all the words on the label in the photo show up in your search results too.

Take a photo of a part next to the box with a part number on it, you guessed it... part number in the photo of the box now shows up in your Evernote search results. :D

What is OCR?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_character_recognition

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
With Evernote web clipper you have many option to save stuff you come across online.
Save the whole webpage, highlight just the text you want and save to Evernote, etc...

https://youtu.be/zcVF6GRaZho

Very handy...
https://evernote.com/webclipper/