Author Topic: MDBH970AWS control panel intermittent response, won't start wash cycle  (Read 1521 times)

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
We had a power outage yesterday and now when I try to use the dishwasher, the control panel won't allow itself to start the wash cycle on normal. Selecting anything but light or rinse won't respond, I can't get it to start. At one point, I was able to start the rinse cycle but as of now, I can't get the dish washer to run at all, it's like the front control panel has stopped functioning. What part is likely to have failed on this dishwasher so that I can repair/replace it?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Most likely the control board got damaged.
I tried to look up the control board part number for you, but there are two different ones for that model.

What is the serial number of your dishwasher?

Maytag Dishwasher Model MDBH970AWS Parts

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
I've given up on this dishwasher after I broke the handle off. Now that I think about it, this dishwasher has been working very sporadically over the past 3 years but worked enough to get by. It hasn't been cleaning the dishes very well and I'm just basically tired of it so I'm just going to replace it now. At $184 for a control board on a dishwasher with questionable reliability and it being noisy, I just think it's not worth fixing anymore unlike some other appliances which I have fixed. It sucks that over the last 15 years, we have gone through 3 dishwashers yet according to consumer reports, the average dishwasher lasts 11 years.

Any dishwashers you can recommend?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Any dishwashers you can recommend?

I like Whirlpool dishwashers.

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
Because of the cost of a new dishwasher and the fact that the dishwasher seems to be responding on the control panel once again, I think I'm going to try to repair this dishwasher... Alright, so one of the issues that this dishwasher has had is that the latch/handle has been broken but was secure enough to run the dishwasher for the past 4 years at least. Now that the handle has finally bit the dust, I'm looking to replace it. Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the two door switches on the dishwasher?

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
Re: MDBH970AWS control panel intermittent response, won't start wash cycle
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 01:30:58 AM »
Having issues with the control board and or the front control panel. I'm wondering, why are there two Control boards listed for sale? One for $120 and one for $160? Also as for the front control panel, has anybody had any luck using one from a different model dishwasher but otherwise mostly the same? (I.e. they use the same Mainboard)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
Usually they have a different series number ( first 2 numbers of the serial number) and therefore uses a different board.

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
But functionally they are the same? That perhaps one circuit board is the original board and the other one is the successive board?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Maytag was pretty bad about changing things in mid production. Stick with the board that your serial number calls for.

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
When working on the front control panel and control board, I disconnected the wiring harness from the detergent dispenser and the vent and I wanted to know if these connections are polarized or not. That it doesn't matter which direction I plug the harness into these devices.

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 05:58:56 AM »
Well it appears using the not quite exact (but from my estimation it was 90%+ close enough) front control panel from a Quiet Series 200 vs. my 300 fixed the electronic problem I was having as the dishwasher now starts up and operates how it should. Next issue is the horrible grinding/whining noise I hear from the pump motor. I know the motor isn't bad because if I remove all of the lower parts from the inside (wash arm, pump pick up, plastic impeller, grinder, etc.) running the dishwasher is relatively quiet. No there is no debris in here as I already tackled that issue about a year or two prior where I DID find a broken off piece from the lower dish rack that was being ground up.

So... at the level with basically no parts attached to the motor, it's quiet and when I put the parts back one at a time, the noise increases incrementally but it isn't at a disturbing level until I get to as referenced in the parts diagram #5 or "outlet" where the noise comes. The noise isn't even consistent though as sometimes I hear the horrible noise but sometimes I don't and I think it has something to do with how these parts are screwed in or perhaps I'm moving something else around that is causing this issue.

I'm thinking this post here: http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/233110-post2.html is the reason but I'm not sure.

Since working on the dishwasher, the noise is there every time I start up the dishwasher but it appears to go away after running the wash cycle for about 3 minutes or so. I'm not really understanding how the middle wash arms and or the water distribution assembly (that plastic manifold that runs from the bottom of the dishwasher and goes into the middle and top washer arm assemblies would cause these noises.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:07:01 AM by imzjustplayin »

whrilpool dish water does'nt start wash cycle

Started by gary

Replies: 1
Views: 1992
Last post June 17, 2008, 08:25:45 AM
by whirlpooltech
Maytag dishwasher Control panel replacement

Started by Pastyann

Views: 5924
Last post September 20, 2007, 12:28:07 PM
by AJ
GE Dishwasher Will not pump on wash cycle

Started by bp0611

Views: 3033
Last post February 25, 2008, 07:38:59 AM
by apptech
Quick wash and start buttons do not work on dishwasher.

Started by bless

Views: 944
Last post May 23, 2012, 10:16:08 AM
by AJ
Door leaks upon cycle start -- KitchenAid

Started by hsf

Replies: 2
Views: 1377
Last post September 29, 2008, 09:06:41 AM
by hsf
KitchenAid Dishwasher hangs during wash cycle at 82 minutes mark