Author Topic: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.  (Read 28433 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
Yeah you can clearly see the bearing has a crack in it
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline magician59

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
In this example we are using a Maytag model NAV5800 washer. If your Maytag or Amana washer has a service panel on the bottom front of the washer it should be the same as the one we used in this example.

Thanks for this tip. This beats the factory suggested procedure, i.e. removing the cabinet and working from the top down to roll the tub and base assembly out and upside down to access the parts. This does indeed acces all the parts, but it's a pain, if all you're doing is replacing a pump or a belt!

Please feel free to ask any question. :)

Offline brettnem

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
I've followed these directions and got stuck at removing the pump from the motor. I removed the 3 torx screws and then the pump just wouldn't let go.

My wife commented to me to "office space" it.. :)

I tried a lot of bad ideas.. but what eventually worked was sticking a crescent wrench between the pulley and the bottom of the pump and just prying the thing off. I'm really not sure what the right way to do this is.. The concern I had about the way I did it, of course, is bending the pulley itself..

Upon removing it, the inside of the bearing and the shaft going into it had a nice rusting to them..

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that it's tricky getting the belt off. I'm worried about getting it back on. For those who haven't done this before, there is a tensioner in the belt path and pushing on it significantly eases belt removal (ie: makes it possible). This may not be obvious to someone who hasn't replaced belts before. :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »
If you mess up the pulley you will need another motor. I have sawed them pumps off with a hacksaw and smoothed up the shaft afterwards. If you beat on it with a hammer you will ruin the motor. You must cut it off. I soak it with rust buster.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by dowens

Replies: 9
Views: 1667
Last post July 17, 2012, 12:34:48 AM
by tgoods
27001233 Maytag Amana Washer Water Pump

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5433
Last post April 05, 2009, 05:34:31 PM
by AJ
6-2022030 Maytag Amana Washer Water Drain Pump