Author Topic: Ice Maker no worky  (Read 2284 times)

Offline markd

• VIP Member
Ice Maker no worky
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
Greetings and THANKS so much for this site!

My Whirlpool refrigerator (model # ED5LHAXMQ10 bought MAR2005) ice maker has quit for a third time. Have replaced the module and the water selonoid in the past. This time when I disassembled it I found quite a bit of ice buildup between the metal mold ice and the plastic mounting bracket. Once I got the ice gone I saw some damage / corrosion to the heating element (see pic).

Do you think this is the issue and should I just replace the mold ice part and or should I go further with parts replacement?

Offline markd

• VIP Member
Re: Ice Maker no worky
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »
Oh I forgot to add that the OHM reading was way higher than 72 so I am thinking this is a culprit...

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
Not only does that corroded heater look dangerous with possible 120V exposed, it looks like the damage has extended into the module also.  I would replace the whole ice maker if it was me.

Click part number link to order the part:
Ice maker part number:  2198597
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline markd

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
Not only does that corroded heater look dangerous with possible 120V exposed, it looks like the damage has extended into the module also.  I would replace the whole ice maker if it was me.

Click part number link to order the part:
Ice maker part number:  2198597

I just had the "maybe I should just replace the whole thing" thought right before I refreshed this page. I think I will do so. Thanks again for this site and your help!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
The heater has failed. You can see it. I have sold many of these. The probo is the heater assembly is dang near as much as a whole new ice maker dude. You can get a generic modular style ice maker from the big box store and simply remove it's harness if different from yours and use your old harness.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline markd

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
The heater has failed. You can see it. I have sold many of these. The probo is the heater assembly is dang near as much as a whole new ice maker dude. You can get a generic modular style ice maker from the big box store and simply remove it's harness if different from yours and use your old harness.

Thanks for that tip JW! I will take a peek in the local Menards / Lowes ? Big savings over the "factory" ice maker?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
Look for one and compare prices. Any ice maker will work as long as it has the same modular head as your old one. Harnesses will interchange. All them type ice makers come from the same source. They just have differing harnesses according to manufacturers specs but the end that plugs into the ice maker is the same on all of them.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
Holy smokes!  Looks like big box is selling ice maker kits (w/single valve, fill tube, and ice bucket) cheaper than I can get the icemaker by itself. . . . . wholesale.

I'm going to start buying my ice makers at big box.

I also stock the single valve, and the ice fill tube on the truck.  Triple bonus!
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
Holy smokes!  Looks like big box is selling ice maker kits (w/single valve, fill tube, and ice bucket) cheaper than I can get the icemaker by itself. . . . . wholesale.

We can talk about ice maker wholesale prices if you like in our 'Let's Talk Service' board if you want to start a new topic there.

The closest so called "Big Box" store we have around here is Menards, 40 miles aways. I have checked with them in the past, but just checked again this afternoon incase things had changed. Like before I was told they don't carry any ice makers, but they could order them. The price they gave me over the phone for a Whirlpool 2198597 was $149.00 and they do sell appliances there.

Maybe other "Big Box" stores are different or even Manards in different parts of the country, but that was my experience here with Menards.