Author Topic: Ice and water dispensers not working  (Read 3967 times)

Offline GM

• VIP Member
Ice and water dispensers not working
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »
We have a Kitchen Aid side-by-side model #KSCS25INSS00 with mfg date: 1-05 (didn't last much past warranty!@#$!)

The ice maker inside the unit is working but the ice and water dispensers don't work.  The display lights/LEDs on the door panel are not working (dead).  The light switch inside the freezer operates the light on & off and the display & controls inside the refrigerator all are working.

I have found the Whirlpool manual #R92 on your web site (much appreciated).  

Do you have any guidence, experience, or words of advice.....before I tear into this thing and start poking around???

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
Re: Ice and water dispensers not working
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
First thing I would check is the wires where they go thru the door hinge area, known problems with them breaking in this location....if this is the problem you have to hope there is enough wire to splice them back together, either that or have to replace the door....if this is not the cause will have to look elsewhere....

Offline GM

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »
Thanks Pegi....the wires at the base of the door appear ok.....no stress or scrape marks and they are not pulled tight (strained) when the door is opened & closed.....we are in Georgia and are prone to electrical storms (kinda like Texas....) and although I have a surge suppressor on the unit, are their other components that are weak and have a habit of failing??

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Ok the next time the displays and lights all go dead push in on the light switch and release it and tell me if everything comes back on....if so I believe I know the fix...

Offline GM

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:27:08 AM »
No luck with the light switch.....the panel is totally dead none of the lights or LEDs work.....??

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:55:49 AM »
This should be close, WW instead of SS, tells the color but may not be for your exact model, however about down to seeing if you have voltage to that board in the disp area from that control in the food compartment....you will need a volt meter/stick..remember that door switch does cut power when the door is opened...I would still be taking a closer look at those wires thru the hinge area, need to see if you have lost voltage to the disp area or if that board in the freezer door is toast...

http://partsfiles.tap.net/Refrigerator/KSCS25INWH00.pdf

Offline GM

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »
Thanks Pegi for your help and the parts file attachment. 

I taped the light switch closed and wiggled the door wires hoping I would get at least an intermittent connection.....nothing.  I think I need to go inside.  The parts file shows the front cover and the Whirlpool manual #R92 on this web site describes how to test the control switches but it says to remove the overflow grill and remove the screws to take the front cover off. 

Problem: on my model there doesn't appear to be any screws holding the front cover on.  Does it snap into the door?  How do I remove it without damaging it ($95.00 part!!!) ??  I have a volt/ohm meter and once inside I think the instructions in the manual will get me through it.....I appreciate your help....Thanks

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »
The problem may be that the pdf I posted for you is not an exact to your model number as I mentioned, we will need to find the one for yours to see if it is different at the disp area...

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:37 PM »
Ok Sears has no information on that exact model number, no clue about where to go from here..

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »
The parts file shows the front cover and the Whirlpool manual #R92 on this web site describes how to test the control switches but it says to remove the overflow grill and remove the screws to take the front cover off. 

Problem: on my model there doesn't appear to be any screws holding the front cover on.  Does it snap into the door?  How do I remove it without damaging it ($95.00 part!!!) ?? 

If it just snaps off you should see a couple slots on the bottom side were you can put a flate blade screwdriver and pop it off.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Water/Ice Dispensers stopped working

Started by tekniepe

Replies: 5
Views: 3713
Last post January 16, 2011, 08:36:35 AM
by tekniepe
No water from dispenser-ice maker working-replaced valve inlet

Started by Evan

Replies: 2
Views: 4041
Last post August 18, 2007, 05:17:53 PM
by Evan
No water at dispenser - ice maker working fine

Started by drstroud

Replies: 6
Views: 5401
Last post October 30, 2008, 09:37:43 AM
by Repair-man
Hotpoint water dispenser not working

Started by sgtv0811

Views: 6256
Last post December 27, 2008, 05:12:35 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore refrig 55539400 water dispenser not working

Started by tomruedi

Replies: 13
Views: 2278
Last post January 28, 2013, 06:48:32 PM
by AJ
Side By Side Clean Steel Refrigerator water is not working..

Started by help with dryer

Views: 3238
Last post March 16, 2010, 07:32:14 AM
by Repair-man