Author Topic: Kenmore 70 Series - 110.8860293 electric dryer - overheating?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
Hi,

I have this electric dryer that stops by itself in the middle of it's cycle. In the high heat cycles, the dryer will stop after 5 minutes; if I try to press the start button right away, nothing happens. But if I wait 5-10 minutes, I can restart it normally until it shuts down again five minutes later. In a delicate cycle (low heat), the dryer will do the same thing but it will run for 20-25 minutes before it shuts down. And on Air Dry, it never stops, it runs the cycle normally.

I've cleaned the inside of the dryer, the ducts; the motor runs smoothly, no strange noises; the blow fan looks fine, I've got a strong air flow coming out... Anyone knows what could be wrong? Could it be the Thermal Cut-Off and/or Hi Limit Stat that needs to be replaced?

Thanks!
Frank

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Kenmore 70 Series - 110.8860293 electric dryer - overheating?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
Hi,

I could not find anything on a model 110.8860293
Looks like it's missing a digit.

Could it be the Thermal Cut-Off and/or Hi Limit Stat that needs to be replaced?

No, if it was one of them they would not reset on there own.

Could be the over load on the motor. It will reset itself.

If you could post the full model number I could research it some more.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Thanks AJ for your quick reply!

I was following an earlier thread here (http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9265.0) and it's the same model - I assume the model number is different because it's in Canada. I have included my wiring diagram and it's the same except there is french on it. Also the picture of the open back of the dryer is the same - even the wires are the same color.

OK... I was hoping I would not have to change the motor, I'll watch the video you gave to jeffgeiger back in January see if I'm up for this job.

Isn't it weird that if there no heat, then there is no overload on the motor?

Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »

Ok, I see that is the correct model number, sorry about that.

After it kicks out you could take it apart and check the over load on the motor with a multimeter to see if it's open.

I would also take a look at the power cord connection at the back of the dryer. Sometimes the power cord connection will come loose, over heat and give problems.

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
So I got a new motor (we're really being screwed here in Canada - I tried the links you supplied with the motor at 75$ but they wouldn't ship to Canada; in Canada, the motor is sold for 145$). Anyway, I got the motor this afternoon and just finished reassembling the dryer. And it's doing the same thing...  :embarassed:

So I guess we have eliminated the motor from the equation! haha! I suspect the timer is the next one in line? I saw this post where the guy had the same problem and it was because of fried electronics (http://www.<site_removed>.com)[1]. I don't have a little PCB like that in my dryer so I guess this stuff is part of the timer?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Frank

[1] Didn't want to post another site here, it might not have been appreciated?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Did you use a multimeter to check the thermal overload for continuity on the old motor?

Did you check the power cord connection at the back of the dryer?

Without doing some troubleshooting with a multimeter it's anyones guess.

Maybe a timer problem.

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
Well I'm sure you have figured out by now that I'm not the qualified Maytag repair man type of guy. It's actually my first appliance repair ever. I don't have a multimeter and if I did, I don't know what doing a check for thermal overload for continuity smells like... So, as stupid as this might sound, I'm actually enjoying this so please don't give up on me just yet! I'm really appreciating your help here and I know that if things are not fixed by now, it's because of the guy on this end. I saw other posts with similar problem where you and others suggested that the problem was the motor and, even if I posted my version of the problem, I was kind of expecting to have to change the motor.

I did check the power cord connection before getting the motor, everything is clean and looks fine, I don't have loose connections or anything that looks like it might have heated or anything.

Are you saying that at this point, before replacing any other part I should be doing multimetering back there??

Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
Well I'm sure you have figured out by now that I'm not the qualified Maytag repair man type of guy.

No problem. :)

Are you saying that at this point, before replacing any other part I should be doing multimetering back there??

It would not be a bad idea. If you had a multimeter you could check to make sure the dryer was getting the correct voltage next time it stopped running.

A multimeter can be used for a lot of DIY projects too.

Do you have timed heat cycles and automatic heat cycle on the timer?
If so does it stop running on both the timed and auto cycles?

I would be interested in what other techs think about this problem too.
Other then the motor or some kind of power problem I can't think of anything else that would make the dryer stop running like that and let you restart it a few minutes later.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »
Sounds like a voltage problem such as the wiring to the unit overheating and opening. Check voltage with a meter at the back of the dryer when it quits. For some reason I am seeing bad breaker problems again. Strange how you see 4-5 breakers bad in 2 months and then none for years.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
I agree about the circuit breaker. Every time you use the dryer, you use the circuit breaker. They can build up internal heat from bad contacts
And trip prematurely.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
I have seen acouple of these dryer were the thermal fuse would open up and would reset which it is not support to do.Also check power at back of dryer for 240 volt red to black and red to white for 120 volts and black to white for 120 volts.do this voltage check when dryer stops.If proper voltage then problem with dryer.Check that thermal fuse with meter or jump it out.Try wiggling timer knob when dryer is running to see if dryer will stop if so timer bad.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »
This reminds me of a gas dryer that was tripping the breaker after a few minutes.  Played with it for a couple minutes, and concluded that it was the breaker.  Plugged it into a different breaker circuit with an extension cord, and it stayed running.

Customer told me his washer on the same circuit didn't trip the breaker, so it must be the dryer.  Turned out, for the breaker to act up, the breaker needed a higher current, for an extended period.  The washer didn't draw enough current to trip the breaker unless it ran the final high speed spin cycle.  In the end, it did trip the breaker.  They had the washer set on delicate spin.  Go figure.

Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
Sorry, I've been out of town for last few days...

AJ: I do have the auto/timed cycles and the problem exists with both

dab147315: I tried wiggling the timer knob but the dryer didn't stop.

I read about breakers; is there an internal breaker in the dryer or are we talking about the breaker in my main electric box?

I guess my next step is to get a multimeter,

Thanks all for your help!

Offline franktko

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
So with my new multimeter :), I did a few readings:

hot wires/hot wire + neutral = 240/119 while dryer is not running
hot wires/hot wire + neutral = 238/119 while dryer is running
hot wires/hot wire + neutral = 234/116 while dryer is running and element is on

Is this normal, the little drop in voltage when it's on? I did those readings directly at the plug... not sure how to do it at the back of the dryer; the wire is connected to the dryer in white plastic plugs (see pic). Do I need jumper cables or do I do the reading directly at the timer?

I did a resistance test at the thermal fuse, door switch and the hi-limit with dryer disconnected and got a 0.3

Today, the dryer for some reason is working pretty well. I was trying to get a reading when it stops but it didn't. In 2-3 hours of running, it stopped once - I ran to it and took a reading at the plug and it was fine. This was 15 secs max after it stopped. But then I pressed the start button, maybe another 15 secs later and the dryer started again. As far as I know, I had to wait a few minutes before I could restart it... weird. Do you guys sometime get problems that go away on their own? I didn't think so.

If you can give me a hint on how to take a reading from the back, I'll post the result once the dryer starts acting up again,

Thanks,

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
The picture of the wire in back of dryer is wired different then in U.S.A.I would unplug the black wires,red wire and white wires in the picture you sent and look if see any kind of burnt wires on the white connectors.Odds are you have a loose connection or bad circuit breaker.But that thermal fuse can open up and close again.Which i seen it do only maybe on two of the same dryers in 30 years in business .Its something to keep in mind.

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 38453
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
kenmore 80 series electric dryer

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 4
Views: 11555
Last post June 24, 2008, 11:48:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff