Author Topic: LG Waveforce Top Load creaking noise  (Read 3027 times)

Offline andysinnh

• VIP Member
LG Waveforce Top Load creaking noise
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »
Hi there.  New to the forum.  Good info in here!

I recently purchased an LG Waveforce WT5070 washer, had it delivered by Home Depot.  Washer works great - except after a week or so of usage I started getting a creaking sound from the top of the cabinet when the washer tub flexes side to side.  In doing some research on this washer, I know it has 4 hangers at the top of each corner of the cabinet, and 4 rods hanging from each corner to support the wash tub.  Overall the unit never hits the side, spins/works fine.  But the flexing of the tub (especially when full of clothes/water) generates a creaking sound from the top rear 2 hanger areas.  There are no signs of damage or other abuse to the unit - I made sure it was delivered into the laundry room with the top foam insert in place until it was leveled, so as not to stress the hangers.

Is there some sort of lubrication that these might need?  Or is this a sign of a problem?  Is there a way I can check these on my own, or should I call service?   The washer works great, and I intend to keep it for a long time, but I'm not sure whether this is a "problem" or an "annoyance".

thanks - andy

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG Waveforce Top Load creaking noise
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
Sometimes you may have to grease those top bushing @ top, just wheel bearing grease will work.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline andysinnh

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Sometimes you may have to grease those top bushing @ top, just wheel bearing grease will work.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks very much for your reply.  I'm assuming that the grease gets applied between the mounting plate and the rod disc as well (where the rod seats into the top mount).  I'm guessing that's where the squeaking is coming from.  I'm a pretty adept DIY guy so am not afraid to do this. 

As an aside, I'm assuming the top is released by pushing the small spring clips on the front edge of the lid - something like a thin butter knife or similar to push and release them, right?

thanks very much for your help!  This unit works great (once I figured out all the cycles and how to adjust the water level appropriately) - so if I can just get rid of that creak, I'll be a happier camper!

andy

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm assuming the top is released by pushing the small spring clips on the front edge of the lid - something like a thin butter knife or similar to push and release them, right?

Service manual sent via PM.

Edited to add: Service manual can now be downloaded at this link.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=441

Offline andysinnh

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
I'm assuming the top is released by pushing the small spring clips on the front edge of the lid - something like a thin butter knife or similar to push and release them, right?

Service manual sent via PM.
Perfect!!!  Thanks much for passing it along-  very helpful!

andy

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
 O0

Offline andysinnh

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
First, thanks to everyone for their help.  I found a bit of time today to pop the top open and see just how the rods attach to the 4 top hangers.  It appears that each one has a varying amount of pretty "sticky" lubricant (a real bear to remove from your fingers if you touch what's already there).  The idea of adding axle grease (or similar) sounds good.  But what's the best way to get the lube between the nylong/plastic hanger and the disc attached to the rod?  The drum is being hung by all for, so trying to get the disc lifted just enough out of the hanger to add lube seems difficult.  I don't want to mess anything up, so curious if anyone who's done this before has any hints?  It appears that there are spots in the 2 rear hangers that don't have lube consitenly placed - thus the creaking.

thanks again - andy

Offline andysinnh

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
Just a quick update.  I decided to not try the axle grease as a first attempt, and had a can of LiquidWrench "Dry Lubricant" in the house.  It's sort of a cross between silicone spray and white lithium grease - except it dries without any residue and leaves a coating of what looks like a dry, white lithium behind.  Sprayed all 4 corners liberally and ran 4 loads this weekend and it's still quiet as a mouse.  Not sure exactly how long it'll last, but so far so good. 

I looked a little more closely at the lube that LG uses from the factory, and it's really odd.  It's a clear lube, but VERY sticky - almost to the point where it can get wiggled out of the way and then make a bit of a sticky snapping noise when the mounting discs move from side to side (imaging the sound your shoe makes on a hard floor with something sticky on it as you walk along).  Anyway, not sure what purpose it serves except it appears to not flow back into its original position if it gets moved away with continued use in a particular area...

Anyway, so far so good.   Once you know how to open the hood (I used a plastic putty tool) it's easy to get to.  Not a hassle to address in the future.

andy

Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 6137
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
same as everyone else wont spin with a load make noise

Started by confused and tro

Replies: 4
Views: 3024
Last post October 02, 2008, 09:18:01 PM
by JWWebster
Roper Washer - On Spin cycle will make load buzzing noise, won't spin