Author Topic: LG washer erratic draining problem and resolution  (Read 6845 times)

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: LG washer erratic draining problem and resolution
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
I have an LG WM3360HVCA Front Loader, which was giving me an OE error. Of course I didn't get the extended warranty, am at 1 1/2 years..  Checked the inline filter, pretty clean, nothing that would stop water. I did the smart diagnostic check, the person on the end of the line figured it was the pump. OK. so this is a spendy washing machine, so I scheduled a repair visit. That was over a week out. No complaints, but what the heck. Did some online research.  Went back and tried the washer again, using the spin cycle like the diagnostician told me. Did not get any water out, water was visible in the tub. Took the drain hose, blew it back, heard water moving and was able to clear the line. Tried the spin cycle, water pumped out. Wheee! Only worked once. Could hear the pump humming, no other souncs. Found a youtube video on replacing the pump, thought what the heck, it isn't under warranty anyway, carefully disassembled it. Pretty simple process, I like the engineering and the video really helped a lot!  Pump looked pretty good, no debris. Pulled the pump out of the housing, pulled out the rotor assembly with the internal magnet, water drained from there. O ring sealed, don't think it should have any moisture there.  Reassembled, found some insulated female spade terminals and plugged her in.. no hesitation, slight ticking noise. Everything appears tight, no debris in the housing or impeller or visible behind the rotor shaft.  Put everything back in place. Ran a cycle, no problems. Yey!

But, it only worked a couple of times, then got the OE error again. Mind you, at this time, I had the hose Tywrapped to the utility sink faucet so I can observe water flow. Good to know about the hose being stuffed down the stand pipe too far, thank you for that.

So, ordered new pump online, 2 day freight, just replaced it, only took an hour this time. Secured the drain hose appropriately, started her back up, did a full cycle w/o clothes, seems to be running fine. Time will tell. Did I miss anything?

No.

Offline kelly.gann

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
 :thanks:

Offline domain

• Technician

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
We have a lg wm2277hw and started getting OE code last night. I pulled drain hose and nothing came out. I unscrewed the filter and drained some water out and reset and it completed the load. This morning.....same issue. I pulled the drain hose, plug and attached my small compressor to the end and slowly applied air......plugged! I applied more air and POP! out rushed water a what looked like mud! I drained completely pulled screen and it was loaded with beach sand! Cleaned completely and it's running like a champ! Thanks guys!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome:
We have a lg wm2277hw and started getting OE code last night. I pulled drain hose and nothing came out. I unscrewed the filter and drained some water out and reset and it completed the load. This morning.....same issue. I pulled the drain hose, plug and attached my small compressor to the end and slowly applied air......plugged! I applied more air and POP! out rushed water a what looked like mud! I drained completely pulled screen and it was loaded with beach sand! Cleaned completely and it's running like a champ! Thanks guys!

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
Ok, it worked for the day then thru a PF code last night......then OE again this morning. Naught new pump, installed and it started, stopped after 2 mins. I rested on speed wash, it ran then shut down. OE. Code again. It urns thru sometimes and sometimes it stops with code......need a possible reset?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 12:51:48 AM »
<<<We have a lg wm2277hw and started getting OE code last night.>>>

LG WM2277 washers are now more than 5 years old---about the time a DRAIN MOTOR will fail.

Use the correct Drain Motor (4681EA2001T) and verify that it's a new motor from an appliance parts retailer.

The Drain Motor is located on the left side of the Pump Housing---if looking at the washer from the front.
The Recirculation Motor (an entirely different motor than the drain motor) is located on the right side of the pump housing. These two different motors are *not* interchangeable.

<<<<I pulled drain hose and nothing came out.>>>

The small black drain tube at the pump housing strainer?
This small tube is used---to allow a means of draining water from the tub---if the Pump Housing has a blockage or a failed Drain Motor.
It is not uncommon to find the little tube plugged by debris (scum/grit/sand/etc).
A blocked/restricted drain tube at the pump strainer---does not affect washer performance.

<<<Naught new pump, installed and it started, stopped after 2 mins. I rested on speed wash, it ran then shut down. OE. Code again.>>>

If the Drain Motor is verified to be the correct type...

Unplug the washer and remove and inspect the *bellows hose*---which is located at the bottom of the tub assy. This black/soft hose---runs/routes from the bottom of the tub---to the Pump Housing. Check for debris/blockage.

Verify that the Drain Hose (gray color) is correctly installed.
If the Drain Hose goes to a *STANDPIPE*---check that it is inserted only 6 to 8 inches and secured to the standpipe with a zip tie or tape.
The top of the standpipe should *never* be taped or have a rubber cap on it. This is sold at some hardware-type stores---as a seal/cap to prevent water from backing up from the standpipe.
The top of the standpipe should be "open-to-atmosphere"---to allow proper draining of water.

If the Drain Hose goes into a utility-type tub---check that the hose is shaped/formed into a "gooseneck" and secured to the side of the tub (again 6 to 8 inches into the tub---not all the way into the tub).

If the Drain Hose is fine---unplug the washer and then remove the top cover of the washer.
If facing the washer from the front---locate the MAIN BOARD at the rear/left corner of the washer (at the top).
In this location---you'll notice a small diameter black hose attached to the WATER LEVEL SENSOR.
Pull this hose off of the Water Level Sensor---and either blow into it or use compressed air to clear any possible obstruction within the hose---or within the AIR BELL at the bottom of the tub.
Never blow air into the WATER LEVEL SENSOR itself (only into the black tube---back into the tub assy).

Compressed air can also be used to check/clear the DRAIN HOSE (gray color).
This is best done by disconnecting the Drain Hose at the Pump Housing---and pressurizing/blasting air in the same direction as drain-water flow in the drain hose.
If there's any blockage/restriction in the Drain Hose (Gray)---it'll usually occur at the drain gooseneck located at the rear corner of the washer (on the left side).
Sometimes a bright flashlight can be used to shine light through the white-colored drain gooseneck.
If a blockage is there---it'll appear as a dark shadow.

After re-assembling everything (and double-checking)...

Test washer function.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:53:45 AM by john63 »

Online tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
John, I have a couple of questions.  I've got a washer with a noisy circulation pump and it's not pumping, the hose is clear.  I disconnected the power from the pump until I can return with the part. The parts diagram only shows the drain pump, so that's what I ordered.  Since reading your post, I checked again and found the circ pump, 4681EA2002H. What happens if replace the circ pump with a drain pump? How important is the circ pump, it seems to run fine without it?
I'm having trouble rescheduling the call, probably because it's working and quiet now.  At least now when I do go back I'll have the correct part.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
<<<I've got a washer with a noisy circulation pump and it's not pumping, the hose is clear.>>>

In most cases---if the circulation pump is either noisy or does not run---there's something (debris) in the pump housing. Usually a small button.

This type of symptom can throw off a tech at times---since the recirculation pump is only energized a few times during the cycle.

Customers will explain/describe that the washer is very noisy at a specific point(s) in the cycle---but then continues to functioning perfectly thereafter.

If a blockage occurs---it'll usually be at the nozzle on the door gasket (clump of lint).
This can be removed---in most cases---by grasping the ball of lint at the nozzle and pulling it out. It helps to then put the machine in Test Mode---add a little water into the tub---activate the Recirculation Pump Motor.
If there's additional lint within the hose/nozzle---you'll be able to remove that as well.

I've never had a failed Recirculation Motor---but that's not to say they're bullet-proof. The total run time of a recirculation motor is so low---that wear and tear is minimal.

The Recirculation Motor used on the LG washer is the same as the Drain Motor used on 1st generation LG dishwashers (not the current D/Ws).

<<<What happens if replace the circ pump with a drain pump?>>>

The Drain Motor has a much higher flow rate than the Recirculation Motor.

If installed---as a replacement for a failed Recirc Motor---the washer will continue to function normally.
When the Main Board energizes the recirculation feature---the water will come through the nozzle on the door gasket---too strong/harshly (but cause no malfunction).

It's when a Drain Motor is replaced with a Recirculation Motor---that there will be a slow-drain complaint/symptom.

<<<How important is the circ pump, it seems to run fine without it? >>>

The washer will perform perfectly fine---without the Recirculation Pump Motor (unplugged).

As I'm sure that you know---many LG washer models (except high-end units) do not have a Recirculation Motor at all.

Good Luck :)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:47:10 PM by john63 »

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 08:15:03 AM »
John, I took off the top, for the hose took it off and yes, it was full of muck! Just oozed mug like muck. All cleaned out put a load in and worded fine until it got down to about the 36 minute mark then thru the OE code again.......is the some sort of factory reset on these? It seems like the machine thinks its broke

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
I pulled the drain plug and it dumped 11 quarts of water......in confused :tickedoff: I turned it on too rice and spin mode after draining and it kicked right on......I hear a buzzing from from of washer not sure if it's the pump or drive motor......it's filling and spinning. Down to 15 on timer......it started at 18.......waiting on spin cycle to finish to check drain........it drained yesterday after replacing pump........hmmmmmm

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
I took off plastic cover by drain and tapped housing with bottom of hammer and pump kicked on........hmmmmmmm drained and cycled!

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
Ok I guess I'm a dumb a?!.........looking at the washer the pump is on the left......circulating pump on right......if you put pump in circulating pump side it doesn't work......girl that sold me the part Saturday inverted the pics......pulled it back apart , put old recirculating pump on put new pump on left side and been washing for 5 hours.......quiet and smooth.........thanks guys!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
EVERYONE remember.... THE BIG 80watt pump is on the LEFT :welcome: :welcome:

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
Got it........where we're you Saturday?   Lol

maytag washer- timer problem?

Started by inot66