Author Topic: Neptune Model MAH4000AWQ washer wont work  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Air Force Mom Xs 2

• VIP Member
Neptune Model MAH4000AWQ washer wont work
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
Okay, apparently God has decided to send me to Appliance Hell for a while.

First the washer broke the day after Christmas , then the 3 yr old refrigerator kept filling up with water in the bottom and freezer.  Thanks to one of these web sites I was able to take it apart and fix it myself (clogged drain) so that saved me big bucks ! 
Anyway I left the washer till now because I have been spending all my time in DC at the AF base taking care of my granddaughter. 

Now for the washer.  First I LOVE this washer,  it was my mothers so it has sentimental value besides not having so many stupid computer parts it cost a thousand $$$ every time you repair it.   I had to wait for both parents to die to get it and I am not letting go that easy!!

The washer fills just fine, the motor hums,  but it the washer won't agitate or spin.

The belt looks brand new, in fact in order for the repair man to look at it we had to remove the original packing tape off the side... this washer has never had anyone touch it.  Until Dec 26th it ran like a top !

I paid big money ($300.00 to Sears for a new warranty and I don't suggest anyone else do it!  Some guy came out, tested the circuit board (not sure how he did that and I was watching him) then he did something with the motor and said "It's the motor, you need a new one"  Then 2 days later I get a call from said warranty company saying "Your machine is to old to fix.  We will give you $200.00 for it"  my reply... well the clean version .. "GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY! " 

A nice young man came over to see if he could fix it, he removed the motor and took it to his buddy who repairs electric motors.  They took it apart and the guy tested everything and it works just fine on his work bench.  (shows what the dumba___ repair man knows) 

So now we are at a loss.  I did download the repair manual and my boy friend and the young man are going to see if they can find something. 

All I know is I am an unemployed widow and I can't afford to buy a new one.  Heck I don't want a new one.  My sons new Samsung takes TWO hours for a load some times more !!

Any idea what could be wrong with it ?   

Also before it died , and pretty much since I have had it when you spin the drum you can hear water sloshing around.  I wasn't sure if it was supposed to have water in it.  You can't see the water but you can hear it. 

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Neptune Model MAH4000AWQ washer wont work
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »
Hi,

Here are the parts for your washer.

Replacement parts for Maytag MAH4000AWQ WASHER

I would take a look at the control board that is located behind the timer.

See if the R-11 resistor is burnt up as shown in this photo.

If it is you will want to replace both the control board and the door lock wax motor at the same time.

Maytag Neptune Washing Machine Control Board, part number: 22002989

Maytag Neptune Washing Machine Wax Motor, part number: 22002119

Let us know what you find.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
What you hear sloshing is some kind of liquid that is used to help with balancing the tub during the spin cycle. It is sealed
inside the balance ring on the front tub.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
Check behind the console for the tech sheet.  There is a test for the motor control. 
The motor and control are replaced as a set, 12002039

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18:49 AM »
I had the same problem probably close to 8 years ago.  I replaced the components on the board along with the wax motor and also put a fuse in the system in case the wax motor ever goes again.  I replaced more than just the resistor.  My guess is that you don't solder so if that is the case do you have a friend that can?  maybe this guy that checked out the motor for you could do this.  AJ has already given you a picture of the board etc.  You can go here to see some more info on this.  There is even a guy who will fix the board here for you.  I don't know how old this site is but if he is still doing it then you will be set to go with the board without having to buy a new one.  In addition you will need to purchase the wax motor and have that put in.

http://www.applianceaid.com/neptune12.html

Those are my suggestions.

Rob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
I had the same problem probably close to 8 years ago.

The repair you posted about is nothing new, as you know being you did it 8 years ago.
It's been discussed in our forum many times. It's fine if as a DIYer you want to try and repair the board yourself.

I have tried the repair myself in the past and got tired of the call backs a few months later. I would say over half of the repaired boards in my case failed.
As a professional I can't afford them kind of call backs.

Sure there are many reports of DIY'ers having successfully repaired their neptune boards, but I have a feeling we just don't hear about all the failed attempts because the DIYer don't feel they are out much if it don't work, or only works for a few months.

Just my 2 cents on the subject, again. ;)

Hope you find our site helpful.

Maytag neptune washer wont spin

Started by Steve a

Replies: 6
Views: 3970
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:20:25 AM
by Ironhorse
Maytag Neptune Washer MAH4000AWQ won't spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1897
Last post January 17, 2012, 09:06:44 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune washer model MAH8700AWW

Started by brad

Replies: 11
Views: 7691
Last post May 21, 2012, 06:12:35 PM
by AJ
Model LAT9306AAE Washer wont spin or agitate...

Started by ddnw

Replies: 5
Views: 1598
Last post June 14, 2012, 11:43:39 AM
by JWWebster
maytag neptune MAH4000AWW washer wont complete cycle.. help...

Started by stephenlang

Replies: 5
Views: 1425
Last post June 17, 2014, 08:53:43 PM
by Wilson13
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8544
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def