Author Topic: Kenmore (Whirlpool) Washer won't spin on normal cycle - will on permanent press  (Read 4845 times)

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Hi, Would really appreciate help on nailing down my problem with a Sears Kenmore Series 80 Washing Machine - Model 110.26832690.  We usually use the "Ultra Clean" cycle and right now it is stopping after draining without spinning....the timer will time out.  I can get it to spin by turning the timer to the rinse cycle of the "permanent press" cycle so I don't think it is the lid switch.  I suspect I need to replace the timer??

Thank You, I appreciate any advice.....

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Sounds like a bad timer to me too!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
I agree, sounds like a bad timer.
Your model washer uses Timer Part # 3951769

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
That was it.  (Replaced timer)  Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

Brian

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Awesome, thanks for the update.  O0

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Ooops, I was a little premature.  I had tried a quick rinse cycle and when I saw it spin I turned it off (it turns out that it only was spinning for a few seconds).  However now I just ran a normal load and when it gets to the rinse cycle it just gives it two short bursts of water and then times out without spinning.  The weird thing is I can move the timer over to the middle of the 2nd rinse cycle and it spins fine.  I haven't tried running yet with the 2nd rinse cycle selected to see if it will continue through that cycle and spin without having to do it manually.....     Not sure what could be going on!

Offline Major

• VIP Member
Hi Brian: First of all never say it isn't the lid switch, jump it out and try the machine. I have seen bad switches that worked intermittenly.
2/ check the hoses cold to cold and hot to hot, if backwards it will not rinse and there fore not advance to spin cycle.
3/ check to see if only cold water is entering the washer, I have had people tell me that the washer fills and washes but will not spin, but they had their water temp set to warm or hot so it did fill but rinse is only cold and there fore no cold water would enter the washer for rinse hence no rinse no spin.
4/ check the drain hose. is it sealed in the drain line, if so it can syfin all the water out of the washer during the rinse cycle. The drain needs an air vent in it to prevent this. some people tape the hose in the drain line and it may work the best kind for a while but for some reason the bit of air it was getting gets blocked  and then it syfins the water out. the washer will never fill for rinse so it dose not reach the spin cycle.
5/ check the coupling between the motor and trans I have see them cracked and they would turn the agaitor but not spin as the load is greater in spin
6/ lastly it could be the clutch or brake release    start with the easy stuff and work your way through the rest if need be
Hope this helps you out
Hubert

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Thanks again for the good advice.....I made sure the problem isn't with the lid switch, water hook-ups, etc.  The current behavior has me baffled because when i put it on a rinse cycle it proceeds normally and spins but only for 40 seconds or so, then it stops.  The timer continues until it times out.  If I run it on the whole wash cycle the tub drains but it doesn't spin at all.  I can't imagine that the new timer I put in is bad but don't know what else it could be! 

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
You can return or exchange the timer if bought online from RepairClinic.com

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
... I made sure the problem isn't with the lid switch
tested it, or by-passed it ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
I replaced it......I suppose it still could be bad.  Probably not since I can get it to spin by carefully putting the timer just before the spin mark on the dial and turning it on.  It won't go there on it's own though.  Maybe i should bypass the lid switch to be absolutely sure it is not related to that in any way......  I am getting a replacement timer in case the one I put in is bad so that should narrow it down!  I'm going to get this thing fixed yet.....at least we can still do laundry by running a regular cycle (leaves the tub drained mostly but the clothes are wet) and then manually turning to a spin cycle so my wife is being patient.  Thanks everybody....

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
... it is stopping after draining without spinning....the timer will time out. 
The Washer motor completly stops (no noise), while the Timer continues ?
... and the new Timer has same symptoms ?

Don't by-pass the Lid Switch .. that will cause Drain / Spin issues
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:07:15 PM by RegUS_PatOff »

Offline 1brian

• VIP Member
Yes, exactly....no noise whatsoever other than if I put my ear close I can hear the timer.  So, let me recap:  If we do a load using the regular ultra clean or permanent press cycle it goes thru the cycles until the final rinse and drain and then times out without spinning (no noises).  I can move the timer to just in front of the spin mark on "2nd rinse" and it will spin for about two minutes - I can't remember how long it normally spins but the clothes seem dry enough.  If we set the washer to 2nd rinse before running the load it will leave the clothes wet ( I assume without spinning but didn't watch - you could wring water out of the clothes).

The timer I purchased was rebuilt from Sears-direct with a 90 day warranty so they are sending another one but I know it sounds fishy that there would be a similar problem with two different timers!  Also I  looked underneath while I had the cabinet off and there is nothing obvious going on down there.......

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
I had no idea sears sold used parts.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
... sounds fishy that there would be a similar problem with two different timers!
... similar problem... or same problem ?

Kenmore washer by whirlpool, slow spin

Started by deemessingup

Replies: 2
Views: 3792
Last post November 12, 2007, 02:47:14 PM
by deemessingup
kenmore washer clicking on spin cycle

Started by seek1369

Replies: 8
Views: 7550
Last post January 30, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 3287
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often

Started by JumpinJackFlash

Replies: 5
Views: 6061
Last post February 24, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
by JumpinJackFlash
Kenmore 90 Series Washer with Spin Cycle issues

Started by B_con

Replies: 2
Views: 2967
Last post February 28, 2009, 08:27:56 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 2997
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone