Author Topic: Repaired Evap. coil on Samsung fridge, now seems to continually run  (Read 1597 times)

Offline IDoSeaDoo

• VIP Member
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Samsung French Door fridge (RFG297) I bought it from a less than honest person and found that it did not cool properly. Upon further investigation, I discovered that it had a hole in the freezer evaporator. I evacuated the system and braised over the hole and put freon back in (the fridge already had ports installed for some reason.  What perplexed me was the sticker on the back of the unit. It said that the fridge operated at 230psi on the high side, and 103 on the low, and that it required 5.36oz of R134a refrigerant. Well, I went to the store and bought a can of R134 and put it on my scale. I'm not sure I got exactly 5.36oz in there (I bumped the scale and the fact the can has a hose attached messed up my reading), but I definitely got what felt like half a can in there.  If anything, I may have overfilled it a bit. Now the fridge and freezer cool to the desired temperature (the one on the digital readout), but the pressures on the gauges are nowhere near what the rear sticker says they should be.  The high side operates at 120-130psi, whereas the low is 15-35 or so (seems to vary based on time of day).  It seems that every time I walk past the unit, it's always running, which is unlike my experience with other fridges. Also the pressures perplex me, did I simply underfill the unit?
Thanks for your replies.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
The unit is over-charged or has a restriction in the system.
Operating pressure would be 0-5 psi on the low side and 100-105 psi on the high side.
The pressures on the label are DESIGN pressures not operating pressures.
Bleed off a little refrigerant until the pressure drops.
Otherwise you risk damaging the compressor with liquid refrigerant.
Was the filter drier changed when you did the other work?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Any refrigerator or freezer with 134a should be charged like this:

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

RS2545SH samsung fridge side evaporator

Started by woodchuck

Replies: 6
Views: 4352
Last post February 06, 2010, 10:55:54 AM
by schaffersapplian
Samsung Fridge Ice maker Makes ice too soft

Started by kimosabey01

Replies: 3
Views: 3973
Last post July 07, 2010, 01:28:39 PM