Author Topic: LG washer erratic draining problem and resolution  (Read 12041 times)

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG washer erratic draining problem and resolution
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
<<<I don't know why you're going to all this trouble to discredit Wild.>>>

So---if someone posted that a Whirlpool washer is not agitating or spinning but *does* fill and drain the water...

And has found that the DRIVE MOTOR is the cause...

To you---that is not only "accurate or possible" but also inappropriate to challenge?

<<<Try leaving vent hose plugged for a few weeks and see what happens.>>>

A moot exercise---if you've read any of the above posts carefully---you'll notice that the *original* LG washers did NOT have an anti-siphon tube.

There are still LG washers being used in this configuration---without issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:49:03 AM by john63 »

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »
John63... try leaving the anti siphon hose plugged for 6 months.  That's when the customer starting noticing the problem but let it go for 3 months before it got to me and I was on it for 3 months as well.  Also, this was an erratic problem so it didn't happen all the time. She says it happens about every 8th to 10th wash load.  This customer uses this washer 7 days a week, 2 times a day.  You only did it 2 times, but I kept testing this machine till it gave me an OE error code.  Fill and drain, fill and drain, fill and drain. 

Yes I did use compressed air to blow out the anti siphon hose, but before I did, the drain line would clear out properly whenever it was working.  After blowing the line clear, there was no difference in the flow of water drained out and there was no debris.  I checked by putting the end of drain hose into a 5 gallon bucket to see if any debris came out.  Little pieces of lint debris came out but that's it.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that this is a washer / dryer combo.  So the lint buildup problem may have something to do with it.  Don't know though.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »
I could see a siphoning drain hose siphoning all the water out of a drain pump, and leaving an air pocket inside the drain pump. 

You would think the drain hose would allow air to be pushed out of the pump when the tub filled with water again.

I will definitely keep this tip in mind if I run into intermittent drain problems on an LG combo.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:29:40 AM by ApplianceGuru »
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
If the DRAIN HOSE is installed correctly...

Not installed completely into a standpipe---down to the drain trap...

No tape has been installed on the drain hose at the top of the drain standpipe...

Not installed in a utilitub near the bottom ---slow draining of the *utilitub* will cause siphoning of water from the washer---if the LG washer is an older model without the anti-siphon hose OR in a newer model with a plugged siphon tube...

There will be no issues or complaints with "slow" or no drain".

<<<As for me, if I find an intermittent draining LG washer, I will check for all possible causes including a plugged vent hose.>>>

<<< I will definitely keep this tip in mind if I run into intermittent drain problems on an LG combo.>>>

That's perfectly fine.

Others would be wise to avoid wasting their diagnostics effort/time trying to identify slow/no drain complaints---by incorrectly assuming that the small/black anti-siphon hose at the top of the tub assy---is the culprit.

Offline kelly.gann

• VIP Member
LG washer erratic draining problem and resolution
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
I have an LG WM3360HVCA Front Loader, which was giving me an OE error. Of course I didn't get the extended warranty, am at 1 1/2 years..  Checked the inline filter, pretty clean, nothing that would stop water. I did the smart diagnostic check, the person on the end of the line figured it was the pump. OK. so this is a spendy washing machine, so I scheduled a repair visit. That was over a week out. No complaints, but what the heck. Did some online research.  Went back and tried the washer again, using the spin cycle like the diagnostician told me. Did not get any water out, water was visible in the tub. Took the drain hose, blew it back, heard water moving and was able to clear the line. Tried the spin cycle, water pumped out. Wheee! Only worked once. Could hear the pump humming, no other souncs. Found a youtube video on replacing the pump, thought what the heck, it isn't under warranty anyway, carefully disassembled it. Pretty simple process, I like the engineering and the video really helped a lot!  Pump looked pretty good, no debris. Pulled the pump out of the housing, pulled out the rotor assembly with the internal magnet, water drained from there. O ring sealed, don't think it should have any moisture there.  Reassembled, found some insulated female spade terminals and plugged her in.. no hesitation, slight ticking noise. Everything appears tight, no debris in the housing or impeller or visible behind the rotor shaft.  Put everything back in place. Ran a cycle, no problems. Yey!

But, it only worked a couple of times, then got the OE error again. Mind you, at this time, I had the hose Tywrapped to the utility sink faucet so I can observe water flow. Good to know about the hose being stuffed down the stand pipe too far, thank you for that.

So, ordered new pump online, 2 day freight, just replaced it, only took an hour this time. Secured the drain hose appropriately, started her back up, did a full cycle w/o clothes, seems to be running fine. Time will tell. Did I miss anything?

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
I have an LG WM3360HVCA Front Loader, which was giving me an OE error. Of course I didn't get the extended warranty, am at 1 1/2 years..  Checked the inline filter, pretty clean, nothing that would stop water. I did the smart diagnostic check, the person on the end of the line figured it was the pump. OK. so this is a spendy washing machine, so I scheduled a repair visit. That was over a week out. No complaints, but what the heck. Did some online research.  Went back and tried the washer again, using the spin cycle like the diagnostician told me. Did not get any water out, water was visible in the tub. Took the drain hose, blew it back, heard water moving and was able to clear the line. Tried the spin cycle, water pumped out. Wheee! Only worked once. Could hear the pump humming, no other souncs. Found a youtube video on replacing the pump, thought what the heck, it isn't under warranty anyway, carefully disassembled it. Pretty simple process, I like the engineering and the video really helped a lot!  Pump looked pretty good, no debris. Pulled the pump out of the housing, pulled out the rotor assembly with the internal magnet, water drained from there. O ring sealed, don't think it should have any moisture there.  Reassembled, found some insulated female spade terminals and plugged her in.. no hesitation, slight ticking noise. Everything appears tight, no debris in the housing or impeller or visible behind the rotor shaft.  Put everything back in place. Ran a cycle, no problems. Yey!

But, it only worked a couple of times, then got the OE error again. Mind you, at this time, I had the hose Tywrapped to the utility sink faucet so I can observe water flow. Good to know about the hose being stuffed down the stand pipe too far, thank you for that.

So, ordered new pump online, 2 day freight, just replaced it, only took an hour this time. Secured the drain hose appropriately, started her back up, did a full cycle w/o clothes, seems to be running fine. Time will tell. Did I miss anything?

No.

Offline kelly.gann

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
 :thanks:

Offline domain

• Technician

Offline Lampskies

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
We have a lg wm2277hw and started getting OE code last night. I pulled drain hose and nothing came out. I unscrewed the filter and drained some water out and reset and it completed the load. This morning.....same issue. I pulled the drain hose, plug and attached my small compressor to the end and slowly applied air......plugged! I applied more air and POP! out rushed water a what looked like mud! I drained completely pulled screen and it was loaded with beach sand! Cleaned completely and it's running like a champ! Thanks guys!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome:
We have a lg wm2277hw and started getting OE code last night. I pulled drain hose and nothing came out. I unscrewed the filter and drained some water out and reset and it completed the load. This morning.....same issue. I pulled the drain hose, plug and attached my small compressor to the end and slowly applied air......plugged! I applied more air and POP! out rushed water a what looked like mud! I drained completely pulled screen and it was loaded with beach sand! Cleaned completely and it's running like a champ! Thanks guys!

maytag washer- timer problem?

Started by inot66

Replies: 6
Views: 5479
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:47:16 PM
by inot66
Maytag Washer Spin & Drain Problem

Started by lulubovary

Replies: 1
Views: 3233
Last post March 11, 2008, 04:43:09 PM
by Repair-man