Author Topic: Maytag Model PYE4558AYW - Last try before I go medieval on this thing  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Shotgun

• VIP Member
Please see history and manuals and parts here: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9639.0

I have determined something very odd which I am hopeful someone will be able to easily diagnose.

The dryer is not heating to the proper temperature when it is connected to the exhaust system.  In the event that the cause of the problem was airflow, I replaced the entire exhaust line -- it is a TOTALLY clean exhaust pipe to outside.  There is NO resistance to the airflow at this point.

HOWEVER, when I remove the interior exhaust pipe from the back/base of the dryer, the dryer heats up to proper temperature in about 30 seconds.  The dryer continues to run at the proper temp until I hook it back up to the exhaust line.

The force of air is strong from the dryer, the blower is not stripped and is turning properly, but the flow of air into the machine seems low when connected to exhaust.

WHAT is going on here?

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
I sounds like your problem lies in you house ducting.  There is always resistance to air from ducting.  The longer the duct, the greater the resistance.  The thinner the ducting, the greater the resistance.  The more bends and elbows, the greater the airflow resistance.  Sometimes people have to run 6" pipe for long distances, and there are dryer duct booster blowers that you can buy and install on long duct runs.

How long is your exhaust, how big is the ducting, and how many bends do you have in it?  I'm not sure how to figure out if it is too long, but the installation manual should give you some numbers.

If your element gets "RED RED" hot it usually means you don't have enough airflow.  When the airflow is good, it's color will be, as you said, "PINK BLACK"  My guess is you have RED RED when the duct is hooked up, and PINK BLACK when it is not hooked up.

It doesn't appear the moisture control board has anything to do with running the heater.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
post actual Vent temperatures ..
(don't start a"New Topic")

After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Shotgun

• VIP Member
The exhaust track is roughly 8 feet of rigid 4" aluminum with two elbows, followed by another 8 feet of flexible 4" aluminum with a single 120 bend in it before it hooks to an exhaust vent (to outside) which appears to not close properly -- I have cleaned the vent to try and fix this, but to no avail; I may simply just replace it to complete the job, but there is no blockage of the tract.

I have not checked the "glow" intensity of the new setup; I will do that, but I have found that it doesn't really help much, since the unit must be closed for proper air flow over the heating coil (correct?).

The dryer is running roughly 170F without the exhaust pipe connected.  With the the pipe connected, and upon removal, it hits 100F, and ramps up quickly taking about 20-30 seconds to get back up to 170F.

I agree it seems like the exhaust line is the problem, but there is nothing left to replace and/or diagnose.  I would hate to hook this thing up to a lint filter on the end of a shortened exhaust vent....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Ever heard of a dryer duct booster fan?

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Shotgun

• VIP Member
Ever heard of a dryer duct booster fan?

No, but I'm interested.

I just did some research, and they seem best equipped for commercial usage -- plus they run over $100!

I'll keep looking, though, maybe I'll get lucky on Ebay.

Offline Shotgun

• VIP Member
Ok, I am finding many more now -- many which are a lot cheaper.

Perhaps I will try one.

Here's a beer, JW, for your continued attention.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
 :pint1: Thanks!  :cheers:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Model PYE4558AYW - Dryer not getting hot enough, AGAIN

Started by Shotgun

Replies: 36
Views: 3831
Last post March 27, 2012, 11:02:17 AM
by Shotgun
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 5679
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
Maytag Neptune Model #MAH6700AWW starting issue

Started by Washaman

Replies: 5
Views: 1092
Last post March 27, 2012, 07:52:25 AM
by Washaman
maytag dryer model #MDE308DAYW

Started by rodey

Replies: 9
Views: 1693
Last post May 07, 2012, 11:15:16 AM
by AJ
maytag model MED5740TQ0 Heater is always on

Started by johnnason

Replies: 3
Views: 849
Last post June 13, 2012, 09:16:02 AM
by AJ
Maytag Performa Dryer Model Number PYE2000AYW Loud Thud & Burning Smell?

Started by bug34

Replies: 4
Views: 1168
Last post July 14, 2012, 10:46:14 AM
by JWWebster