Author Topic: Here we go again, GE SxS Fridge/Freezer Warm on Top, Cold on Bottom.  (Read 195 times)

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Hello everyone,

I'm posting this out of sheer desperation as I just cannot afford to pay for a service call.  I'm trying to do this myself but not doing so well.

I have a GE side-by-side fridge freezer (GSHS5KGXBCSS).  The upper area of the freezer compartment stays at 60 degrees and it's the same on the fridge side.

The back panel in the freezer occasionally has frost.  The defroster works (I can see it glowing, plus it occasionally melts all but contents on the very bottom.  Items on the bottom of the fridge will freeze.  Obviously the icemaker cannot make ice.   

Can anyone help diagnose my problem with what I've said above plus the pictures I posted? I would greatly appreciate ANY useful information.  This is causing great strife in my household.  I think my wife is about to leave me.  :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:44:15 PM by nobby »

Offline háblame

• VIP Member
Is the fan running.close the door switch and see is the fan is running on steady pace

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
It looks like your fan isn't running. On that model, if you leave the door open for 3 min, the evap fan should come on and the air damper should close. If your door is open for 3min and your fan doesn't come on, then either your fan is bad or your control board. If your fan is running, I'd be looking at your evaporator thermistor. The thermistor is cheap and if it hasn't been changed before it would be good to replace while the cover is off. The evaporator thermistor has nothing to do with your evap fan running

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions after work today and let you know the results.

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Ok, I bought a thermistor however, the freezer fan does NOT run, no matter how long the door is open.  Would changing the thermistor have any immediate impact in terms of fixing this problem?

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
No. Thermistor won't affect the fan. Either your board or motor. Board is more likely than motor, but could be either

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Copy.  So the next step would be to continuity check the fan motor, correct?

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
Go to your j2 connector on your board. Looking for 12v dc from pin3 white andj8 red

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
The fan can take out the board. If green resistor is burnt change both

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Maytagman--I'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. I've hit a brick wall trying to locate a service manual for this model? Would like to have this before I go probing around electronics.  Got a link?

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
I don't have a link, it's just in my head:)

Online Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
This may help

Offline go400

• Technician
If the old board has fewer relays than the new board shown, you have the old style board. They changed the board to prevent driver burnouts from bad motors. You then must change both the motherboard and the evaporator motor.

Online nobby

• VIP Member
Maytag Man and Go400,

This is my project for tonight.  Thanks for all the expertise so far.  I will keep you posted.

GE Profile bottom freezer too cold, fridge seems okay

Started by chrispitude

Replies: 3
Views: 403
Last post March 18, 2014, 07:24:25 AM
by go400
Fridgidaire FSC23F7DSB7 fridge to warm/freezer to cold???

Started by Eric521980

Replies: 0
Views: 192
Last post June 01, 2014, 07:27:12 AM
by Eric521980
Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6065
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
by TechnicianBrian
GE Refrigerator is warm but freezer is cold