Author Topic: whirlpool frig wont defrost  (Read 2433 times)

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
whirlpool frig wont defrost
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
Hi I have a whirlpool Refrigerator built in 2002

Model   GR2SHTXKS01
Type    C22TFA02
Ser       EMO533294

Freezer won’t defrost.

I’ve replaced 3 parts, to cover my butt.  Thermostat ( PartSelect Number PS329884 ) , and Clip-On Bimetal Defrost Thermostat (Part Number: PS371255 )and lastly Adaptive Defrost Control Board (Part Number: PS988248) I’ve also checked for continuity in the Defrost Heater wire, has continuity , but doesn’t heat up and still freezes up doesn’t defrost   

What’s left? If there’s continuity in the Defrost heater is that a 100% OK? . Since I changed to the newer electric defrost timer I cannot force it into defrost mode to check the defrost heater wire again although I did that with the old mechanical defrost timer ( to click) and had no heat in the defrost heater wires.

Thermostat and frig with new parts does shut down in off position in turning the plastic "settings" knob. All seems well there so what’s going wrong? Only thing left not new is the defrost heater (black ) wire in the freezer

My mechanical ability is very good. I was thinking to unplug the defrost board and jump wires to force the Defrost mode but have no clue the sequence. I did take the old mechanical Defrost timer apart before I bought parts and cleaned the metal contact fingers and noticed how they interact mechanically to power on the defrost mode. But I threw that out which could have given me that sequence. So here I am STUCK and need help.

Does anyone know how to jump those wires, or am I wasting my time and got a bad Defrost board? 

Regards M…

Offline ioerror001

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • All Better Appliance
Re: whirlpool frig wont defrost
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »
You either have a bad defrost board or there is a broken wire somewhere, you did test the defrost terminator correct? These have to cycle to tell the board the unit has warmed or cooled. The board is usually labeled with 120v and def .... I can pull a diagram if you need but you just jumper that and you can test the defrost cycle.

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
You either have a bad defrost board or there is a broken wire somewhere, you did test the defrost terminator correct? These have to cycle to tell the board the unit has warmed or cooled. The board is usually labeled with 120v and def .... I can pull a diagram if you need but you just jumper that and you can test the defrost cycle.

I tested the old mechanical timer buy turning the plastic screw and heard the “click” to force the defrost mode and no heat in freezer defrost loop coil. That’s the only test I did, which I figured the old timer defrost board was bad and replaced it with the electronic one I listed..

I’m not up on all lingo, what’s the “defrost terminator ”  The Defrost board  ( thats in the frig ceiling area beside the thermostat which tells the freezer when to defrost?

This is what I replaced.
http://www.partselect.com/PS988248-Whirlpool-2304099-Adaptive-Defrost-Control-Board.htm?SourceCode=1&SearchTerm=gr2shtxks01&ModelNum=gr2shtxks01

Is this the “Defrost terminator.

A diagram would help. I looked at the standard diagram to order parts, is that the one you referring too?

I’m also curious how the wire leads interact.

Looking down on the fridge thermostat I have 2 wire leads orange on right red on the left. Orange goes to the electric module defrost control board. Red also goes to the thermostat.

On the plug to the Defrost time electric module timer defrost board has 4 slots for wires.

Slot 1, Pink that goes back into the fridge back area
Slot 2, Brown that also goes into the fridge back area.
Slot 3, Orange that goes to the thermostat
Slot 4,  2 Reds, One goes to the thermostat and also to the back of the fridge.

Which wires to I tie together to jump and retest heater wire in freezer, or am I way off here and? Wires look good. Fridge slowly started this problem.

I hate to order another Defrost timer not knowing If it’s a malfunctioning piece..

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »
It looks like if the original Defrost Timer was mechanical
the replacement needs to be mechanical

from the Tech Sheets:

EMBRACO                                     MATSUSHITA
                                                                         EMU 60         EGY60         EGY70                 DA51             DA57
DEFROST TIMER ( MECH. OR ADC ) (NOTE #7)     2213100     (NOTE #7)     2213100          (NOTE #7)      2193084

* 7. THE PART NUMBER CAN BE FOUND ON THE COMPONENT.
USE A REPLACEMENT PART OF SIMILAR PERFORMANCE
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:54:27 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:19 AM »
It looks like if the original Defrost Timer was mechanical
the replacement needs to be mechanical

from the Tech Sheets:

EMBRACO                                     MATSUSHITA
                                                                         EMU 60         EGY60         EGY70                 DA51             DA57
DEFROST TIMER ( MECH. OR ADC ) (NOTE #7)     2213100     (NOTE #7)     2213100          (NOTE #7)      2193084

* 7. THE PART NUMBER CAN BE FOUND ON THE COMPONENT.
USE A REPLACEMENT PART OF SIMILAR PERFORMANCE

Ohboy, I threw the old one out....

Do you know where to order the Mechchnial one? Back my other question. Is the Defrost terminator the Defrost control board? And what wires to Jump since I threw out my old mechanical Defrost “ board”

Also I see a lot of numbers here which one is the ‘Key: number to link for that replacement  part?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
Defrost consists of a timer, a heater, and a termination thermostat to kill the power to the heater when the temp gets warm enough inside to melt the frost. The defrost takes 21 minutes. If the heater stayed on for 21 minutes it would no be pretty. A round disc abouyt the size of a nickle is attached to the evap coils. It closes contacts inside @ 25f and it opens contacts within @50f typically. Look for swelling of the terminaton disc or other physical evidence of failure or simply replace the termination thermostat if in doubt.

Hotpoint ice box repair pix

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:53:46 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
Defrost Timer may be dependent on Compressor model number
Defrost Terminator clipped onto Evaporator Coils
click on picture

although, the Parts List & Diagrams for that model show the electronic ADC,
and a "normal" Defrost Timer woul;n't plug into the Connector
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:23:45 AM by RegUS_PatOff »

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Defrost consists of a timer, a heater, and a termination thermostat to kill the power to the heater when the temp gets warm enough inside to melt the frost. The defrost takes 21 minutes. If the heater stayed on for 21 minutes it would no be pretty. A round disc abouyt the size of a nickle is attached to the evap coils. It closes contacts inside @ 25f and it opens contacts within @50f typically. Look for swelling of the terminaton disc or other physical evidence of failure or simply replace the termination thermostat if in doubt.

Hotpoint ice box repair pix

1. Fridge Thermostat that you adjust in the refrigerator if for level of coldness

2. Time board to tell the frig when to defrost

3. Clip on termination thermostat to tell the Heater wire to shut down so freezer doesn’t overheat when defrosting.

That’s my puzzle here..

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
Defrost Terminator clipped onto Evaporator Coils
click on picture

although, the Parts List & Diagrams for that model show the electronic ADC,
and a "normal" Defrost Timer woul;n't plug into the Connector

Thats exactly what I installed as I listed its part number in my first post. So whats the next step?

Regrads  M

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5If-wTgYWH5YmJkOGNmMDItM2ZlMS00Nzk5LThmNGMtMzhiODNjMTkyM2Ri&hl=en

Whirlpool auto defrost manual

Hi JW,  I think you might have nailed it… WOW what a perfect Electrical Diagram… My fridge is a 2000 and it may have NOT been the one that was upgraded with the ADC

My unit was the standard mechanical timer, so according to the site you posted it wont work. Again unfortunately I threw the old timer to get its numbers. I dint think it was important. I also thought the newer electrical ADC was an upgrade to modernize the fridge.

The other reason I thought the ADC was an upgrade because Parts Select gave no option for a mechanical Defrost timer. So next question was how do I get out of this pickle not knowing the numbers of the old timer and where to order a mechanical Defrost timer??

Next thought even though I have the newer ADC could I force it into Defrost mode by following the steps listed on the Site you posted,  and “Trick” the fridge/Freezer into defrost mode just to activate for a very brief time to heat up the black line in the freezer under the cooling coils...

Regards M.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline ohboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Thanks RegUS

I’m laughing it gets deeper and deeper. I will tear into to that tomorrow for numbers if that helps. Thanks for the tip!!!

Regards M.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
Most whirlpool timer have the standard 2143 timer. Just get a generic cc808 and party on dude.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/UET120/1557914?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=CC808
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/Appliance-Parts/pro-universal-electronic-item-number-ap4503409.aspx?pn_=cc808

notice the wire coming out with a clip. That is impotantante. It drives the motor. In MOST applications you want to slip that wire on number 1, while some exotic models use number 2 (this is rare).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:50:26 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 15977
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Refrigerator - Not running, replaced defrost timer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7702
Last post May 09, 2008, 01:05:15 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool ice maker stopped working after bucket defrost

Started by stream41

Replies: 23
Views: 3885
Last post December 07, 2012, 12:32:18 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Refrigerator Model GI7FVCXWY01 frig not cooling.

Started by ranway

Replies: 7
Views: 1857
Last post September 12, 2011, 09:30:44 PM
by ranway
Whirlpool fridge freezer, defrost timer location

Started by cahornsey

Replies: 6
Views: 10495
Last post July 27, 2009, 08:30:44 PM
by JWWebster
8178726 Whirlpool Refrigerator Defrost Control Service Manual