Author Topic: Whirlpool Super Capacity Fixed!  (Read 992 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Whirlpool Super Capacity Fixed!
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »
Today I had the opportunity to check out a Whirlpool Super Cap 465 stove , one of them stoves with direct spark ignition. I had a breakthrough on this one and I want feedback on my theory of operation for this puppy. I have the manual and have studied the schematics and from what I figured out today the stove is a fancy Kanthal type spark/sensor operated gas safety valve. I been mulling it over as to which way this puppy works to the best of my understanding. From what I found out today the ignitor definitely does 2 jobs. But I cannot figure out in my head which way it works. Does the control actually sense resistance changes in the ignitor OR does the ignitor become a thermocouple with electrical current and actually bend the bi-metal inside the gas safety valve? Anyway I worked on my second one today and Success! I figured out what to replace but not why? Take a look:

Note: I have other shorter vids on the channel about this and 2 more in the phone that I ain't posted yet because until I figure it out I will blog it in it's entirety.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:39:51 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Super Capacity Fixed!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
After I figured out that the ignitor/sensor was contaminated. I decided to replace it. Larry had another one on his truck. I had another short video of how to remove the door. the manual was slightly off:

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

4322089 KR-21 Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 Gas & Electric Ovens Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5294
Last post August 18, 2009, 03:53:41 PM
by AJ
sf315pego whirlpool stove oven supper capacity 465

Started by pallanesfour

Replies: 0
Views: 915
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:20:15 PM