I just bought a used kenmore stove. The previous owner (I know well) had an issue with it throwing a spark. She called Sears repair, they came out and replaced the control board in the stove. She replaced the stove before it was fixed. She was without a stove a few days, got tired of waiting.
However, after we got the stove here, we noticed the power cord was burned one leg completely through. We replaced the cord. Tonight was the first night I used the stove and both front burners cooked extremely hot even on the lowest setting. I am wondering if the spark may have fried the switches. I don't want to order the wrong part. I suspect the cord was either the issue all along, or the spark was caused by a short of the control panel?
I am replacing another kenmore, also a 790 model number, but a bit fancier than the one we currently are working on. It had the runaway temperature error on the oven. It caught fire twice. The first time did not show an error. I thought grease had spilled in the oven. A year later, it went up in flames again while cooking. That one may be the control panel. It was easier to replace than repair at that point. I am trying to sell my home, and I need to decide which to repair, junk them both, and buy new, whatever.
I don't want to burn the house down before it sells, or have it happen to the new owner.
Any help will be appreciated.