Author Topic: Maytag MAH4000AWW won't tumble/spin  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
Maytag MAH4000AWW won't tumble/spin
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
I have a Maytag MAH4000AWW (serial #38294273WF), which I bought used about a year ago.

The washer has worked pretty reliably. For about 2 weeks last fall, I had problems getting the machine to complete the cycle. After either just letting the washer sit for a few hours or sometimes moving the knob to a new position, I could get it to complete the cycle. That problem went away and the washer worked fine until today.

Now, I cannot get the washer to tumble or spin. The door lock light comes on and the washer fills and drains correctly. But it shuts off just after a few seconds no matter what I try. Normally, I can hear a high-pitched whine when the drum starts to turn at the beginning of the cycle. The washer now shuts off before that sound appears.

I read numerous posts online about the R11 resistor (transistor?). I pulled the circuit board and R11 looks fine and there is no sign of any damage anywhere on the board.

I checked to see if the door lock mechanism might be the problem. It does not look like the wax motor on the lock mechanism is moving at all. I tried to "trick" the machine by simultaneously a) pushing in the sensor/switch that indicates the door is closed (which turns off the light), b) rotating the spring-loaded cam on the lock to the closed/locked position and c) pressing the start button. The wax motor never moved at all.

I see the wax motor actuates two micro switches. I tried the same procedure above with both of those micro switches actuated, but still no tumbling/spinning. Lastly, I manually moved the spring-loaded rod that the wax motor pushes so that both of the micro switches were activated and the machine still won't tumble or spin.

I'm no electronics whiz-kid, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have a multi-tester. But I can't tell where to start diagnosing this problem.

Is it possible that the wax motor on the lock has gone out? Or is this a problem with some other part that is preventing the wax motor from activating? Or did I make a mistake in diagnosing the door-lock wax motor issue?

I would appreciate any guidance anyone might have on how I can track down the source of the problem and try to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Max

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag MAH4000AWW won't tumble/spin
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
what color is your wax motor?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
The motor is red (or reddish).

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Red is the latest model wax motor I beleive.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
 Remove the front panel.  Set the timer to time delay and press the start button. Verify that the Delay light is on. Check for 120VAC at the motor control, black and white wires.  No voltage is a bad main control or the wiring.  Unplug the washer.  Unplug the JP4 plug from the motor control.  Plug in the washer and press the start button.  The washer should go into a self-test and spin at 50 rpm.  If it doesn't spin, you have a bad motor control. 
The motor and controller are replaced as a set, 12002039

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
JWW and tgoods, thanks for your help.

I followed tgoods' instructions. I am not sure I was testing the right wires, but I could not get 120 volts at the black and white wires on the motor control with the delay light on. The wires I was testing were on the lower half of the board, about 4 inches apart with large plastic insulator/connectors at the board. I am pretty sure I was making contact with the terminals and tried it several times, different angles, etc. but could not get any voltage reading on those wires.

There is also a two-wire connector on the right side of the control board, near the top, which has black and white wires. Should I have been testing those wires instead?

The drum did turn slowly with the JP4 unplugged from the motor control board. This sounds like somewhat good news but I have no idea where to go from here.

I would appreciate any guidance you all can provide. I'm really grateful for the help.

Max

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
These Neptune washers shut off whenever they sense a problem.  Unfortunately, they don't provide any error codes.   :(

I had one that shut off after a few minutes.  Turned out the drain hose was laid down on the floor, and shoved into a floor drain.  It was siphoning the water out as fast it filled.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
Dude I am old school. I am learning just like you on these shocktronic beasts.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
I am running out of time and patience with this repair. I found a new motor and control locally for $200 and I'm tempted to buy it and see if that solves my problem. But I have nagging doubts.

My "door locked" light does come on when I try to run the washer. The drum does tumble (slowly and with an odd noise) on the 50 RPM diagnostic spin.

When I try to run the washer, it sounds like the motor is TRYING to spin/tumble, but can't quite get going.

I can't SEE anything wrong with anything on the control board behind the timer knob. I also can't get 120 VAC on the black and white wires on the motor control board, but I am concerned that might be user error on my part.

I don't have money to waste on unnecessary repair parts, but I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks if that will help me get this washer up and running again.

Does my situation make sense to anyone out there? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Max

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
As with any part, if you purchase it through our site from one of our affiliates you have up to 365 days to return the part for any reason.

So if you have doubts about the part fixing your washer this gives you the chance to try it with the piece of mind that you can return it if it don't do the trick.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=4745.0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
200.00, thats a good price, i would by it , install new motor, & motor control, that will take care of your problem...

good point aj, that will work!!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:21:53 PM by bigbuck »

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

bigbuck, my concern on buying the new motor and control is this: It doesn't make sense to me that an electric motor would lose power. My understanding is that they either work or they don't. My motor does seem to work, albeit poorly.

Does it make sense to replace the motor? Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »
Yeah the problem is in the board but it comes in a kit, always change both due to different motor & board. Plus you get new wire harness from board to motor.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Maddmax

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
I was kind of afraid of this. I bought the part referenced by tgoods, which includes a motor and some kind of control module, but not the control board. It is paid for and I'm on my way to get it now.

Do I need a new control board also, or instead of what I bought?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
Do I need a new control board also, or instead of what I bought?

Just what you bought should be fine.

The board bigbuck was talking about is the one you get with the new motor.

Let us know how the repair goes or if you have any more questions.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 61052
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3249
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 5148
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW burning smell during spin cycle.

Started by ksujason

Replies: 15
Views: 18423
Last post September 14, 2008, 11:46:31 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag MAH4000AWW Inconsistent Spin Cycle

Started by waywild

Replies: 14
Views: 5818
Last post May 17, 2010, 07:52:10 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.