Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Paper Shredder gear lost two teeth  (Read 182 times)

Offline paulb104

• VIP Member
Paper Shredder gear lost two teeth
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »

Hi :)

I have a Staples branded paper shredder that I've been using for a number of years with no issues at all. Last night I was using it and it made an odd, and loud, *crunch* sound, nothing like I've ever heard from a machine. Ever.

The motor turns on and sounds proper, no odd smells, but the teeth do not turn.

While I'm no mechanic, I know how to use tools and I've fixed things over the years. Today I opened the thing up. One of the gears has lost some teeth, two I think.

Are these things, gears, generally available for purchase? If they are, can they be removed and replaced and have the device brought back to a properly functioning state without too much effort, or is it too much work (for instance, I don't know how to weld and have no equipment to do so)? Should I just recycle the device and buy a new one? Shredders of this type are currently upwards of one hundred and sixty dollars.

Thanks ;)

Paul

Offline paulb104

• VIP Member
Re: Paper Shredder gear lost two teeth
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
...I'm not sure how well the picture is showing what I had hoped it would.

What it is showing is the drive from the motor (on the left) next to the larger gear (on the right) at the area with the missing teeth.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
I would doubt very much that any parts are available for something like this.  Primarily because it would cost more than a new one to repair it, and most people would not have the ability to make this repair, therefore no market for the parts!

Offline paulb104

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
Other than amazonbasics, a typical shredder of this quality is about $160. Amazon has this one https://goo.gl/J4SHCy for $60. All mine needs is a gear. If I still lived in NYC I'm sure I could find someone local to take this to but where I am now, there's nobody that I know of that does this type of repair professionally.

Lost & Found: FourSeven Mini MLR2 - Before & After Photos

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3416
Last post April 20, 2014, 04:43:57 PM
by AJ