Author Topic: Maytag refrigerator, top of freezer warm, bottom part still frozen...no ice  (Read 6036 times)

Offline tntrucker

• VIP Member
I woke up yesterday and was told that the freezer door on my side by side Maytag stayed open most of the night and it had ice buildup on the bottom, but was melting away on the top part of the freezer. I unplugged it and cleared everything out including all of the ice........removed the inside lower back panel and melted what little ice was left w/ a hair dryer.

Pulled the unit from the wall and cleaned it w/ compressed air (wasn't that bad), then plugged it back in and let it run overnight.........today it is still warm on top (64f) and well below freezing at the very bottom of freezer (-3f +/-)  Model#MSD2650HEW

Any ideas what I can do to fix it? The refrigerator side is also warm on top & cold on bottom

Offline ranway

• VIP Member
Hello, if you hear your evaperator fan (inside the freezer, just above evaperator) running, the top would be as cold as the bottom because of air circulation. It sounds like you should unplug the unit and check continuity across your defrost element/s. If defrost element has continuity, it may beyour BiMetal thermostat, or your ADC. When frost is present on your evaperator, then your temperatures may only be 32 degrees in spots on your evaperator causing air flow blockages. I once worked on a fridge that the water inlet (Ice Inlet) didn't close all the way and water kept dripping on the evaperator freezing over. I had replaced the BiMetal Thermostat, because everything tested ok, and the next day had the same problem. Replaced the inlet that was stuck open just enough to drip. That solved that issue

Offline tntrucker

• VIP Member
Thank you Ranway,

My evaporator fan is not running.........should I just replace it, (does it run all the time?) or check the continuity like you suggested as well?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
check it
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tntrucker

• VIP Member
Not real sure what you mean JW.......I'm not a pro repairman, just a homeowner trying to figure out how to get my fridge back up and running w/o spending a fortune...

I'm afraid I need the "fix it for dummies" version since that's what I'm feeling like right now :-\

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
The evaporator fan motor should only run when the refrigerator calls for cooling and cycles on.

If you have a multimeter you can check the motor for continuity to see if it's ok or needs to be replaced.
If the evaporator fan motor does not have any continuity then you should replace it.

Here is the evaporator fan motor for your model refrigerator if you need to order it.

Evaporator Fan Motor Part # W10128551 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
see if the service manual will help you:

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
Is the condenser fan at the compressor running?
Is the compressor running or making a clicking sound on then off?
You do not have a defrost issue.
You have a not cooling issue.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tntrucker

• VIP Member
@AJ, Thank you......am looking through the manual to see if it tells me how to do that (I do have some multimeters)

@bigbuck, very much appreciated! I'm sure this manual will be helpful  O0

@jumptrout51, both the compressor and the fan seem to be working properly....I guess since no air is circulating inside the unit, it prevents the top from cooling and making ice? Thank you

Offline tntrucker

• VIP Member
per manual > 6. Remove the evaporator fan motor assembly
and place it on a work surface.
7. Connect the motor terminals to a service
cord and plug the cord into the
power source.
8. If the motor fails to operate, it is defective
and must be replaced.

I did that and got nothing......continuity-nothing

Do you think replacing the evaporator fan will fix the problem, or might there be other issues? Thanks for all the help everyone...

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
If you removed the evap/van, and jumped it out to a 120 volt plug in,  and the fan didn't run its the fan.  I have not looked this  up to find out if its a malti speed fan, and what the voltage value is on that motor.   Make sure before plugging it into a 120 volt power source you know the voltage value from the evap/motor.  Brent@CanBC

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
Do you think replacing the evaporator fan will fix the problem, or might there be other issues?

I would replace the evaporator fan. That's probably all that wrong with it.
"Depend on us."

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Let us know how you come out with the repair.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Refrigerator no water and top of freezer is warm

Started by ewinds

Replies: 14
Views: 6469
Last post March 28, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
by AJ
Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7368
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM