ok update; I was advised that when I released the pressure on the washer valve by having it call for water with the water turned off it "relaxes" the valve, that and my main shut off not completly shutting off made this happen
so.. i went to the vilage dpw this morning and borrowed the shutoff tool and shut the water off at the curb, I removed my main shut off screw valve and there was NO washer and no screw to hold the washer, i assume this would let water leak by !! It has been this way for awhile because the screw hole was full of crud..
So I ran a tap to clean up the threads and put a new washer and screw and reassembeled it and it seems fine now...
1) So water was probbaly leaking by with no washer there and by me releasing the pressure at the washer it came out in the tub right ??
2)If I had left the basement faucet open this would never have happened right ??
It is a ranch house with the stackable washer and dryer on the living floor BUT there is a 2ft sq hole under and behind that washer that MOST of the water came thru so there was NO standing water on the living floor and no sheetrock damage ...the floors are 2 layers of 1/2" plywood ( 55 yr old hosue ) I did talk to my carpet guy and he said " its all synthetic pad and carpet so it will not mildew or mold, let it dry"
1) do I leave the inlet valve alone, i had the water on last night all night and not a drop in the tub
2) should I buy a pan to go under the washer just in case and have it drain down on to the basement concrete floor to my floor drain ?
3) when I replaced the screw and washer on my shutoff I dug the old packing out from under the packing nut because it was all falling apert, I installed NEW packing but its not the graphite its like teflon , is that ok
4) so do I just let the dehumidifers run and let the carpet continue to dry or rip it up...
I really dont want the washer in the basement as we get older going up and down stairs all the time and in 25 yrs this has never happened...I suppose the same thing could happen with my dishwasher right ??