Author Topic: furnace fan running cont. no cooling  (Read 1468 times)

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
furnace fan running cont. no cooling
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
Hi guys, I need some help. I do not have much info. trying to help an elderly person with there A/C unit. I was told the indoor fan runs continuously but there is no cooling, indoor fan will not shut off, my first thought would be fan relay. the owner could not tell me if this furnace is gas or electric or the make and model. just wanted some input of what i should look for. I do very little A/C work, and I would like to help this customer if I can. I will go out to take a look. I do not have A/C parts on my truck. what should I take with me? what would be a common relay to take with me? or limit switches?  thanks

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Re: furnace fan running cont. no cooling
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
If unit is in auto fan mode it will not cycle until thermostat is satisfied. If unit is low on freon you may have an iced up evaporator coil which would block the flow of air. A dirty coil would also block air flow. Check that your condenser units compressor and condenser fan are running. Good luck.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
The fan lever on the thermostat must be in the MANUAL position on the thermostat. They might think the ac is on but just the fan is running and therefore she ain't cooling. Make sure it is in the AUTO position and the tstat is set for cooling. Replace the filter and wash down the outside unit. Oil the fan motors. Once you make sure all of that is up to snuff report back with not necessarily the model number but what kind of unit it is and include any photos of it you might have a question with. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:09:15 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
If this is a gas furnace,reset all the rollout switches on the burners. A tripped rollout switch causes the fan to run continuously.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
Sorry guys for the late update, when i arrived at the house. I noticed to fan was not running as the customer said, so I switched the T stat to cool and auto nothing happened, so I took of the housing and jumped the G &R  and the fan came on, then i jumped the Y & R and the condenser and comp. came on, so I changed out the T Stat and problem was solved, thanks for all your help. also before i did all of this i checked all of the safety switches on the furnace all checked good.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the update. Glad you could get her going.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Furnace fan keeps running after normal shutoff by thermostat.

Started by hleebeard@sbcglo

Replies: 1
Views: 5753
Last post January 10, 2009, 09:00:48 PM
by JWWebster
Airtemp furnace

Started by maypo52

Replies: 9
Views: 7777
Last post March 05, 2008, 02:36:32 PM
by JWWebster
whirpool furnace fs643-125cr

Started by ddh

Replies: 2
Views: 2427
Last post July 04, 2008, 09:44:24 AM
by ddh
Rheem Furnace needs a new Thermo Coupler

Started by rezman6

Replies: 3
Views: 5825
Last post October 31, 2008, 08:07:56 AM
by Icehouse
Annual Furnace Tune Up and Maintenance

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 0
Views: 3024
Last post January 24, 2009, 07:28:17 PM
by Icehouse
How does a Warm Air Heating Furnace work?

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 0
Views: 6174
Last post January 24, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
by Icehouse