Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: The old Electrolux French Door Fresh Food ice maker woes...  (Read 22 times)

Online Wombler

• VIP Member
Hey everyone,
I've been all over these forums using the knowledge and previous posts to try and resolve the common ice maker woes on this fridge I recently acquired. Unfortunately the threads that apply most to me ended up dead-ended with no more replies or resolutions...so here we go!

Model: EW23BC71IS0
Serial: 4A9390xxxx
Symptoms: typical no ice production, messed up gear box, etc etc.

I have ordered and installed the IM Repair kit 5303918495 and it's better....but still no ice. Firmware 8.5, all tests have passed. Dielectric grease on EEV connector.
The kit came with a bad ice mold out of the box, but never threw any codes on the control panel. I noticed on test 54c the temperature was not rising, and sure enough, the mold tested open with a multi-meter instead of the 90-100ohms. I put the old mold back in and it heats up fine.

New Symptoms:
Whenever I power on the unit, the ice maker moves the mold over to the "freeze" position and there it stays. It never fills with water (water fill test works)and never moves from the left, "Freeze" position. It's been like this for over a day. If I manually move the mold (via test 63c or taking the motor off and re-positioning) the maker will run the mold through it's route until back to "freeze". Even if that means going right to the "fill" switch then immediately reversing over to "freeze". Test 48c confirms it is NOT in Freezer Recovery mode.

Per this thread with the exact same issue, I have confirmed the wiring of all 3 switches with the color codes on the Service Data Sheet. Also, when the unit is powered on and starts moving, I can manually depress the switches and the only one that has any effect is the freeze limit switch, stopping the mold wherever it is on the track. There is nothing interfering with the mold at any point along the track.
The ice fingers do get cold and frost accumulates on them. None are bent, or damaged. Nothing freezing up in the back. Evap fan running the whole time. Just no water, and no mold movement, locked in perpetual freeze mode.
I can put ice in the bin that I made in an external ice maker and it keeps all that frozen and dispenses fine.

In this thread he actually followed up last month with a resolution, but it doesn't apply to me because I haven't been getting ANY error codes at all, even if temporary. However, is there a thermistor(s) that should probably be replaced even without an error code?

I have the parts supplier sending me an entirely new IM Repair Kit because of the bad mold. Maybe I got a bad Control Board as well?

Any thoughts, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: The old Electrolux French Door Fresh Food ice maker woes...
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:29:48 PM »
you asked for thoughts, well here is mine.
Cut your losses and get twist trays. This is one of THE WORST ice makers.  :cheers:

Online Wombler

• VIP Member
Re: The old Electrolux French Door Fresh Food ice maker woes...
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:55:59 PM »
you asked for thoughts, well here is mine.
Cut your losses and get twist trays. This is one of THE WORST ice makers.  :cheers:

Haha, yea....I've definitely picked up on the popularity of this unit. Had I known a few months ago..... ::)
I've been using the external ice maker for a few weeks now and that method is fine (compared to the cost of a new fridge). Just hoping I can bring this thing back to life!
I keep seeing mentions of an optional lower ice maker that goes in the freezer section, but I can't find any info on it....is this maybe something I can get and install?

Samsung french door ice maker RFG297AARS maker in fresh food compartment

Started by curjones

Replies: 6
Views: 1634
Last post October 19, 2015, 11:21:35 PM
by curjones
Electrolux bullet style ice maker in french door

Started by krazytech

Replies: 15
Views: 17208
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:24:29 AM
by PARTech

Started by rmstrand

Replies: 14
Views: 26372
Last post April 23, 2017, 05:28:41 PM
by rmstrand

Started by Wraunch

Replies: 12
Views: 13948
Last post August 10, 2011, 01:59:02 PM
by Wraunch
Electrolux French Door Ice maker issues

Started by matthewb

Replies: 0
Views: 2544
Last post December 18, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
by matthewb
GE French Door model GFSL6KEXALS fresh food frosting.

Started by Wedgeman55

Replies: 2
Views: 643
Last post August 26, 2015, 07:21:41 AM
by Wedgeman55