Author Topic: LG LE error code - Stator/Windings test  (Read 7622 times)

Offline roodog

• VIP Member
Re: LG LE error code - Stator/Windings test
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
wow....LG is sticking by it's policy of not sending warranty parts to the general public. An $18 piece of plastic they know is continually defective. I live 70 miles from the nearest LG tech but they still insist I pay someone to make a phone call to send them the part, which they can then send to me.

I will NEVER, EVER buy LG again and will trash their brand to everyone and anyone who will listen.

Very shrewd PR decision LG.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »
The hall sensor is not covered under the motor warranty policy.  You can buy it online and have it shipped out to you.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
<<<wow....LG is sticking by it's policy of not sending warranty parts to the general public.>>>

What happens if the *diagnostics* is incorect---and the HALL EFFECT SENSOR has not failed?

Ask LG to send a free WIRE HARNESS? A new MAIN BOARD? Then a STATOR ASSY?

<<<An $18 piece of plastic they know is continually defective.>>>

The HALL EFFECT SENSOR is not "defective".
The original sensors were prone to damage by incorrect type or amount of detergent.
The soap & detergent industry recommends excessive amounts of detergent (dosage instructions)
This causes the sensor to overheat (resistor) during each load of laundry.
Eventually the sensor is damaged.
Newer sensors are more robust---to withstand *abuse*.

<<<The hall sensor is not covered under the motor warranty policy.>>>

HALL EFFECT SENSORS are warranted for 10 years (part only/not labor cost)
To "qualify" for a limited warranty/covered part for "free"---an authorized LG servicer must confirm that it has failed.
Since the sensor costs around $18.00---it makes sense for an owner to replace it themselves rather than pay a servicer the diagnostics fee/labor charges.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
I had a heated discussion with the regional rep a while back and they told me that the hall sensor is not a covered part.  However the motor does come with the hall sensor in the assembly.  If they changed the policy, that's news to me.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
Effective March 2008

Offline roodog

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
"(2) did the QC test for low drum spin (IF81) and first time it groaned, second time, nothing....test voltage output with just power on (nothing...expected?), then tested in QC test mode...still nothing?

does this mean the power board is faulty.....any double check of this, just so I know I'm not making another rookie mistake? "

ordered/received another Hall Sensor and still not getting resistance on blue/white red/white?? supposedly brand new part....would (another) faulty Hall Sensor still cause no voltage from PCB Assembly to Stator? I tried QC Test for spin speed and nothing!

any thoughts.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
Remove the WIRE HARNESS which "runs" from the HALL EFFECT SENSOR to the blue-colored plug at the back/rear of the washer (less than 20 inches length).

Have an assistant hold the WIRE HARNESS.

Test the continuity of each wire (4 wires total) while your helper moves/bends the wire one-at-a-time.
If there's a "break" in one of the wires---remove the tape---repair the wire---re-tape the wires.
Re-install the WIRE HARNESS---add a new NYLON WIRE TIE to secure the WIRE HARNESS to the base of the washer---but allow some *slack* for tub gyration/movement during the spin cycle.

Test washer.

Offline roodog

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
I have tested at the Main Board, also at the 1st harness you mention, finally the HE Sensor itself, both when it is still connected to the Stator and then just on it's own....nothing

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
We're not looking for *voltage*.

It's super-imperative that the 4 wires on the HARNESS---from the back of the washer-to-the-HALL EFFECT SENSOR be inspected for CONTINUITY (not voltage).

Once in awhile---a wire breaks/fails ***inside*** the one of the wires.
The insulation of the wire can be undamaged.
Test the WIRES---patiently & thoroughly.

Offline roodog

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
no, I was referring to continuity, as per the testing protocol on previous blogs...ie. Test Points (1) to (2) (White and Red) and (1) to (3) (White and Blue) should read cont of 8-12kOhm ..............wait, a previous tech told me to use the 200 Ohm setting on my digital multimemeter....but going back to what I thought was correct (20k) these register 9.5 to 9.8.....is THIS correct and is this HE sensor fine? (I tested my original one on the 20k setting and the white/blue had no cont) if so, does that mean it is ONLY the main board (PWB?) as I am not getting any voltage on my QC spin test?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
Remove this HARNESS and verify that each individual wire has continuity from one end to the other.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Wire-Harness/6877ER1016B/1268330

Offline roodog

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
checked both 4 wire HE and 3 wire Stator from PWB to Stator connectors.....end to end....all read around 0.9 on 200 Ohm setting....so no breaks, correct?

.....so still the burning question being....should I get some voltage output at Motor Drive (3 wire) at the board when doing a QC Test diagnostic for low/high spin speed....if I have ruled out the HE sensor as the cause, does this leave only the PWB Assembly?

as some background, I tried to perform this test  before....it groaned at the first attempt and did nothing on the second....I tested for voltage and nothing exiting PWB (nor reaching the stator or harnesses either obviously)

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
When an LG washer has an "LE" error (that will NOT reset after unplugging the washer) in most cases the HALL EFFECT SENSOR is at fault.

Since you've replaced the HALL EFFECT SENSOR---the next most likely cause will be a broken wire in the WIRE HARNESS leading to the sensor.

When testing the continuity of the sensor WIRE HARNESS---it is important to flex the harness while test continuity.
It is not unusual to find a faulty/failed wire within the harness---that gives continuity---until it has been flexed/moved.
If a wire has been found to be at fault---the damage will usually be found (if looking at the photo of the harness in an earlier post)---under the white tape of the harness---at the 5 o'clock position on the photo.

If the WIRE HARNESS is not at fault---then the MAIN BOARD is the next "suspect" (very rare).

To properly test MAIN BOARD output:

Unplug Washer

Remove the rear access panel

Place the test meter leads into the plug (do not disconnect the plug) connections BLUE & GRAY at the HALL EFFECT SENSOR.

Plug in washer

Press Power button (only)

The test meter should show: 10 to 15 volts DC (direct current)

If not---replace the MAIN BOARD.

NOTE: When ordering a new MAIN BOARD for a WM2277 washer---ALWAYS provide the SERIAL NUMBER.
Several production changes were made to this model washer before it was discontinued.
There at least 3 different MAIN BOARD part numbers for the same model number washer.
Only a SERIAL NUMBER assures receiving the correct MAIN BOARD.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:09:08 PM by john63 »

Whirlpool electronic error code

Started by roxgirl

Replies: 1
Views: 5615
Last post July 25, 2007, 08:15:36 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 14100
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Kitchenaid Washer F11 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5462
Last post March 23, 2008, 07:06:27 AM
by TechnicianBrian
error code F-05