Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: 30 years and my time is here  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
30 years and my time is here
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

A  year and a half ago I had to shut down in home service completely.  Lower half is shutting down on me.  Trying to keep my health up and working as much as I can.    I decided to see if I could handle "just the drop offs" I have a large shop with all the equipment a tech could require for doing the drop off aspect of servicing  right in the shop.

Am 69, have really good pensions, and don't have to work.   But I love doing what I have been doing for 30 years.  So far on Johns most reliable major appliance repair forum, not much has been mentioned on the topic.

If you guys are getting close to that time in your life and are having troubles seeing, hearing, and getting up and down, plus your energy levels are not there,  then its time to make those changes.

In my case I am still 20 from the hips up, but 69 plus from the hips down.   I don't have a lot of get up and go like I used to.    The drop offs have been the best thing to happen to me, and really happy to have made the move when I did.

I am as busy as I want, plus I always have money and work.   Why do I still want to carry on?     I love doing what I do.

If your time is coming like mine has,  consider the "drop off service".  No more up and down stairs, or apartment.  No more waste of time carrying the tool caddy and forget the meter.   And no more cleaning your tool and caddy, then apple juice spilt all over your tools.

I have 3 scisser tables to take the machines off the trucks,  onto my scisser tables, lower it and I can sit on my stool and get at things.   No more laying on the floor.

Things have been much better for me.   Have a population area of 8000 people. Lots get the out of town,  but I am as busy with the drop offs.    Hope this post can help just one old timer that his time is there and wonders what to do.

Thanks to Johns forum muchly, and also to all the tech that contribute.    Brent@CanBC

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: 30 years and my time is here
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
I have given this some thought.

I'm still doing well, and don't have any health problems, but I know that I'll get old, and will only have the retirement that I can provide myself.

As far as retirement goes, I really don't think anyone will get anything like they expect.  All the gov't & military, union, social security, and whatever included.  When the money is there, it is stolen, and when it isn't there, broken promises won't pay bills.

I've thought that what I would do is get myself a shop and just do repairs.  Repairs on anything, not just appliances.  And, like you suggest, they have to bring it to me. 

Another option would be to have a laundromat.  I could fix & maintain the machines myself, and just sit drinking coffee with the old farts the rest of the time. 

It would probably be good to do so in a smaller town.

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:05:04 AM »
The goal is to keep yourself healthy by eating the right things, getting enough exercise and taking health drinks that purge the body of contaminants like cholesterol
 and chemical/metallic impurities.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:40 AM »
Brent ----  I know where your at.   I am still in pretty good health,   but Im getting some aches and pains associated with old age.    A little artheritis here,   a little knee and hip pain there.     I do know it won't get any better.     One alternative - I knew several repairman who were in their 80's and still out doing home calls.    How did they do it?   Had a young kid they would take with them who would do the physical labor,   and they would sit there and direct.   Pay a kid 100 a day and you can still make a decent take per day without doing any of the physical labor yourself.   Plus you teach a kid a new vocation.  A win for both you and the kid.    Something to think about.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »
I would use an older person and pay more. Presents a better  image of competence.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:18:29 AM by go400 »

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
Currently, people tend to hire older folks.  This is mainly because older folks have the responsibility and basic job skills.  Really basic - like showing up on time, being polite, not mouthing off to folks with complaints, and being neat and clean. 

There was an article about the death of shop classes in high school, and the corresponding loss of hands on know-how.  People still desperately need skilled tradesmen, but there is less and less opportunity to learn those skills.  The trades also provide a good living for someone, and there is no need to go to college.

Getting a good kid and taking him on as an apprentice could be the best opportunity that that kid will ever get.

'Course, schools being what they are these days, you may have to teach him to read and write, as well.   ::)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:38 AM »
Maybe I should have said "younger" rather than a kid.    I agree,   kids are usually unreliable.    Someone in their late 30's or 40's would be better.     Just a thought,   a way to keep your feet in the fire even though you become incapable of doing some of the physical work yourself.     One guy I know,  a retired "blue" guy brings a helper with him all the time.    Anything he can't do,  the helper does.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Eddy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
Good for you Brent,you just gave me an idea and thanks for that!For one I don't want to drive all over the place anymore so the shop idea is perfect solution for my happy days.
still beating the drum

Offline UncleRodge

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Flipping Appliances
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »
Hey Brent!  I know where you are coming from!  After 3 heart attacks, Abdominal Aneurysm Repair & Cancer in my right eye, I too have semiretired!  Thank the Lord, my kids have all but taken over.  Now I just post ads, order parts, write posts on my blog and whatever I can behind the computer.

Although I have only been Buying, Selling & Repairing appliances for a little over 18 years.  I too love it! I Know of no other business that you can get your product for free or almost free, fix it and sell it and make a great profit.

Congrats on knowing when to make the change to your advantage.  It has been hard for me to transition, but with the same type symptoms you have, we don't have much of a choice.
I have read your posts from time to time thru the years, and just wanted to say  :thanks:

There are a lot of good folks on this forum and others and I hope to contribute more now that I have more time on my hands!  God Bless you in all you do!  Rodge
www.flippingappliances.com Learn how to Buy & Sell Appliances on a Shoestring Budget!

Sick and Tired of Being Fat? http://bit.ly/123itsgone

All you can do is all you can do, but all you can do is enough!  18+ Years Buying, Selling & Repairing Appliances

Offline Eddy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Nice intro rodge,
I am new here and enjoy the input from the regulars on here,your story is a good one and much appreciated by me and others I'm sure.

After building homes in southern california of renovations and add on's and running an hvac business for 9 years my body is felling the aging pains as well.So that being said I look forward to renting a shop and starting out like you did 18 years ago.

I wonder how hard it is to post pictures with this story? ::)
still beating the drum

Marine Corps 234 years baby!

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 2
Views: 2544
Last post November 11, 2009, 06:40:55 PM
by AJ
Time for a break

Started by bakeray

Replies: 1
Views: 2419
Last post January 26, 2010, 03:35:38 PM
by AJ
profile is not on daylight savings time

Started by viking351

Replies: 2
Views: 2848
Last post May 05, 2010, 05:55:58 AM
by AJ
Want to go from part time to full time in appliance repair

Started by mike k

Replies: 13
Views: 4686
Last post November 06, 2011, 03:59:37 AM
by Brent@CanBC
Long time going.

Started by theoldstoveguy

Replies: 5
Views: 2645
Last post October 11, 2011, 04:51:53 AM
by rego
ApplianceJunk.com turns 5 years old today.

Started by AJ

Replies: 16
Views: 7014
Last post July 09, 2012, 12:32:22 AM
by Brent@CanBC