Author Topic: Calibrate Refrigerator Temperature Samsung RFG297HDRS  (Read 14261 times)

Offline Minty1

• VIP Member
Calibrate Refrigerator Temperature Samsung RFG297HDRS
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
Hi, can anyone help with instructions how to calibrate the refrigerator temperature on my Samsung RFG297HDRS (I believe this is very similar model to the RFG297AARS). Last year (while in warranty) I had a service technician who pressed some of the control buttons because the temperature sensor was off by about 6 degrees. After replacing a board (now out of warranty) I find the temperature is again off. My thermometer reads around 40 when the refrigerator is telling me its at 34.
If anyone knows the combination of control buttons to enter the 'service' mode, or if anyone has the service manual, I would be grateful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Calibrate Refrigerator Temperature Samsung RFG297HDRS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
When the system power is initally engaged, the default set temperature are -4℉ for the freezer and 38℉ for the set
refrigerator, respectively. The numbers shown on the digital display panel stand for the actual compartments
temperatures. When the compartment temperatures go down, so do the numbers on the display panel, and finally they
reach the set temperatures. Once the system is stabilized, the display temperatures are the set temperature.
1) Freezer Temperature Control.
To select a set temperature, press the Freezer Temp. button. The display shows the set temperature from -14℉ to
8 ℉ in sequence.
2) Quick Ice Freezer Temperature Control
Interior Temperature of the freezer will be controlled with -14 degrees Fahrenheit until the ice bucket is filled up with
ice cubes. When the ice bucket is filled up with ice cubes, the freezer will run with original set temperature. Also,
whenever the ice bucket is released from being filled with ice cube, the freezer will repeat
to be controlled with -14 degrees Fahrenheit. But if you select "Ice Off, the freezer always will be controlled with
original set temperature.
3) Refrigerator Temperature Control.
To select a set temperature, press the Fridge Temp. button. The display shown the set temperature from 34℉ to
46℉ in sequence.
note) Because of the temperature sensor sensivity, the refrigerator can be under and/or over cooled when
the air flow is blocked by stored foods. (Temperature range of the sensor : 15℉∼80℉)
In the event of a power failure, if the freezer temperature is maintained lower than 41℉, the last
selected set temperature and functions memorized in EEPROM will be restored when the power is on.

Source (page 24):
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=337

Does this help?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Minty1

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »
JW, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I may not have explained the situation well... I understand how to control the temperature, but the problem is when the refrigerator reaches the temperature that I set, it isn't actually at that temperature. For example, if I set it to 36F, my thermometer shows 44F.  Now I know that there are a lot of factors that might cause the measurement to be off, but I leave it overnight with the thermometer at the coolest part of the fridge.
When this happened previously, the service technician pushed some of the front controls in some sequence that seemed to have brought up a type of secret technicians menu. From there he said he was able to recalibrate the controls to make it 6F cooler.
So what I'm trying to find is how to change the controller settings so that it is measuring the temperature accurately.
On a Service manual for a different Samsung Refrigerator, they call it the "set point shift function" which is accessed by holding a combination of buttons.
Thanks for any advice.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
One thing that will help is if you increase cooling by cleaning coils near the compressor
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »
I don't have the service manual for your fridge but I found some instructions that may work. 

Hold the Freezer Temp and Power Cool buttons for twelve seconds.
The Fridge Temp will show the mode and the Freezer Temp will show the offset.
For the refrigerator compartment adjustment, you want it on mode 1.

This part is a little confusing. You would think that you would want to lower the offset 6 degrees. But I believe you want to match the display to the current temperature.

So, to raise the offset 6 degrees, set the Freezer temp display to 13.  If I'm wrong and you need to lower the offset, set the Freezer temp display to 6. Some other temperature offset settings are 14 for +7, 15 for +8, 7 for -7. There is no setting for -8.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:26:22 PM by tgoods »

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »
Not sure if this works for your model, but this is what tgoods was getting at:

0 = 0 degrees temp shift
1 = -1
2 = -2
3 = -3
4 = -4
5 = -5
6 = -6
7 = -7
8 = +1
9 = +2
10 = +3
11 = +4
12 = +5
13 = +6
14 = +7
15 = +8

I hope I typed that all correctly.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline Minty1

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
Thank You ApplianceGuru and tgoods.

That is exactly what I was looking for but unfortunately I don't have a separate power cool button on my model (power cool is enabled by holding the fridge temp for 3 seconds). I tried the combination but it didn't work.

Guess I need to hold out for someone with the Service Manual for my model.

Thanks.

Offline chester1

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
I am facing the same problem in that I know how to re-calibrate but I don't have a separate power cool button on my model ti initiate that functional mode. I tried the combination but it didn't work. Can someone help as I am sure it is a simple combination of buttons (maybe in conjunction with a power off as I saw the tech do this the other day but cannot recall exactly what he did)

Offline Minty1

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
Chester, I did manage to get the right sequence, thanks to AJ who sent me the Service Manual for a very similar model.
What model do you have?

If it's a RFG297xxx, then there is no separate Power Cool button. Power Cool is operated by pressing the "fridge" button for 3 seconds. The same is true for "Power Freeze" being operated by pressing the "freezer" button for 3 seconds.

If that is the same on your model, then press the "Freezer" and "Lighting" buttons simultaneously for 12 seconds. You should hear a beep and the display will show "0  0".
Then you need to choose whether you need to modify the fridge or the freezer standard temperature.

For fridge, change the 'code' to "1", for freezer change the code to "0".
The code is the number displayed on the left.
The code is changed by pressing the "freezer" button (code UP) or "Energy Saver" button (code down).

Once you have selected the appropriate code, you change the reference temperature by changing the value displayed on the RIGHT.
The reference value is changed by pressing the "fridge" button (reference value UP) or "Lighting" button (reference value down).

Use the chart posted by Applianceguru to select the values you need. Example - if you believe your fridge is running too warm as standard and you want it cooler by 4F, choose 'code' 1 and 'reference value' 4.

By the way, you need to press the buttons within about ten seconds or it times out and reverts!

Offline chester1

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Thanks Minty1, really appreciate your quick response.

It worked a treat .. before the fridge went down to 23 deg. now it stabilizes around 38 deg by loading a code 15 into reference value 1. I also referred to a service manual from a side-by-side and the instructions are very confusing. To clarify what you mentioned, the code (on the left) changes the reference temp however Samsung use the term "reference value" (on the right) to notate which one of the 4 modes (values 0 - 4) you want to alter. In my instance to reduce the temp of the fridge I used a code of 15 (which raises the reference temp up 8 degrees.) and a reference value of 1.

While the need to load code 15 (max) clearly indicates there is problem somewhere (firmware?) it works fine. So I will stick with the old adage " if it aint broke, don't fix it"

I have been working on this issue for nearly a year, so thanks again for your help. 

Offline Phobus

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
  :cheers:Found this old thread, followed calibration instructions and it  WORKED for my Samsung RS277AC, so wanted to add it to the list. :cheers:

Since I bought my fridge 3 years ago, it has never gotten colder than 40F in the fridge.  Eight months ago, I used my extended warranty to have a tech come out and he did nothing except say he keeps his fridge at 40F, Idiot.  He didn't even check to see if evaporator fan was running, instead was going to order a new main board.

Month went by and no word from company that Samsung used. Called Samsung and they were so annoyed at the company, they refunded me all of my money. So I basically had a free fridge, still didn't cool the way I wanted, but was working.

Two days ago I decided to find the issue and took apart the back of the fridge to find out if the evap. fan was working. I didn't think it was working, because I never felt any air flow when the doors were open. Little did I know the fan only runs when door is closed. So took it all apart and thought I found the issue when I saw the damper door closed and thought motor was bad. I opened it. looked at fan, spun freely, everything looked nice and clean with no ice so I closed it up. Tested the fridge felt no airflow and decided to order a new evap fan.  Found instructions on diagnostics, ran them and no errors showed, but still thought fan was bad.

While searching for fan, found post on pushing door switch to activate the evap fan...lol. Pushed it and the fan came on about 10 seconds or so later.  So that was not the issue!

Anyways, I started digging the web for a main board and tech manual when I came up on this thread. Read it 3 times to make sure I didn't bugger up the steps and one day later the refrigerator is at its coldest ever of 36F. I set it to 34F, but 2 degrees is not going to make me mad, since I dealt with 40+F for three years.

So again, Thank you guys for the great wealth of knowledge. The fridge was never broken, just needed to be calibrated. Thanks to a tech without tech skills, I basically got a free fridge and with this thread a well working fridge!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Offline jrummi

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »
My fridge (RS265TDRS)
seems to have the hold for 3 sec button setup, but when I press the light and freezer button (the left upper and lower buttons) it turns cooling off (displays "of")  I think it is a mode for when fridge is at the store waiting to be sold.

Did this happen to any of you?
In case its different my buttons are arranged like this:
I have 4 main buttons and two displays(left/right)
The buttons are:
upper left (light/hold 3 sec to toggle F/C)
lower left (freezer/hold 3 sec for power freeze)
upper right(energy saver/hold 3 seconds for lock)
lower right(fridge/hold for 3 sec for power cool)

Offline Bertus

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
I can confirm that the same mechanism works for the Samsung RF31FMESBSR.  For this model hold Freezer and Lighting for 15 seconds to enter the "Service Mode".  The number on the right is the "code" for what you are adjusting. 0 for freezer, 1 for refrigerator - Not sure what the other numbers adjust.  The number on the left is the temperature offset.  Use the table that AplienceGuru already posted.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.  The coldest I could get this brand new fridge was 41F when measured with a fridge thermometer immersed in a glass of water and it was about to get returned to the store when I found this thread.  After adjusting the offset by -5F, The fridge now consistently hold the inside between 37F and 39F (bottom and top shelf) and the panel displays a temp that matches what the thermometer reports.

Offline bobconnolly

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
can any body tell me the setpoint procedure for model # rgs307aars hopefully somebody can help, thank you

Offline petergat

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
Chester, I did manage to get the right sequence, thanks to AJ who sent me the Service Manual for a very similar model.
What model do you have?

If it's a RFG297xxx, then there is no separate Power Cool button. Power Cool is operated by pressing the "fridge" button for 3 seconds. The same is true for "Power Freeze" being operated by pressing the "freezer" button for 3 seconds.

If that is the same on your model, then press the "Freezer" and "Lighting" buttons simultaneously for 12 seconds. You should hear a beep and the display will show "0  0".
Then you need to choose whether you need to modify the fridge or the freezer standard temperature.

For fridge, change the 'code' to "1", for freezer change the code to "0".
The code is the number displayed on the left.
The code is changed by pressing the "freezer" button (code UP) or "Energy Saver" button (code down).

Once you have selected the appropriate code, you change the reference temperature by changing the value displayed on the RIGHT.
The reference value is changed by pressing the "fridge" button (reference value UP) or "Lighting" button (reference value down).

Use the chart posted by Applianceguru to select the values you need. Example - if you believe your fridge is running too warm as standard and you want it cooler by 4F, choose 'code' 1 and 'reference value' 4.

By the way, you need to press the buttons within about ten seconds or it times out and reverts!

Samsung RB194ACWP fridge not cool enough, need calibrate temperature?

Started by Oliverw

Replies: 0
Views: 900
Last post October 18, 2013, 01:39:12 PM
by Oliverw
Samsung Refrigerator Freezer Temperature Sensor Broke off 1E Error Code

Started by chickenwarrior

Replies: 3
Views: 223
Last post August 25, 2014, 01:59:31 PM
by chickenwarrior
RS2530bsh Samsung Refrigerator