Author Topic: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.  (Read 28401 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
In this example we are using a Maytag model NAV5800AWW washer. If your Maytag or Amana washer has a service panel on the bottom front of the washer it should be the same as the one we used in this example.

In the photo below we show you some of the parts we will be working with.
The front panel has already been removed. The screws that hold the front panel on are easy to find and were at points A & B. Once you remove the front cover this is what you should see.

Here are the steps.

1. Disconnect the power to the washer, unplug it!

2. Remove the front panel.

3. Remove the spring. This is one strong spring. In the video you will see me use the hook from another spring to pull it off. I would guess you do not have a old spring to use like I did. What I use to do before was to clamp a vise grip on the top of the spring. This will give you a good grip so you can pull the spring up and off.

4. Remove the pump hoses. In the video we did not have to worry about catching the water. If you do not want to get your floor wet have lots of towels under and around the hoses when you remove them. If the washer is full of water bail out as much of the water as you can first. You can also try to lay the drain hose on the back of the washer down low and drain the water into a bucket.

5. Remove the bolts at points 3 and 4, as shown in the photo.

6. Remove the wire harness plug from the motor. There is a little plastic tab on top the plug that you have to press down for the wire harness to release from the motor. You may need a flashlight to take a good look at it so you can see what your doing to get it unplugged.

7. Remove bolts at points 1 and 2 as shown in the photo.

8. Remove the drive belt from the main center pulley. You can do this by just rolling the belt off of the pulley.

9. Remove the pump and motor assembly from the washer.

10. Make note of how the belt goes around the water pump mounts and the belt idler before taking the water pump off.

11. Remove the three torx screws that hold the old water pump on the motor mount.

Once you have the motor and pump removed it can be a little tricky to get the drive belt back on the correct way before putting the new water pump back on.

In this photo we show you how the belt should be. Keep it in this position and put the new water pump back on.

Most often it is best to replace the drive belt anytime you have to take one of these apart to replace the water pump.

It will be much easier to replace the drive belt now then to have to do this all again down the road.

Please feel free to ask any question. :)

Pump Part # 27001233

Belt Part # 27001006

Motor Part # 27001215

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:14:30 AM by AJ »
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline ptalbot

• VIP Member
Re: Video: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
What size torx driver is needed for the water pump screws? I only need to replace the belt, but have to remove the pump housing to do it, of course.

Also, instead of removing the motor, I dropped the bottom of the washer off (and got more than I expected...); will I be able to get everything back together and functional?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: Video: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
What size torx driver is needed for the water pump screws?

That's a good question. I don't know off the top of my head.

I am thinking it's a t-15 or t-20, but can't say for sure right now.

Maybe another tech will know for sure.

Also, instead of removing the motor, I dropped the bottom of the washer off (and got more than I expected...); will I be able to get everything back together and functional?

I don't see why you would not be able to get it back together.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:53:43 AM by AJ »
Follow us on Google+

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Here is the service manual for this washer.

16022937 Maytag Amana Top Load Washer Service Repair Manual
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:34:30 AM by AJ »
Follow us on Google+

Offline gbkl1941

• VIP Member
I needed to replace a broken belt so I have no idea exactly how the belt goes back on. 

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
I needed to replace a broken belt so I have no idea exactly how the belt goes back on.

Please start a new topic and include your model number.

RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline gbkl1941

• VIP Member
model number NAV5800AWW  need to know if the belt goes around the black wheel

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
The pump screws are #25 TORX
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline dpollitt

• VIP Member
Re: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
When I go to remove the bolts as pointed out in step5(3&4 in the picture) - they just turn instead of coming out.  I've tried a drill, and a hand wrench to remove them, but they just spin instead of coming out like most bolts.  No I am not going 'in' with the drill or the wrench.  I can just barely see the back of one of the bolts and it does look like it is threaded.  Thanks for any help.

Offline dpollitt

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
When I go to remove the bolts as pointed out in step5(3&4 in the picture) - they just turn instead of coming out.  I've tried a drill, and a hand wrench to remove them, but they just spin instead of coming out like most bolts.  No I am not going 'in' with the drill or the wrench.  I can just barely see the back of one of the bolts and it does look like it is threaded.  Thanks for any help.

Here are images of what the back of these bolts look like -
A top bolt - http://yfrog.com/5mimg0254xj
A bolt from the back of the motor mount - http://yfrog.com/juimg0247cj
And what my entire unit looks like - http://yfrog.com/1fimg0246zsj

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:06:26 AM »
You picked this topic up after 8 months...I believe we have given you the best advice so foar to solve the problem...obviously you did not read the first set of replies very well. as your pictures are the exact same ones that AJ  posted to help you.

You are trying to take out more than required. The only bolts needed to drop the motor/pump are the 2 bolt heads facing you at the motor sides and 2 above. Take the 2 lower ones out first!  If the top ones are slightly stripped as you imply, simply apply  hand pressure to the  metal hanger mount as you unscrew the bolt and it will come out. Use some force, girl :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline dpollitt

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
You picked this topic up after 8 months...I believe we have given you the best advice so foar to solve the problem...obviously you did not read the first set of replies very well. as your pictures are the exact same ones that AJ  posted to help you.

You are trying to take out more than required. The only bolts needed to drop the motor/pump are the 2 bolt heads facing you at the motor sides and 2 above. Take the 2 lower ones out first!  If the top ones are slightly stripped as you imply, simply apply  hand pressure to the  metal hanger mount as you unscrew the bolt and it will come out. Use some force, girl :)
Thanks for the reply!  I am taking out the same bolts that AJ described in the post.  The images that I took of the rear of the bolts were to illustrate the back of the bolts.  Since I could not get a camera behind the motor mount bolt, it is one of the support frame bolts that the photo is of.  But the back of the bolt required to come out is the same style. 

I have taken another image of exactly what I am trying to do.  It illustrates the 4 bolts to remove, as well as where I am putting manual force to try and free the motor mount.  I have attempted to free this by adding hand(pulling pressure), jamming a crowbar in as good as I could, and trying to get a chisel/hammer/etc in there.  There is very little room to work with so it has not provided much added force if the bolt was stripped. 

Here is the additional image which should help: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8480/img0261edit.jpg

Thanks repair-man!  Also do you know where the video went for this post?  That might be very helpful but it seems as though it is not available at the given link any longer.

Offline dpollitt

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
Success finally.  Three of the four bolts were stripped.  Ended up bending some metal and forcing the end of a hammer into each connection, and backed out the bolts.  Now I'm just hoping that the issue was the sock I found in the pump and breaking it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
Might as well replace the belt while you are at it, that is if you intend on replacing the pump. Better mark how the old belt was routed, others have had trouble.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dpollitt

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
I am going to replace the belt, and water pump.  I am hoping the image provided of the belt path through the pullys will help with reassembly.  It was pretty tough to even get the belt OFF, so I am assuming an even harder job of having to put it all back together.

I wanted to give others a tip: Since my screws were stripped, I called a local repair shop for replacements.  They wanted 7$ each for the Screw, 5/16 - 18 x .50 .  I went to my local hardware store - home depot and they had an inch long hardened steel replacement for about $1.  I wanted to find a 1/2 inch version so I found the identical part, in the highest quality hardened steel - at Fastenal.  Try this shop if you are in a similar situation.

I've attached an image of my water pump.  It looks pretty clear that the bearing or part that the motor turns is worn down to almost a circle shape when it should be almost rectangular.  It is also cracked.  I am crossing my fingers that this is the broken piece and my replacement will fix my lack of draining water at the end of the cycle!  Thanks ApplianceJunk!

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by dowens

Replies: 9
Views: 1654
Last post July 17, 2012, 12:34:48 AM
by tgoods
27001233 Maytag Amana Washer Water Pump

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5432
Last post April 05, 2009, 05:34:31 PM
by AJ
6-2022030 Maytag Amana Washer Water Drain Pump