Author Topic: Maytag MAH8700aww washer--wet clothes  (Read 2527 times)

Offline westernva

• VIP Member
Maytag MAH8700aww washer--wet clothes
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
This is going to be a little long, so please bear with me.

Our Maytag MAH8700aww washer is about seven or eight years old.  These were manufactured by Samsung for Maytag, and we bought ours at Lowe's.  Unlike many other posters on the internet, we have never had problems with excess vibration, walking, etc., for which these models are infamous (I find out now).

Last week, immediately after we ran a (successful) load, we got a "Sr" error, which indicates a relay problem with the control board.  Replacement was the only option offered in the manual.  Sure enough, when my husband inspected it, he found a small burn spot at one pin when he removed one of the cables.  Nothing would run.

He looked for a replacement at a dealer in a nearby city, but it was out-of-stock.  There are two different control boards for this model, depending on the series - ours took part #34001494 (whirlpool part, as they now own maytag).  I looked online, and talked to a rep at a major parts dealer.  She said the shortage was nationwide - all their warehouses were also out-of-stock.  I found one on ebay and purchased it quickly.  It said "new in box" and the seller had a very good rating.

The seller rushed the part to me, and it does look new.  There were a couple problems, though.  The newer boards come with an additional part, a new "motion control sensor" designed to deal with the vibration/walking problem noted above.  It is supposed to attach to the control board with a cable.  The board we received had the motion sensor in a separate bag, but the five pins were damaged, bent down to either side.  The cable had five holes in each end, but there was no five pin plug on the control board anywhere to receive the cable, so we're not certain if this is really a newer board, or one of the originals.

Since we had never had the motion sensor part before, and had never had a problem, my husband installed the new board without the motion sensor.  It seemed to be working fine.  All the controls acted just as they had before.  We ran a load, and there were no error codes, but it came out more damp than normal.  My husband did all the diagnostic tests we could find that seemed related.  The spin speed will not go above 180 rpm.  The max spin rate is supposed to be 1100.  The low setting is 400. 

Out of desperation for clean laundry, I ran another load, hoping for a miracle.  The tub seems to be wobbling around in there much more than before, but maybe this is just because it's going so slowly there's no centrifugal force built up.  That load came out dripping wet.  Still no error code.

We don't want to throw good money after bad.  The board cost just under $200 (although at most sites now it's over $300).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  We have a large family and live in a very rural area; the closest laundromat is 45 minutes away, and I now have a mountain of dirty laundry.

Thanks!

Central Control Unit 34001494 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy.

Offline westernva

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag MAH8700aww washer--wet clothes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
Logged on to see if there were any way to delete my prior post, but don't see a way.

The washer is fixed!  My husband simply overlooked the plug on the board for the motion sensor.  When we had it apart again tonight, I spotted it.  He straightened the pins on the damaged part, plugged it all in, and it works perfectly. 

After reading online about all the problems others have had with this machine, I just feel very blessed that ours has worked so well.

Thanks for giving me a place to post - - writing it all down helped me think it through.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
Glad to hear you found the problem.
Thanks for updating your topic.

Logged on to see if there were any way to delete my prior post, but don't see a way.

If we let people delete topics after they found the problem we would not have much of a forum. ;)

Your topic will help someone else down the road that runs into the same problem.

Thanks for posting.  O0

Offline westernva

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
If we let people delete topics after they found the problem we would not have much of a forum. ;)

LOL, I hadn't thought of it that way!

Blessings!

Offline Pehooper

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
I am trying to locate the instruction sheet for this new control board which was not included when I ordered it.    As with this person my old board did not have the control module and the new one does.   The PCB has a connection point but it is not evident where the control module itself should be mounted?  The instruction sheet for control board 34001494 is a Maytag document number 16027320 as reflected on other sites that sell this board

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »
Here you go...

Offline waterhousedavid

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster of 180 rpm spin.  I had the control board and the door lock changed now the machine locks/unlocks and drains like a champ but it now only spins at 180 RPMs.  I put in diagnostic mode and ran the quick spin test, that's how I know. With the old control board it spun at 1200. Ultimately my question is how do I access the control board to check and see it the technician missed the same plug the poster and her husband did?

Offline Pehooper

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
I recieved my new board today 34001494 and the kit says its supposed to come with a motion sensor,harness,  bracket and screws.   I recieved nothing with the kit except the main board although the instruction sheet that came with it say I should.   I see you can buy the harness and motion sensor on line but can't find anyplace that sells the bracket for the motion sensor.   

With they new board installed in my washer I exhibit the same problem very slow RPM

Anybody have any ideas where to locate such a bracket for the motion sensor?

Maytag Washer Damaging Clothes

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2644
Last post November 07, 2008, 06:51:27 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Washer clothes are soaked

Started by JohnG

Replies: 6
Views: 1986
Last post February 18, 2010, 12:12:19 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer clothes are soaked

Started by carolinablue28

Replies: 1
Views: 1165
Last post March 04, 2010, 04:41:25 PM
by AJ
Maytag washer, clothes are too wet after spinning.

Started by dbuck

Replies: 15
Views: 9186
Last post May 30, 2011, 06:30:20 PM
by AJ
Wet Clothes Maytag Neptune Washer

Started by Molly

Replies: 4
Views: 1023
Last post January 03, 2012, 07:12:26 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Maytag Neptune washer model MAH8700AWW