In this example we are using a Maytag model NAV5800AWW
washer. If your Maytag or Amana washer has a service panel on the bottom front of the washer it should be the same as the one we used in this example.
In the photo below we show you some of the parts we will be working with.
The front panel has already been removed. The screws that hold the front panel on are easy to find and were at points A & B. Once you remove the front cover this is what you should see.
Here are the steps.
1. Disconnect the power to the washer, unplug it!
2. Remove the front panel.
3. Remove the spring. This is one strong spring. In the video you will see me use the hook from another spring to pull it off. I would guess you do not have a old spring to use like I did. What I use to do before was to clamp a vise grip on the top of the spring. This will give you a good grip so you can pull the spring up and off.
4. Remove the pump hoses. In the video we did not have to worry about catching the water. If you do not want to get your floor wet have lots of towels under and around the hoses when you remove them.
If the washer is full of water bail out as much of the water as you can first. You can also try to lay the drain hose on the back of the washer down low and drain the water into a bucket.
5. Remove the bolts at points 3 and 4, as shown in the photo.
6. Remove the wire harness plug from the motor. There is a little plastic tab on top the plug that you have to press down for the wire harness to release from the motor. You may need a flashlight to take a good look at it so you can see what your doing to get it unplugged.
7. Remove bolts at points 1 and 2 as shown in the photo.
8. Remove the drive belt from the main center pulley. You can do this by just rolling the belt off of the pulley.
9. Remove the pump and motor assembly from the washer.
10. Make note of how the belt goes around the water pump mounts and the belt idler before taking the water pump off.
11. Remove the three torx screws that hold the old water pump on the motor mount.
Once you have the motor and pump removed it can be a little tricky to get the drive belt back on the correct way before putting the new water pump back on.
In this photo we show you how the belt should be. Keep it in this position and put the new water pump back on.
Most often it is best to replace the drive belt anytime you have to take one of these apart to replace the water pump.
It will be much easier to replace the drive belt now then to have to do this all again down the road.
Please feel free to ask any question.
Pump Part # 27001233
Belt Part # 27001006
Motor Part # 27001215