Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds  (Read 16222 times)

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 01:58:51 AM »

Hi everyone,

Parts are due to arrive Monday, was hoping for them tomorrow =/. Little bummed at AppliancePartsPros shipping time, but I didn't order until Monday evening and live in California, so I guess it could have been worse, c'est la vie n'est pas? Everything is all cleaned up and ready, will be installing everything Monday evening after I get home from work. Also, I think I've figured out how to open up the washing machine, but I won't tackle that mini-project until the dryer is repaired. I'll reply here when the project is wrapped up!

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
Well, this is a cluster !#$!@$!!!! The parts arrived today and I got everything put back together and now neither the washer nor dryer are working. Here is what each is doing:

Washer: Over the weekend I decided to glue the light window in place. This required taking the front off and taking all 4 bolts out for the top cover. I was then able to super glue the window in place. Unfortunately, I managed to break an ancient space connector while I was tightening the front left bolt that's a PAIN to get to. So, I went to O'Reilly auto parts, purchased a wire stripper/crimper (that ended up being a total POS), and a pack of spade connectors. I then re-stripped the 2 brown wires that led into the spade, and then re-crimped it. Sadly, the crimper did a terrible job and I need to re-do it with a better crimper I'll hopefully be borrowing tomorrow from a co-worker. I expected that my crimping job would suffice, but alas, the circuit board panel is displaying an "L," which according to the troubleshooting guide means "Unbalance Condition." I have nothing in the washer, and it won't fill with water. I'm at a complete loss...here's a picture of the spade connector before I broke it:

http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/broken_spade_connector.JPG

Dryer: Even though I had nothing in it, I wanted to see if at least SOME of the fruit of my labor was successful. So, I turned it on the only thing that happens is the light on the "Regular" button blinks red. All of the buttons work, but the red light won't go solid on. I'm 99% certain I properly reinstalled and reconnected everything! Any advice on wrapping this repair saga up is beyond appreciated, I'm ready to go Battle Royale on thing.

And here's the real kicker: I was so confident in my repair job I put EVERYTHING back together (all panels, etc.). The only thing I didn't do was slide the washer back under the dryer (thank God). *Sigh*...

Much thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:08:23 PM by Sniperman »

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
In my post immediately above this, I had a bad URL for 15 or so minutes that I've now fixed, sorry about that! I also put a red box around the connector to make it more obvious. I got annoyed so I went back downstairs to my garage and took the front cover off of the washer, and the lower front cover off of the dryer. Here are some screenshots and short movies:

Washer, all connectors are seated: http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/all_connectors_in_place.JPG
Washer, my repaired spade connector: http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/repaired_spade_connector.JPG
(It concerned me that some copper strands were visible, but I figured the repair would suffice. I'll fix this tomorrow night when I have better tools.)

New Washer symptoms: http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/washer_symptoms.mp4
New Dryer symptoms: http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/dryer_symptoms.mp4

As you can see at the end of the washer movie, I was dumb enough to try starting a load without first testing everything and now have detergent in the bottom of the washer =/.

Thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:52:49 PM by Sniperman »

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:02 AM »
I just found the following post regarding the washer's L issue:

Source URL for both:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/questions-for-whirlpool-control-assembly-33001048-ap4042232.html

"You'll need to remove power to the stack set, and remove the front panel off the washer. You'll need to check the micro switch 10533003 and wires on the lid latch assembly. You'll also want to move the washer out far enough to access the umbilcal cord, disconnect it and check to make sure the pins and receptacles are all clean and properly seated and locked in place. These are low DC voltage circuits, and it doesn't take much to make them "fail". The L is for the lid lock and the E2 is normal for the dryer. You will need to look for loose connections or a bad lid lock assembly 206598."

I pray I didn't damage the lid lock assembly as it's no longer manufactured! I can't imagine my repair job was that bad! =(

And here's a post regarding the dryer's flashing light on "Regular", it appears to be the partial same post as above:
"The L is for the lid lock and the E2 is normal for the dryer. You will need to look for loose connections or a bad lid lock assembly 206598."

Are my 2 issues related to the same problem? I'll be so incredibly relieved if it all boils down to that one spade connector I thought I properly repaired! I find it hard to believe that an issue with my washer would affect the ability of the dryer to function...

Thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:04:13 AM by Sniperman »

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:07 AM »
Your washer problem is likely from your wire issue. May have damaged micro switch it is plugged onto. Push the red button on switch and see if it clicks. Also your out of bal switch (bottom of your pic) switch with rollor arm needs to be checked. Your dryer check wire connections to door switch

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
Hi Maytag Man, thank you for the prompt reply! What is the expected behavior if I press the red button on that micro switch? Also, how do I check the out of balance switch? I did no work in that area of the washer, so I can't imagine it has miraculously broken within the last 2 weeks =/. Regarding the dryer, I'm 100% positive I reconnected all of the wires to the, going to far as to use reference photos I took during the dis-assembly process. I know this because it was a ROYAL PITA to simultaneously hold the door in place while standing on the washer while re-attaching all of the spade connectors =/.

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
I removed both the micro switch and unbalance switch last night, and tested them both today. Here are the results:

Micro Switch: Perfect continuity that changes when the button is pressed (goes from 1 to .001, and creates a solid tone).

Unbalance Switch: Had very uneven continuity with a very garbled/broken up tone. I then noticed that one of the terminals had a lot of blue oxidization on it (this is the copper terminal that one of the 2 brown wires from the micro switch connects to). I cleaned all of the blue crap off of the unbalance switch and it now tests perfectly (1 to .001 with perfect tone). I'm going to see if I can hit the spade connector up a little bit with a wire brush that connects to the unbalance switch as it too has blue oxidization on it (despite this it tested with 1 to .001 with perfect tone). I figure it couldn't hurt to try to clean it up a little bit before I reinstall the switch.

I also tested the continuity on the ghetto spade connector I installed and it also tested perfectly (1 to .001 with perfect tone).

All told, I'll be incredibly surprised if a dirty terminal on the unbalance switch is the cause of my washer getting stuck in "L"/Pause mode, as it was working fine 2 weeks ago.

I'll also be taking the front of the dryer off this evening and will once again compare all the wiring to my reference photos, making sure nothing is unhooked/dangling, and that everything is in its rightful place.

Any thoughts/input based on any of the above?

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, your dryer has a motor relay. Check for 24v to two small wires on relay.

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
I'll take a look at the motor relay/24v thing you mentioned. That said, I believe I may have finally found the culprit(s):

1) I noticed the middle connector was unplugged on the front-panel electronic circuit board (this may have occurred this evening when I almost dropped the dryer cover while working on it alone. I was able to squeeze my hand behind the cardboard and plugged it back in, and as I went to plug everything back into the wall, I noticed the next issue.
2) The dryer's power cable had a severely ghetto "fix" performed by the prior owner. I can't believe I just noticed this after unplugging/re-plugging the power cord probably 30 times over the last 2 weeks during all my testing! Here's an image of the power cable, sans duct-tape that was peeling off (and a little bit of electrical tape that was covering the exposed copper) that I removed before I took the picture:

http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/fubar_power_cord.JPG

Some quick back story: This washer was purchased via Craigslist from West Oakland, so none of this should be surprising. When I received the stackable unit 5 years ago or so, my friend and I noticed the exact same issue with the WASHER's power cord, and we fixed it up PROPERLY. I can't believe I just now noticed the FUBAR dryer power cord after all this time. I'm guessing it got messed up over the course of the last couple weeks with how many times I unplugged it from the wall and then just let it drop to the floor. If I recall correctly, my friend and I noticed the damaged washer power cord when it started exhibiting very strange symptoms, likely similar to what I'm currently experiencing. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if everything works again after properly repairing the dryer's power cord. As a quick aside, I did test the washer and dryer this evening after getting both switches re-installed and the same problems were still occurring. I'll reply here once I've fixed the cord and gotten everything put back together (may not be for a few days unfortunately)! Please cross your fingers fixing the cord resolves my issues once and for all!! =)

Thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:22:31 AM by Sniperman »

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
I took a look at the questionable power cord repair job last night, and it looks like it was actually acceptable. I haven't had a chance to re-repair it yet, but I'm now doubtful this was actually causing my problems. My friend is going to be kind enough to help me with additional diagnosis when he gets back from Burningman, so I'm going to take a step away from this project for a week or so, and will post back here when I have additional findings/a success story =).

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
So, Sniper, what was the final outcome?

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up Maytag Man, I'm still waiting for my friend to make himself available to assist with further troubleshooting. He's been MIA since getting back from Burningman lol. Will post an update here ASAP! =)

-Snipe

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
Despite my friend and my beliefs, fixing the power cord fixed both machines! At first we did a quick fix with electrical tape, and once this fixed things we properly fixed both power cords with solder and heat shrink. This long saga is officially wrapped up. Once again, I greatly appreciate everyone's help, and am incredibly stoked to be able to do my laundry once again!! =)

Thanks,
-Snipe