Author Topic: Maytag microwave with no inner glass on door  (Read 2162 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Maytag microwave with no inner glass on door
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
Model: MMV5208WS0    Serial: TR01319500
I don't do a lot of microwave repair's because usually it's to costly for the customer but had to go on this service call just for the heck of it.
Customer said they had no way to clean the inside of the glass... ??? ...after they explained I got the jist that there was no inner glass which made no sense to me so went out for free to see for myself.
Sure enough, no inside glass on door.  Just mesh then outer glass.  Some of the food splater has made it through the mesh onto the inside of outer glass.  The only way to get to it is by taking inside trim off and taking apart middle part of door(with mesh) off.  This just does not sound right to me.  Was there a production issue at one point or is it meant to be this way?
The diagram show's what appears to be 2 pieces of glass and the door is sold as a unit.  This unit has never been damaged and have known the customer's for quite awhile and have no reason to believe otherwise.  They bought it from Home Depot about 2 years ago.
It's been my understanding that the mesh on micro's is incorporated with the inner glass.  I'm guessing it's to help as a barrier for large object's  or help retain glass from flying all over if worst case scenario explosion occurs.
Am I missing something or is this an odd ball lemon that made it through inspection somehow and they need to send a new door.  I can't imagine they expect a homeowner to carfully take apart the door to do routine cleaning. :-\
Any thought's or even an explanation would be greatly appreciated.  Obviously I need a little education if this is a normal thing out there.
I made a little video:

Thanks!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag microwave with no inner glass on door
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
The mesh wire keeps the microwaves from escaping. Don't ever recall seeing one with mesh wire and no inner glass. That must be a boo boo.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:15:34 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
The inner glass is actually a sheet of clear plastic.  If it was never there, I'd say it's a factory defect.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
I'm glad it's not just me.  I called WP from the customer's house and only got the part's dept. who said I needed tech. (who I wanted to begin with)...me:"asked to be connected"...WP:"I cannot do that"...me:"can you give me their number"...WP:"no, you can look that up in the yellow pages or online"...lovely :tickedoff:

Anyone suggest a good tech number that I have a chance getting somewhere with?
Thanks!

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
Update:  Called WP direct and they would not help at all because I am not an authorized service tech (pretty nasty towards me too boot).  Understandable, you guy's pay a ton to be that way.
Called the customer and told them they needed to call WP and set up a service call with authorized tech and they would come out (see the same as I did) and be able to do something about it.
Bottom line: Customer went back to Home Depot with what I told him and they are replacing the microwave with no questions asked.  They were in the same boat as me and all of us...a big hugh ??? ...never should have made it off the production line.
Thank you folks for backing up my thought's and the customer is exctatic and have gained him and really his wife for life as a customer.  I did not charge for the service call.  Just asked that they remember me next time something goes down. O0
Thanks folks.

maytag microwave hood..door wont stay shut

Started by greid4905

Replies: 1
Views: 1873
Last post November 18, 2012, 11:29:22 AM
by tgoods
Frigidaire Microwave Door Won't Stay Closed

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4549
Last post April 17, 2008, 07:39:22 AM