Author Topic: Jenn Air (Maytag) M#JGS8750BDS "bake" & "broil" buttons do not respond  (Read 2686 times)

Offline bobbyflagg

• VIP Member
I got a JennAir Gas oven (maytag) M#JGS8750BDS and the Bake and Broil buttons do nto respond at all.  the clock and all other buttons on the panel work, but the bake and broil do not.
Is it simply time to replace the panel?  I did not see any ribbon cable in the diagrams.  The top burners work fine.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
The touch panel is built into the cover, there will be a ribbon connector from that to your control board.  Ground yourself (and make sure the power is off to the range) before messing with it.  I have cleaned the ribbon connector with an eraser and had it work only about 15% of the time.  Mostly the touchpanel section has to be replaced.  Seems they are out of stock at the moment, but here is a link http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad-and-Control-Panel/W10206074/1482205?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=74011709
Serving North Idaho

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Our other parts affiliate, AppliancePartsPros.com has it in stock.

WHIRLPOOL Part # W10206074 Panl - Cntrl, AP4369683

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bobbyflagg

• VIP Member
Im gonna go at it with the eraser and then let them decide if they want to change the panel.  I saw on the searsdirect site it is NLA, but listed as back ordered elsewhere.  I will let you know how the eraser works.

Offline edgarb

• VIP Member
Re: Jenn Air (Maytag) M#JGS8750BDS "bake" & "broil" buttons do not respond
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
Wanted to comment on my experience with this problem since I used this forum as a guide to my repair. (Thanks to the original posters.)

I have a six-year-old Jenn-Air JGS8750BDS range and the touchpad stopped working. The clock was still displaying (and predictably incorrect), but I couldn't operate any of the buttons. Touching them produced no response. Did some Internet research and decided it probably needed to be replaced.

I contacted Jenn-Air via their chat service and they offered to have an authorized repairman come and analyze the problem for a $125 non-refundable service fee in addition to the parts and labor that would inevitably follow. The replacement part was available at repairclinic.com for $332.90 and I'm pretty sure that the authorized repairman would've marked that up. Having completed the job now myself, I'm pretty sure that the repairman would've charged for two hours of labor and likely would've insisted on replacing the circuitry board as well.

Decided to DIY this one.

Couldn't find any usable repair manuals on the web, but wasn't too frustrated by that.

Ordered the backordered part and it came in two weeks. (Link to part.)

Took about fifteen minutes to remove the old panel. It's a total of 10 screws and six wire interfaces to the circuitry board. Removing it was hindered by the overhanging stovetop assembly. This would be a bigger issue when installing the new one.

Removed the circuitry board from the old panel (4 screws). The old ribbon that clicked into the circuitry board from the touchscreen panel was poorly manufactured -- like two pieces of sticky tape covering the metal conduits. Even on the new ribbon, they quickly separated; the cheap stickiness was no match for the bend of the flexible plastic. (Sigh.) The old ribbon was a little dirty and this may have been the problem, although I can't say for sure.

Attached the original circuit board to the new panel, reattached the ribbon interface, and then tried to hook everything back up, but the cables were too short and my fingers couldn't fit into the narrow space required to click the wires back into their seats on the circuit board. Attempted to remove the stovetop by removing six screws located just beneath the stovetop on the side of the stove, but there were also screws holding down the metal burner conduits. Removed one of those, broke one and two others weren't going to budge. Had to zilch that idea.

I was able to prop the stovetop up about another quarter inch by wedging a rubber tool handle beneath it enough to give me a little extra room, but not stress any of the gas conduits or screws too much. Used some tweezers and other tools to finally successfully reseat the wires into the circuit board.

Put all the screws back in and tested it. Everything was fine.

Total time for the repair was about 90 minutes. Requires minimal competence with home repairs and if you're comfortable fixing computers it'd probably help. Expect to be frustrated and bring nimble fingers.

Total cost was <$350 for the new panel and my sweat equity. Tool needs are minimal: a phillips screwdriver and socket set. I think it would've cost at least twice that PLUS being cajoled into buying a new circuit board had I let Jenn-Air send their authorized repairman. By the time you dump $900 into fixing the thing you're ready to just buy a new stove out of frustration.

NOT happy with Jenn-Air. The repair option was outrageous. This part -- new -- is still poorly manufactured and I expect it to break again. In general, I don't understand the need to computerize everything to the degree manufacturers do. And all of the stove is rock-solid save for that one horrible part through which nearly everything flows. Just awful.

Hope this is useful to anyone else with a little elbow grease and the same problem. Don't shy away from saving $500 on repairs and just DIY. And don't buy the circuit board before you replace the touchscreen panel -- it's highly unlikely that they're both broken at the same time. Clearly, the cheap connector ribbon between the panel and the circuit board is the culprit!

PS:

The kosher feature on this oven is undermined by a clock that is perpetually slow. On the old range, the time would be off by several minutes after a month following a fresh reset. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see if this new clock is as poorly calibrated as the old one. Anyone else notice this?

Offline raven2422

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
I want to thank you for your informative post as I am having the exact same problem.  I 1st thought this might be a board problem and was going to try fixyourboard.com, but from what you have described this may be a waste of time.  Your post was also a help in tracking down the correct parts numbers.  The next range will be free of electronics; yes, they do exist.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:40:25 PM by raven2422 »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
Ask your gas suppier for a non electric (standing pilot) range. They still make em.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool oven "bake" setting doesn't light up.

Started by jaworf

Replies: 6
Views: 4782
Last post August 10, 2008, 08:33:54 AM
by jaworf
error code "BAKE"

Started by Crow

Replies: 3
Views: 1572
Last post January 15, 2009, 10:25:08 PM
by Crow
7" Touch Screen Panel/Module for Late Model Jenn Built-ins (Scrap For Grab)

Started by rmbraught

Replies: 2
Views: 1948
Last post June 18, 2010, 04:05:10 PM
by rmbraught
Maytag CGR3730ADH (30" range) lock light blinking after power outage

Started by spup345

Replies: 8
Views: 5880
Last post May 22, 2011, 05:20:08 PM
by AJ
Kenmore 30" slide in bake ele. wont cut off

Started by woodchuck

Replies: 0
Views: 427
Last post October 18, 2013, 06:21:18 PM
by woodchuck
MMV42054BA (Maytag) Runs, no heat - "HVT" fuse blows (wrong type fuse?)

Started by c-peter5

Replies: 9
Views: 1149
Last post October 27, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
by c-peter5