Author Topic: FTFB4000FS1 Turns on by itself  (Read 961 times)

Offline blondejon

• Technician
    • RenewAppliance
FTFB4000FS1 Turns on by itself
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »
I replaced the control board in this thing a few weeks ago (see link below).  Now it is turning on by itself.  I ran it in diagnostic mode and came up with an E14 error for reed switch.  Did the test and it worked fine.  Could this be the control board failing again?

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9662.0

Replacement parts for Frigidaire FTFB4000FS1 Frigidaire/washer

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
Re: FTFB4000FS1 Turns on by itself
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:50:14 AM »
Some of these boards have a jumper wire soldered into the circuit board, where the reed switch plug is supposed to be.  It is either a redesign that removes the reed switch completely, or some models don't need the reed switch option.  This wire fools the control into thinking the detergent drawer is shut.  Your reed switch error code might have something to do with that.

If there is a jumper wire soldered into the circuit board, and you still get a reed switch error, then it is a bad board.  With a wire soldered in, there should never be a reed switch error.  If you have a reed switch plug, then make sure the reed switch is plugged in, and the detergent drawer is closed, and aligning properly.  Also, make sure the magnet is still in the detergent drawer.

Can you get these machines to turn on by opening and closing the detergent drawer??  If so, that could be your whole issue.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline blondejon

• Technician
    • RenewAppliance
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »
Thanks ApplianceGuru!  What's the manufacturer part# for the reed switch?  I think I will show up with a new board and reed switch.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
I can't find a reed switch for that model.

I'm not saying this is your problem.  I have only seen reed switch issues twice.  Once it was a cracked control trim, and the magnet was shaking away from the reed switch.  This caused the machine to throw errors, shut down, and not spin up to full speed.

The other time I got a reed switch error, and there was a jumper instead of a reed switch, so that was obviously a bad board.

You may have simply gotten the reed switch error because someone tried to run the machine with the detergent drawer out of place.  Of course, since I can't find a reed switch on the parts explosion, this model may not have a reed switch.

Furthermore, there are inconsistencies with the control board part.

The AppliancePartsPros picture shows a picture of part number 137005000 at Appliance Parts Pros with the reed switch connector, and RepairClinic shows part number 137005000 at Repair Clinic with the jumper wire???

Which one is it?  I would post some pictures with arrows to point out the reed switch plug location, but I have to find a place to host the pictures, and I don't have time.  I BELIEVE the reed switch connector is inside the fourth casing/housing hole, going left from the lower right, but I can't be certain, as I don't have a schematic. . . . or a board, in front of me.  You'll have to verify that once you get out there.

You will see in the photos provided by the two links above, that one of the control boards has a connector soldered in place, and the other one has a wire solder across, instead of a connector.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »
Any time one of the control buttons is pressed, the board powers up. You may want to take a look at the console buttons/springs & make sure they are all in the proper position. One of those out of place could be causing an intermittant button activation. Most of the replacement boards for this style don't have a connector for a reed switch. As the Guru said, they have a jumper in place of the connector.

Washer sqeaks as it turns in agitation

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 5
Views: 2335
Last post March 31, 2010, 10:00:33 PM
by john63
FTFB4000FS1 Used to turn on and off and is now dead

Started by blondejon

Replies: 2
Views: 885
Last post March 23, 2012, 08:48:31 PM
by blondejon