Author Topic: Need help bad...pls on stackable Kenmore washer  (Read 2899 times)

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
Need help bad...pls on stackable Kenmore washer
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »
we returned after a weeks vacation to a soaked floor and the washer tub full of water and overflowing even though it was shut off !!
Model 110.98575100

I also had the main water turned off. Now someone told me the ONLY way this could have happened is IF the main didnt shut off tight and the inlet valve stck or is bad,,,true ?

1) if so do I replace the valve or could it have been a fluke ??
2) if i have the main turned on so there is full pressure and the washer off would it fill the tub IF the valve is bad or is it only do it under low pressure ??
3) if the valve does need replacing how do I geth the top off the washer to get at it ??
4) and I probably should replace the washer in the main house shutoff or should I just install a ball shut off above this 50 yr old screw type shut off ?

I left the water turned on all night ( 11 hrs) so it was under full pressure and the tub was bone dry this morning..we are so afraid now to leave the house for fear it could do this agian and if it did with the water turned on it could be MUCH worse...we are besides ourselves at what we should do....Please help

pls help...thx

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Need help bad...pls on stackable Kenmore washer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
If you unplug it and water still comes out the machine then that is a bad water valve. Shut off the water supply and replace the valve. See page 111:

WHIRLPOOL DIRECT DRIVE AND THIN TWIN MANUAL
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:51:14 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
To be safe, I would replace your water inlet valve, 285805.  An inlet valve needs at least 20psi of pressure to work properly.  It's possible by shutting off your main it reduced the pressure enough to cause the valve to malfunction.  So I would replace your main valve too.  These two relatively inexpensive parts would buy a lot of peace of mind.

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
ok i can buy the part local for 27.00.,..

1)the unit is in a closet, can i remove the access panel and the top of the washer to change ??? pls explain how the top comes off

Again the washer WAS shut off and it did this...

2) I left it off all night but the water was on and it didnt get wet...could it be a problem with the control panel that called for water ?? Not second guess here but just want to be sure and if the valve was bad it seems like it would have filled the tub last night with it on ???

3)Also do you think i should buy a mini drain pan and put it under the unit with the drain going into the basement ??
  4)If so where would be the best place to buy it +

thx

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
Remove the splash plate and that reveals the hold down clips. Pop them clips and I believe the whole case comes off making it easy to access the innards. The manual above shows how to get into it on page 111. I believe your machine is what we call in the biz a skinny mini or some folk call it a Thin Twin.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
i dont see the manual and what is the splash plate ?? sorry

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
Here is the service manual JW was referring too.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4

I don't believe the link he posted will work unless you can sign into the service matters site.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Wow i thought I was posting a good link. It works for me. LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
Wow i thought I was posting a good link. It works for me. LOL

I did not think any of the servicematters service manual links worked unless you had been signed in, but I can't say for sure. I don't know why else they would not be able to see the service manual you posted the link too.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
Here is the service manual for the thin twin stacker too.

4314124 L-56 Whirlpool Large Capacity Thin Twin Stacker Laundry System Service Repair Manual

I have tried to make it easy to find the service manuals in our Download section.
If the service manual is available on our site i would appreciate you simply link to it.

Notice the search button at the top right on the download page. This will let you search in just the downloads.
Even using the forum search at the very top should lead you to a service manual if it's on our site.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
... under the unit with the drain going into the basement ??
why not put the Washer in the Basement .. worries over
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
Gonna go fix that right now.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
ok update; I was advised that when I released the pressure on the washer valve by having it call for water with the water turned off it "relaxes" the valve, that and my main shut off not completly shutting off made this happen ???

so.. i went to the vilage dpw this morning and borrowed the shutoff tool and shut the water off at the curb, I removed my main shut off screw valve and there was NO washer and no screw to hold the washer, i assume this would let water leak by !! It has been this way for awhile because the screw hole was full of crud..

So I ran a tap to clean up the threads and put a new washer and screw and reassembeled it and it seems fine now...

1) So water was probbaly leaking by with no washer there and by me releasing the pressure at the washer it came out in the tub right ??

2)If I had left the basement faucet open this would never have happened right ??

It is a ranch house with the stackable washer and dryer on the living floor BUT there is a 2ft sq hole under and behind that washer that MOST of the water came thru so there was NO standing water on the living floor and no sheetrock damage ...the floors are 2 layers of 1/2" plywood ( 55 yr old hosue ) I did talk to my carpet guy and he said " its all synthetic pad and carpet so it will not mildew or mold, let it dry"

so....

1) do I leave the inlet valve alone, i had the water on last night all night and not a drop in the tub

2) should I buy a pan to go under the washer just in case and have it drain down on to the basement concrete floor to my floor drain ?

3) when I replaced the screw and washer on my shutoff I dug the old packing out from under the packing nut because it was all falling apert, I installed NEW packing but its not the graphite its like teflon , is that ok ???

4) so do I just let the dehumidifers run and let the carpet continue to dry or rip it up...
I really dont want the washer in the basement as we get older going up and down stairs all the time and in 25 yrs this has never happened...I suppose the same thing could happen with my dishwasher right ??

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
... I suppose the same thing could happen with my dishwasher right ??
and the Fridge if it has an Ice Maker ...
and during any day of the week if no one is home ....
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
true...so i guess what you are tring to say is shut the water off everyday :)

Ancient Stackable Kenmore Washer... dead

Started by kathiep

Replies: 4
Views: 2707
Last post November 04, 2008, 01:15:16 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Stackable Unit Washer Tub Wobbly/Loose 417.97812700

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 7
Views: 1504
Last post May 12, 2013, 03:53:24 PM
by PARTech
Kenmore stackable front load washer won't spin or agitate 417.42142100

Started by Tarrantcountyappliance

Replies: 4
Views: 161
Last post October 16, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
by Tarrantcountyappliance
How do I access Kenmore Washer Timer. 11023034100?

Started by wsommariva

Replies: 7
Views: 12892
Last post September 02, 2007, 04:58:36 PM
by AJ
Video: Why My Kenmore Washer Died

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 4659
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:06:51 PM
by AJ
Kenmore (frigidaire?) washer 417.29042991 No Spin - drains fine