Author Topic: LG Dishwasher with LE error code  (Read 2507 times)

Offline mrbandit

• VIP Member
LG Dishwasher with LE error code
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
Boy am I glad I found this forum.  I bought a 6810ST about 4 years ago and this thing has been the biggest jalopy.  Anyhow, I just recieved the LE code two nights ago.  I found this forum, read this post and proceeded to take stuff apart.  When I got down to the impeller it would turn, but instead of a smooth spin it felt very gear like.  There was string inside the impeller, but that was it.  During my removal of the impeller I found out it had reverse threads, so I need a new impeller I know.   :embarassed:  After a good cleaning of everything I reassemblied it and ran a cycle.  It went about 20 minutes before it threw the code again, but all along the way there was a terrible noise like a screw driver being drug across a wire mesh.  I quickly took it apart again and found the impeller very hard to turn and very hot to the touch.  After removing it I set it on the counter and noticed my reverse thread discovery\incident torqued the impeller and it was no longer straight I would say.  I don't know if that was the cause of the noise.  I had first thought it was the blade on that protection screen, but I didn't see any marks on the screen.

After this even would does it sound like only the motor & impeller need to be replaced?  I was thinking about replacing the whole assembly, but after seeing the price difference I would rather not.  I do know that after throwing the code and starting it again the pump that drains the water is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: LG Dishwasher with LE error code
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »
Does it make the noise with the impeller removed?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mrbandit

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
I can say that it does not make the sound.  I can also say that if you remove everything, don't put back anything removed and run it....well you will need a mop.   :-\

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »
If it don't make no noise with the impeller removed I would say the motor must be ok.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mrbandit

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
I'm sorry, but I should have clarified that.  It did not make the previous sound.  It did make a sound that didn't sound too good, which is why I checked on it and found all of the water.   :-\

Just to be sure...should the impeller\shaft turn smoothly or clunky\gear like?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »
Should be smooth. Clunky sound might mean a bad motor bearing. I don't mess with many dishwashers even though they pretty easy to fix most folks toss em and get another. You go putting a motor in there this week and next week you need a control board ain't worth a dang.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mrbandit

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
I hear that.  You'd think for $1k it would be indestructable.  Don't even ask about my LG fridge that almost caught fire.  And to think I sold a 77 Trans Am to buy all top of the line appliances for our new house.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
You'd think for $1k it would be indestructable

If you can replace the motor yourself I would consider spending the money to fix it.
It's not like your going to buy another dishwasher for $1k and end up with anything better. ;)

Enter the full model number of your dishwasher in our parts search box at the top of the page to see just how much a motor is for it.

Don't even ask about my LG fridge that almost caught fire.

I would really love to hear that story. What happen?

And to think I sold a 77 Trans Am to buy all top of the line appliances for our new house.

Ouch!

Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
You had a smokey and the bandit style trans am? Wow.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mrbandit

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
Yep, it was a true Y82 Black and Gold just like the movie car.  Sold it at 5pm one day for $14,500 and spent $9k at Home Depot that night.   :'(

I guess I'll spring for the motor and items at $100, but seeing that there are at least 5-7 stainless DW at Lowes for a little over $300 it makes it a hard decision. 

As for the fridge.  I have a bottom freezer pull out with the double door unit.  One day morning while making lunch for the kids I opened the doors, took out my sandwich stuff and when I went back to the fridge about 45 seconds later the entire light assembly had melted on the top shelf and it was like walking into a sauna.  It was a year out of warranty, but LG was happy to pay for the repairs.  Apparently the clear bulbs(2) are high wattage bulbs.  The controller board fried and sent full wattage instead of the 10 watts the repairman said it was supposed too.  I received some class action lawsuit papers in the mail, so it wasn't a freak thing.  I was lucky, but others weren't. 

Whirlpool Steam Dryer F23 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 6560
Last post April 25, 2008, 08:25:02 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Error code 40 on Oasis Elite Dryer

Started by MWCmike

Replies: 3
Views: 4373
Last post September 16, 2008, 03:36:21 PM
by Repair-man