Author Topic: Kenmore (Whirlpool) Washer won't spin on normal cycle - will on permanent press  (Read 7982 times)

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
I replaced it......I suppose it still could be bad.  Probably not since I can get it to spin by carefully putting the timer just before the spin mark on the dial and turning it on.  It won't go there on it's own though.  Maybe i should bypass the lid switch to be absolutely sure it is not related to that in any way......  I am getting a replacement timer in case the one I put in is bad so that should narrow it down!  I'm going to get this thing fixed yet.....at least we can still do laundry by running a regular cycle (leaves the tub drained mostly but the clothes are wet) and then manually turning to a spin cycle so my wife is being patient.  Thanks everybody....

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
... it is stopping after draining without spinning....the timer will time out. 
The Washer motor completly stops (no noise), while the Timer continues ?
... and the new Timer has same symptoms ?

Don't by-pass the Lid Switch .. that will cause Drain / Spin issues
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:07:15 PM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Yes, exactly....no noise whatsoever other than if I put my ear close I can hear the timer.  So, let me recap:  If we do a load using the regular ultra clean or permanent press cycle it goes thru the cycles until the final rinse and drain and then times out without spinning (no noises).  I can move the timer to just in front of the spin mark on "2nd rinse" and it will spin for about two minutes - I can't remember how long it normally spins but the clothes seem dry enough.  If we set the washer to 2nd rinse before running the load it will leave the clothes wet ( I assume without spinning but didn't watch - you could wring water out of the clothes).

The timer I purchased was rebuilt from Sears-direct with a 90 day warranty so they are sending another one but I know it sounds fishy that there would be a similar problem with two different timers!  Also I  looked underneath while I had the cabinet off and there is nothing obvious going on down there.......

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
I had no idea sears sold used parts.
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
... sounds fishy that there would be a similar problem with two different timers!
... similar problem... or same problem ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Well, That's a good question....I would say similar because it acts a little different with this timer, e.g. I can get it to spin for longer but the same because it won't just go thru the final spin on its own.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
A schematic of this machine might be helpful.  Can you snap a picture of the tech sheet, and then post it?
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline Mayolito

• VIP Member
I had a similar problem, I change the clutch (and brake) , I cleaned the sheath of the transmission shaft, and it was solved. aparentely the clutch was slipping and in the rinse time it was more slippery. I decided start with that just becouse the cost and it worked for me. I hope this helps. 

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Problem finally solved - it turned out that the "Speed Switch" was the problem!!  (Regular, Heavy Duty, etc.)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Speed switch, interesting.

What's the part number on that switch?

Hope you find our website helpful.

Kenmore washer by whirlpool, slow spin

Started by deemessingup

Replies: 2
Views: 5238
Last post November 12, 2007, 02:47:14 PM
by deemessingup
kenmore washer clicking on spin cycle

Started by seek1369

Replies: 8
Views: 9644
Last post January 30, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 4750
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often

Started by JumpinJackFlash

Replies: 5
Views: 9009
Last post February 24, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
by JumpinJackFlash
Kenmore 90 Series Washer with Spin Cycle issues

Started by B_con

Replies: 2
Views: 4025
Last post February 28, 2009, 08:27:56 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 5254
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone